FORUMS

[TUTORIAL] Flash Epic to Cricket.

19 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By synnmox, Junior Member on 11th September 2010, 07:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
--**Here's a method to get the Epic flashed to cricket with internet and apps***--

***Edit- I cleaned up my post and attached a good PRL to use (42700) and "ConnectBot.apk". I also believe I have MMS sorted out. I'm gonna double check everything later tonight to make sure there's no issues and I'll update my post accordingly.

---Requirements---
*Download and install Qpst. 2.7 build 355
*Download and install normal Epic 4g drivers.
*Cricket prl. (42700 PRL is what I recommend. I've attached it to my post)
*USB Cable
*Your MSL.(I attached connectbot to my post in case you need it)

---Getting your MSL---
-If you know your MSL already you can skip this part and start at the "Getting started and setting up QPST".
1. Find and install "Connectbot" found in the market or at the bottom of my post.
2. Select the dropdown box on the bottom left that says "SSH", and choose "local". Put whatever you'd like in the nickname box and hit "enter".
3. Click on "Android".
4. Use the command "getprop ril.MSL" and hit "enter".
5. Your MSL should now be displayed.

...If that doesnt work...
1.Type "getprop" instead.
2. It should show a long list, scroll down to the section that starts with "ril".
3. You should see "ril.msl", the 6 digit MSL number will be after that.

---Getting started and setting up QPST---
1. Plug in your phone to your computer and when prompted to choose between "Charging, mass storage, or tethered modem", choose "Tethered modem", then choose "3g modem".

2. Open up QPST > "QPST Configuration". Click on the "Add new port" on the bottom right. Uncheck mark the "Show serial and USB ports only". In the box above it, you should see your phone connected and the corresponding COM port. Select it and the "Port" and "Port label" will autofill. Hit "Ok".

3. Open up QPST > Service programming. Select your phone in the "Select an active phone" box.
Click on "Read from phone" and enter your SPC when prompted.

***(Note: If you are having trouble with QPST recognizing your phone, instead of using the "Tethered modem" method when plugging in your phone, dial ##8778# and switch both the "UART" and "USB" options to "MODEM". QPST should then see your phone. Revert the "MODEM" option in the previous menu to "PDA" when done.)

---For talk/text---
1. You will first write a new prl to your phone. Cricket prl 42700 is preferred.
2. Click on the "Roam tab at the top.
3. Click on the "browse" button under "Preferred roaming" and locate the prl file you wish to write.
4. Click on "Write to phone".
5. Let QPST do it's thing and voila, your new PRL will be written to your phone.

---For internet---
1. Click the "M.IP" tab (may be "M.IPv6") and set "Mobile IP Behavior" as "MOB + Simp".
Select any profiles listed under "user profiles" and click edit. Do the following for all profiles:
Make sure that "profile enabled" is checked and enter in the following:
NAI: [email protected]
Tethered NAI: [email protected]
2. Change "home address", "primary ha", and "secondary HA" to all zeros.
3. On both "HA Shared" and "AAA Shared Secret, select the "enter text string" and type in the following password (all lower case): "cricket".
4. Click "Ok".
5. Set active user as "0".
6. Click "PPP Config".
7. Click the "Um" Button.
8. Under user ID enter: [email protected] as well as for tethered NAI. If a text box is black with red lines in it, click it and press ctrl + D. Enter "cricket" in the password box.
9.Click the "AN" Button and repeat the last step.
10. Click "write to phone"...After that, you should now have the 3g icon on your phone.
11. Last step to get internet and apps working, if you're already activated on cricket, is to call customer service and have them switch you to the 55 dollar Android plan.

*Please note: They have a 55 dollar "All-in" plan, as well as the $55 Android one. So make sure you're put on the right one. I've had most luck by asking to speak with the "Smartphone department" and then requesting them to have my equipment and plan changed.

**Thanks to anderdroid for testing Android plan with fascinate.

Hope this helps! PM me if you need a download link for QPST.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 42700.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.2 KB, 1957 views)
File Type: apk ConnectBot.apk - [Click for QR Code] (705.2 KB, 1588 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to synnmox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift synnmox Ad-Free
12th September 2010, 01:43 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
how would if you do it using QPST?
I am still waiting for mine to arrive but I always use QPST to inject to other networks and unlock the EVDO
12th September 2010, 08:53 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
wait for further infomation, because i want to use it in China, where the carrier situation is a little complicated.
13th September 2010, 01:41 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
cdma isn't carrier locked, if its the same frequency then you should se if cricket will flash it for u
13th September 2010, 09:07 PM |#5  
denver, co
Thanks Meter: 71

More
cricket flash
do ##8778# and select modem to get com port, samsung default 16 digit password, write prl, and done. for talk and text
21st September 2010, 03:24 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc720

do ##8778# and select modem to get com port, samsung default 16 digit password, write prl, and done. for talk and text

what is samsung default 16 digit password? Where I could find the password for my samsung epic 4G. If some one could help me I will donate. thanks
21st September 2010, 04:39 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc720

Alternatively...you can install the regular Epic drivers and plug in the phone...when given the three choice prompt, choose "tethered modem"...then select 3G tether. The phone will then connect on a COM port and you can then connect to your phone using CDMA Workshop, QPST, or whichever programming tool you prefer and flash the prl that way. I'm still working on getting the data up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineung02

what is samsung default 16 digit password? Where I could find the password for my samsung epic 4G. If some one could help me I will donate. thanks

Default 16 digit should be 01F2030F5F678FF9, give it a try. You can also use CDMA Workshop to read and change your Epic's SPC, which is the way I prefer.
24th September 2010, 05:55 AM |#8  

More
So, quick question, do I need a specifically modded rom to run my Epic on Cricket, or is it that I can use any rom and then flash the phone??? I'd like to know this because I bought the phone off contract and would like to use it on Cricket. -thanks
24th September 2010, 09:30 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn619

So, quick question, do I need a specifically modded rom to run my Epic on Cricket, or is it that I can use any rom and then flash the phone??? I'd like to know this because I bought the phone off contract and would like to use it on Cricket. -thanks

Nope, doesn't need to be any specific rom. It can be whichever one, even the stock one.
25th September 2010, 02:07 AM |#10  

More
Talking
Sick!!! this makes my life so much easier thanks!
26th September 2010, 03:39 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I finally managed to write AN data parameter for EV-DO, using QPST 2.7 build 355, other version wont write the ev-do parameter. Data is ON now for my network.

This is only because my carrier using simple IP, I believe cricket is using a mobile IP, so the case might be different.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)