FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Usb host on dell streak

74 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By keatonreckard, Member on 13th September 2010, 03:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Looks like the streak might have usb host... if you look in the sdcard settings it has the option to unmount ums (usb mass storage) devices and the option to format them.

Im on the 8105 2.1 o2 rom on a us att dell streak.

Ill make a cable soon to test but was wondering if anyone else tried th already

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App
Attached Images

13th September 2010, 05:12 AM |#2  
Flag Cerritos
Thanks Meter: 21

More
If the option can be found in 1.6, I may already have the hardware to test it.

This would be a beautiful thing!
13th September 2010, 06:19 AM |#3  
Boston

More
I just so happened to have the correct hardware on hand to try this so I gave it a go, looks like it does! I'm actually typing this message with a USB keyboard- I can't get it to mount a USB drive yet, but I intend to brush up on my Linux commands and syntax tomorrow and try again- if I can get it to mount external storage, all of my dreams have officially come true (minus the Froyo, that is).

Edit: I'm on the MoDaCo custom ROM r2, 2.1 build 8105, for those interested.

13th September 2010, 08:27 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hey there, real interested in what you did to mod your cable to handle this. Was it a matter of tying the OTG pin to ground?

Did the streak supply power over usb? Many android devices cant, but I believe given the right cable mod the streak can.
13th September 2010, 05:11 PM |#5  
Boston

More
I didn't have to do any mods on mine, I have the home dock (which converts the Streak's port to miniUSB) and a dongle that has male miniUSB on one end and female standard USB on the other. Streak on the dock, dongle in the back of the dock, and keyboard into the dongle.

I don't know if it supplied power or not, what would be the best way to check? Multimeter across the power/gnd should give 5V regardless of if it's powered, do I need to check the amperage as well? I was thinking I might just try firing up the ol' G1 and plugging it in, to see if it charges.

13th September 2010, 06:55 PM |#6  

More
A good test would be to not have the dock plugged in to any power source. Dock your Streak, then use your adaptor with USB keyboard. Does it work? if so, the power is being supplied by the Streak.

If not, it doesn't prove that there is no way to get powered USB host out of the Streak, it would just show that it may require different connections (a modded cable or dock).
13th September 2010, 08:09 PM |#7  
Boston

More
Then yes, it supplies power, my dock was unplugged the whole time. Rejoice! I foresee emulators with a USB gamepad in my near future...

13th September 2010, 10:29 PM |#8  

More
That's great to hear! Game controller for EMU's is what I'm looking to do with it as well

Funny though, I tried the same with a gender changer a week or so ago and it didn't work for me. I think the difference must be that the cable you're plugging in to the dock must ground the OTG pin.

Unfortunately that probably means I'd either have to get a dock, or dissect and solder my USB cable to get the same.
13th September 2010, 10:31 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Lancaster

Donate to Me
More
Glad to see it works as i suspected. now all we need is some to make it mirror the display over the hdmi out

14th September 2010, 09:43 AM |#10  
Flag Westbury
Thanks Meter: 1

Donate to Me
More
Ah, I wondered what that meant. I have the home dock and saw Win7 did something funny... it's all a bit beyond my abilities so I look forward to someone doing interesting things with it
14th September 2010, 10:23 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 138

More
how can we make a usb cable with "usb host" feature ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)