[GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G Outdated

3,667 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,783

Thread Closed Email Thread
7th September 2010, 11:04 PM |#2031  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Been rooted for a week or 2 now since I got the EVO through work. Got it done on first attempt, as well as 2nd, 3rd, and soon to be 4th... The process was so easy I decided to voluntarily root my co-workers EVOs. And yes, our entire department got one, through some of my own influence of course Slapped on Fresh's Rom to boot and saved the company the extra $30 for Hotspot capabilities!

I must say, this is by far, the easiest method of rooting/hacking/modding any/all of my HTC phones. I had Tilt and Diamond prior to this, and both were modded, but this one was definitely less painful. Thanks for the clear instructions!

7th September 2010, 11:14 PM |#2032  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
problems
everything works fine till i get to this point. cd /data/local
./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

and i reboot my phone and go backwards like it says and nothing happens.
what i'm i doing wrong please help.
8th September 2010, 02:42 AM |#2033  
Flag W. Palm Bch

More
Pulling out hair
I got almost through part one where you boot up the bootloader here is what I get................................SD Checking pc36img.zip
No image
loading no image or wrong image

Main Version is Older
Update fail!

Do you want to reboot device?

I checked the Sd card and the image (zip) is there. Thanks for any and all help!!
8th September 2010, 05:26 AM |#2034  
Flag Valrico, FL
Thanks Meter: 9

More
After reading tons of threads I found the Unrevoked3 exe which states At this time, unrevoked3 does NOT work on stock Froyo (Android 2.2) phones. My question is I followed the how to root the HTC EVO 4G with Froyo 2.2 part 1 video and have the phone to 2.1-update 1. I tried to finish part2 but couldn't find the unrevoked3 package. So my question is since I rolled back will the unrevoked work on my phone?
8th September 2010, 06:07 AM |#2035  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
stuck on unrevoked.exe
Thanks for all the input but I am stuck on the part where I use unrevoked.exe I don't know if its a prob but because the new version of unrevoked was taken down so I tried the previous version suggested on that webpage and used it with the new modified usb drivers and when I run unrevoked I get to very end then it says flash failed. I done everything else right up to that point and am stuck so if anyone has any ideas to what went wrong please let
me know. Thank you.
8th September 2010, 06:14 AM |#2036  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajm

I got almost through part one where you boot up the bootloader here is what I get................................SD Checking pc36img.zip
No image
loading no image or wrong image

Main Version is Older
Update fail!

Do you want to reboot device?

I checked the Sd card and the image (zip) is there. Thanks for any and all help!!

This is because the
Code:
command failed. try that again. you will probably need to run the exploit again.
8th September 2010, 06:30 AM |#2037  

More
Root Evo
if my phone is stock with android 2.2 whats the point of stocking it with android 2.1 to root it back to 2.2? i just want my tethering lol please help
8th September 2010, 06:57 AM |#2038  
Flag Schofield Barracks
Thanks Meter: 113

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonklan

if my phone is stock with android 2.2 whats the point of stocking it with android 2.1 to root it back to 2.2? i just want my tethering lol please help

Since you aren't up to speed as to why this process downgrades only to upgrade back to the same rom, you would be better off using the one click method found on this same subforum.
8th September 2010, 07:00 AM |#2039  
Flag Schofield Barracks

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by regaw_leinad

This is because the

Code:
command failed. try that again. you will probably need to run the exploit again.

Regaw you should link to the one click method in your op for people who aren't comfortable with this method.
8th September 2010, 07:04 AM |#2040  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethyEVO

Regaw you should link to the one click method in your op for people who aren't comfortable with this method.

Not until it is officially released. I will when I get the green light from Matt, but not until then, for whoever uses the mediafire/megaupload versions of unrEVOked 3.2 are ON THEIR OWN with support, due to the short pull back because of a small bug. I will update the OP when it is released again to the public.
8th September 2010, 07:22 AM |#2041  
Flag Schofield Barracks

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by regaw_leinad

Not until it is officially released. I will when I get the green light from Matt, but not until then, for whoever uses the mediafire/megaupload versions of unrEVOked 3.2 are ON THEIR OWN with support, due to the short pull back because of a small bug. I will update the OP when it is released again to the public.

I understand that.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
(.y.), awesomesauce, downgrade 2.1, evo 2.2 root, evo 2.2 stock root, froyo, regaw, rootastic, titties!!
Previous Thread Next Thread