[TOOL] Enable APP2SD on Froyo 2.2 devices without the need for root permissions

Search This thread

jopps

Jan 25, 2009
Thanks I have managed to register, I have a direct link for registration but the forum is not allowing me to post links as I'm new user.

although I'm a registered user from 01 2009 haha

Last edited:

gothique2k

Mar 17, 2009
Jakarta
thanks pal, it works flawlessly for now.. previously i have low disk space on my miley. but now after i move some games and huge apps i have 50MB+ free space on my internal memory..

crash_194

Mar 27, 2008
Only problem I'm having at the minute is with widgets. They work fine until the phone is either turned off or rebooted and then they just crash and disappear and don't work. I've tried moving them to the phone memory but this doesn't work either.

It's not a major problem, but just wondered if anyone had experienced the same thing and could offer a solution?

Regards

crash_194

Mar 27, 2008
in the meantime i've just removed the patch, installed the widgets i want, and then re-applied the patch. Only thing i'm left wondering is if i install any future updates for the widgets, will they be forced on to the sd card?

mattibal

Nov 3, 2010
I've discovered how this application works...
It has inside a batch file that execute the command "adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2"

So you don't need to waste time using this application, you can simply enable usb debug, open an adb shell in your computer and launch:
Code:
pm setInstallLocation 2
to enable the patch, or
Code:
pm setInstallLocation 0
to disable the patch :)

Actually this thing isn't a patch, it's simply a native android command.

I've seen that if you launch these command in a terminal on the phone they doesn't work unless you have root. Without root the pm process is killed after you launch it.

Last edited:

NallePhu

Dec 15, 2006
I've discovered how this application works...
It has inside a batch file that execute the command "adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2"

So you don't need to waste time using this application, you can simply enable usb debug, open an adb shell in your computer and launch:
Code:
pm setInstallLocation 2
to enable the patch, or
Code:
pm setInstallLocation 0
to disable the patch :)

Actually this thing isn't a patch, it's simply a native android command.

I've seen that if you launch these command in a terminal on the phone they doesn't work unless you have root. Without root the pm process is killed after you launch it.

Nice, a question thou. How do I "open a adb shell on my PC???
Being a total Android-newbee....

Edit: I tried it with some help of a friend, but lost connection to my SD-card for normal use. I saw in settings/applications that one app now was moveable to SD-card but trying it was unsuccessful.

Last edited:

NallePhu

Dec 15, 2006
Nice work pal! works on my HTC Desire running 2.2 Froyo. Non-rooted. Quick question, how the hell does it work? does it trick it into thinking its possible to move the app to SD card?

I tried on my Desire but after applying the patch (I did this, as mentioned later in this topic: pm setInstallLocation 2) I seemed to loose contact with the SD-card. I saw that apps became moveable to SD-card but when I pressed the button it failed.

Did you have any problems with this? Did you use the patch file or as I mention above?

Jan 12, 2010

rTiGd2

Nov 9, 2010
Bristol
tigster.net
Be aware that as the SD card is mounted AFTER the phone boot, some stuff just won't work as expected after you reboot. I'm not sure if the mount happens as the last stage of booting (before all apps that are registered to be notified on boot completion) but if it is, then you'll have problems with widgets etc that require this notification, so may need to manually start them.

Quite interesting way of getting around the problem, I was thinking it may be possible to edit the manifest of other applications in this way but quite honestly, it would be much nicer to see developers create their apps so they can be moved. In the case of apps that need to have a post boot notification, it would be easier to create a small service app that waits for the SD card to be mounted and then pass any required messages to the main app.

Mad Majk

Sep 1, 2008
Katowice
BTW, does anyone know a way to change the 15MB limit of "Low on space" popup to a lower one? I wonder if You could do something to get the popup to appear at 5MB for instance, instead of 15MB. The popup blocks any installation / update functions of the Market, witch sucks really.