FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 GPU

[OBSOLETE] Flash ANY official firmware on your phone using Kies.

561 posts
Thanks Meter: 57

By mickeko, Senior Member on 27th August 2010, 01:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
When mucking about with firmwares and such, it's always nice to know that you can revert back to the original line of firmwares should there be a problem. It's now possible (100% restoration is only possible for regions that has had an official update already).

Special thanks to Zangieff, whose finding made this hack possible.

You can actually use this hack to get any official firmware update available on Kies installed on your phone regardless of your phones region (assuming you have the correct data available).

Check the replies for an appropriate region with code. If you can't find one, it's likely not discovered yet (or has not had any kind of upgrade by Kies).

1) Start Kies. Start the upgrade software and make sure the upgrade software detects your phone properly.

2) If your preferred region requires you to have test mode ON, press CTRL-ALT-U-P. You should get a popup window stating that Test mode is ON. (Test mode is disabled in the most recent Kies versions, as far as I know it's also unused, so there's no real benefit in downgrading to get it)

3) Now close down the update program (Do not close Kies).

4) Run regedit, and browse to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Samsung/Kies/DeviceDB/. Under it you have a bunch of numbered keys, find the one that contains the relevant keys (HIDSWVER and ProductCode). If you find more than one HIDSWVER and ProductCode modify the number that also have a key with the IMEI of the phone you wish to upgrade.

5. Replace HIDSWVER and ProductCode with the apropriate values.

6. Launch the upgrade software, and update your firmware.

Enjoy your new firmware.

27th August 2010, 01:22 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Stockholm

More
About the hack:

There seems to be confusion about what this hack REALLY does, so I'll take this space to explain it a bit further.

Every region has a RegionCode (some operators have their own RegionCode too), to ensure people get appropriately localized firmwareupdates. This hack allows the user to trick Kies into thinking the phone is a phone from another region (or with another firmware version). It means you can get a firmwareupdate from a different region on your phone. It does NOT mean you can magically enter a code to have a localized firmware supplied where none has been released. However, should you have a branded phone there is a CHANCE (not all regions have officially released updates) that an update has been released for unbranded phones in your region. If that's the case, all you should need to do is figure out appropriate settings for the registry keys, and Kies will allow you to "upgrade" to an unbranded localized firmware. There is no way for Kies to automatically make hebrew (or any other language not available in chinese firwmares) available in a chinese firmware. Which means that you will NOT retain your localized settings should you upgrade to that chinese firmware.

Here's a list of currently known codes. Please post any codes not listed here that you find, I'll add to this list as they are discovered.

Sweden: (Currently upgrades to I9000XWJM2/I9000XEEJM1/I9000XWJM1)
ProductCode: XEE
HIDSWVER: I9000XXJF3/I9000SWC/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3
Test Mode: OFF

TMN Region (portugal? spain? Something ): (Currently upgrades to XWJM8)
ProductCode: GT-I9000HKDTMN
HIDSWVER: I9000XWJM2/I9000TMNJM1/I9000XXJM1/I9000XWJM2
Test Mode: OFF

Unknown region: (currently unverified, will test when I have an opportunity)
ProductCode=GT-I9000HKDXSG
HIDSWVER=I9000JPJG8/I9000OJPJG9/I9000JXJG2/I9000JPJG8
Test Mode: Probably not necessary
27th August 2010, 06:08 PM |#3  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 5

More
United Kingdom
ProductCode: XEU
HIDSWVER: I9000XXJF3/I9000OXAJF3/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3
Test Mode: ON

Upgrades to Official XXJM1. With mickeko`s settings i get the XWJM2 official ROM.

Going to try some more combinations, I need the one for Orange Romania :P

Multi CSC Europe
ProductCode: VDI
HIDSWVER: I9000XWJFB/I9000OXX/I9000XXJF5/I9000XWJFB
Test Mode: ON

Upgrades to official XWJM2 with OXX *Multi CSC* (for Austria, Baltic, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Switzerland)
28th August 2010, 07:09 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeko

When mucking about with firmwares and such, it's always nice to know that you can revert back to the original line of firmwares should there be a problem. It's now possible (100% restoration is only possible for regions that has had an official update already).

Special thanks to Zangieff, whose finding made this hack possible.

You can actually use this hack to get any official firmware update available on Kies installed on your phone regardless of your phones region (assuming you have the correct data available).

Check the replies for an appropriate region with code. If you can't find one, it's likely not discovered yet (or has not had any kind of upgrade by Kies).

1) Start Kies. Start the upgrade software and make sure the upgrade software detects your phone properly.

2) If your preferred region requires you to have test mode ON, press CTRL-ALT-U-P. You should get a popup window stating that Test mode is ON.

3) Now close down the update program (Do not close Kies).

4) Run regedit, and browse to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Samsung/Kies/DeviceDB/. Under it you have a bunch of numbered keys, find the one that contains the relevant keys. (HIDSWVER and ProductCode)

5. Replace HIDSWVER and ProductCode with the apropriate values.

6. Launch the upgrade software, and update your firmware.

Enjoy your new firmware.

i have just checked my registry and there are 2 number with, HIDSWVER & ProductCode, these are numbers 2 & 8, so which do i edit.
28th August 2010, 07:14 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Great job. Well done
28th August 2010, 07:19 PM |#6  

More
this imo needs to be stickied but with a better title and slighty better description.

there was a post somewhere on here with .reg files that can just be run.

does this allow you to upgrade to any firmware from any firmware? my current flashed firmware says it cannot be upgraded. not that its upto date, but that it actually cannot be upgraded.

EDIT:

1. To the guy above asking about the 2 sets of keys with HIDSWVER in, im guessing that you've connected to Kies. Thats the case with mine, where i can clearly see my device, on JM1 and my girlfriends i connected today and was going to update, which is JF3 still. Hope this helps.

2. So if i replace my value 'I9000XWJM1/I9000OXXJG7/I9000XXJG6/I9000XWJM1' with my girlriends 'I9000XXJF3/I9000OXAJF3/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3' then ill be shown i can update to the official JM1? Does this have any complications either during installation, or because my device is already on JM1. Kies does a full flash anyway doesnt it ?

current question: (solved thanks to OP) Does this (upgrading to JM1) have any complications during installation because my device is already on JM1?
28th August 2010, 07:57 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Stockholm

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi_

this imo needs to be stickied but with a better title and slighty better description.

Yes, the title is bad... I should have considered it better before posting, as I can't change it now.

EDIT: Ah, I needed to go to advanced mode to change the title.. Hope it's better now.

If you feel there's something that's unclear/flawed please do tell and I'll change it appropriately.

Quote:

there was a post somewhere on here with .reg files that can just be run.

.reg files is not really viable as the number of the registry key is not always the same.

Quote:

does this allow you to upgrade to any firmware from any firmware? my current flashed firmware says it cannot be upgraded. not that its upto date, but that it actually cannot be upgraded.

Yes. You can flash any firmware available on Kies over firmware from any region and any version. You do need to have the data from an upgradable phone though.

Quote:

2. So if i replace my value 'I9000XWJM1/I9000OXXJG7/I9000XXJG6/I9000XWJM1' with my girlriends 'I9000XXJF3/I9000OXAJF3/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3' then ill be shown i can update to the official JM1? Does this have any complications either during installation, or because my device is already on JM1. Kies does a full flash anyway doesnt it ?

Just make sure ProductCode also matches and it should be possible. In test mode it seems to be possible to reflash even if the firmware version is already available on the phone.

Quote:

current question: Does this (upgrading to JM1) have any complications during installation because my device is already on JM1?

None that I know of.

And also: If you have multiple keys with HIDSWVER and ProductCode, I'm guessing you have connected more than one SGS on your computer. If that's the case, modify the keys where you find the IMEI of the phone you want to upgrade. (I'll add this to the original post too)
28th August 2010, 10:05 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeko

Yes, the title is bad... I should have considered it better before posting, as I can't change it now.

EDIT: Ah, I needed to go to advanced mode to change the title.. Hope it's better now.

If you feel there's something that's unclear/flawed please do tell and I'll change it appropriately.

.reg files is not really viable as the number of the registry key is not always the same.

Yes. You can flash any firmware available on Kies over firmware from any region and any version. You do need to have the data from an upgradable phone though.

Just make sure ProductCode also matches and it should be possible. In test mode it seems to be possible to reflash even if the firmware version is already available on the phone.

None that I know of.

And also: If you have multiple keys with HIDSWVER and ProductCode, I'm guessing you have connected more than one SGS on your computer. If that's the case, modify the keys where you find the IMEI of the phone you want to upgrade. (I'll add this to the original post too)

nope mate im the only one with an SGS in the house, and im the only one with access to my laptop, so dont know how i have multiple keys, either way i try it im getting a mtp connecting lopp atm, so im guessing i need to format the phone internal sd card, just have to find a decent free tool to back everything up now.
28th August 2010, 10:14 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty_uk

nope mate im the only one with an SGS in the house, and im the only one with access to my laptop, so dont know how i have multiple keys, either way i try it im getting a mtp connecting lopp atm, so im guessing i need to format the phone internal sd card, just have to find a decent free tool to back everything up now.

if you check the keys mate, if they have the same device name but different build numbers, then thats just when youve connected your device on different firmwares. If i was you id delete one of the 'folders' say 8, then connect your device and see if it creates another one, then use that, if not use the other one you had. (dont forget to refresh in regedit!)

sorry if that wasnt clear

btw to backup a free tial MyBackup in market, or Titanium if you have root.

¬ to the OP, the title is great now! the .reg files i was talking about were for each individual firmware! mad i know, but some members probably wont get this, and installing a key is probably easier for them. thanks for clearing things up!
28th August 2010, 10:22 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Just delete the entire Samsung entry
it will be recreated upon starting kies
and your device will be in number 1
28th August 2010, 10:35 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi_

if you check the keys mate, if they have the same device name but different build numbers, then thats just when youve connected your device on different firmwares. If i was you id delete one of the 'folders' say 8, then connect your device and see if it creates another one, then use that, if not use the other one you had. (dont forget to refresh in regedit!)

sorry if that wasnt clear

btw to backup a free tial MyBackup in market, or Titanium if you have root.

¬ to the OP, the title is great now! the .reg files i was talking about were for each individual firmware! mad i know, but some members probably wont get this, and installing a key is probably easier for them. thanks for clearing things up!

nope i have not flashed it or routed it yet for that matter, and i did a yahoo search for a backup program, using the trial of MyBackup which it if works how i expect it to ill purchase it as it will be good to keep things backed up, was fed up having to re-do all my phone entries when i got the replacement SGS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omrij

Just delete the entire Samsung entry
it will be recreated upon starting kies
and your device will be in number 1

yeah i was thinking the same but wasnt sure if it needed it to run in the first place.

edit: i have now just restored my phone back to factory settings, using the factory reset option in privacy in the settings menu.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)