FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Garminfone full hard root Achieved

64 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Tim2246, Member on 13th September 2010, 11:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1: ok step one download universal and root to sd card.
2: then download a file manager such as linda file manager.
3: download chainsdd SuperUser
4: go to settings then applications put a check next to unknown sources.Then go to Development and check usb debugging and stay awake.
5: use linda file manager and browse to sd card and install universal root "DO NOT INSTALL SUPERUSERBUILT INTO IT"
6: Install chainsdd Superuser, After install open it goto settings then scroll too bottom and click su binary it may fail the first time but click it again it will say Su binaries updated.
7: I am using root explorer i bought it from market.
8: after this is installed open it and be sure to click the rw option when you open it at top of directory. Now copy /system/xbin/su to your sd card for safe keeping along with rootshell file from sqlite_stmt_journals folder.
after you back them up too sd then copy Su file too /bin let it over write theres.
Now fire off adb and type adb shell then at the $ type su and walla full root.

Anyone have ideas on how to make it read only so system cant delete those files on reboot or automated way of putting the files in right place at reboot let me know.

17th September 2010, 01:54 AM |#2  
Flag Santa Clara, CA
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Good work on the first steps, next we need to flash a new recovery.img, I've been hearing that there is no easy way into the recovery at startup, what does "adb reboot recovery" result in, long story short if we can get a new recovery then we can flash unsigned roms including your su/root pre installed. Sorry I'm not more help on the legwork portion of this, I really need to get a garmin to work more on this, but p.m. me if I can help more as I don't pay enough attention to these forms
17th September 2010, 08:12 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,215

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukisan

Good work on the first steps, next we need to flash a new recovery.img, I've been hearing that there is no easy way into the recovery at startup, what does "adb reboot recovery" result in, long story short if we can get a new recovery then we can flash unsigned roms including your su/root pre installed. Sorry I'm not more help on the legwork portion of this, I really need to get a garmin to work more on this, but p.m. me if I can help more as I don't pay enough attention to these forms

Have you tried grabbing ROM Manager from the market? It allows you to install Clockwork recovery.
22nd September 2010, 12:27 AM |#4  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 155

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSolstice

Have you tried grabbing ROM Manager from the market? It allows you to install Clockwork recovery.

Do you know if there is a compatible recovery for the garminfone? You can't flash a sholes recovery on a garminfone.
25th September 2010, 01:10 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
ROM Manager is useless for the Garminfone. There are no backups for it and its not a supported phone.

"adb reboot recovery" I'll have to give it a try as well, now that I am also rooted.
28th October 2010, 12:40 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 238

More
I did a similar process... used androot (temporary root) to get rootshell with superuser app from the market.

I downloaded su binaries separately, fired up adb shell,ran rootshell.
I manually copied su to /system/xbin then used gscript lite to script the following:
/system/xbin/su -c 'mount -o remount,rw /'
/system/xbin/su -c 'mount -o remount,rw /system'
/system/xbin/su -c 'cp /system/xbin/su /bin'

After that I added the script to my home screen and I have one click root.

The changes won't persist until the boot image is changed to and repacked.

Note that the rootshell app is useless after a cold boot or if moved. It just crashes.

The most interesting thing is looking through the startup scripts that run.
There are parts from 3 or 4 developers commented out that,!among other things, show what to set to root it permanently,and what looks like loading parts of. the os from the emmc or sdcard.
And the automated test scripts built in come complete with a Garmin test phone number that can be called as well as a full suite of functional and regression test scripts that can be used to validate all functions including the Garmin apps automatically. The daemon even loads itself on boot by default.

It looks like the build they used was a virtually unmodified developer build. Hell,the boot scripts even show what to change to make it run in the emulator. That is my next project (getting it up in emulation so I can test different modifications)... well,that and see what it will take to get the Garmin app running in the latest android. I see no point in upgrading to the latest os if I lose Garmin functionality.

Being that the devs left nice comments for damn near every line and wrote very clean and elegant scripts, i would be shocked if it took very long to get Garmin up, at least in emulation.

Fyi, since piracy is illegal, I want to make it clear that the Garmin portions of my rant refer only to regaining functionality in the latest os.
1st November 2010, 01:54 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 238

More
Ok... to permanently root your phone...

Use the method in the first post. Then, in Root Explorer go to /system/bin and click r/w (if it isn't already). Scroll down to governor.sh, long press and choose open in text editor. Add the following to the end:
mount -o remount,rw /
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /system/xbin/su /bin

Save it. Now at every boot you will have rw filesystems and the su file will copy over. I am working on making a modified recovery.img to flash.

I don't know why people say the Garminfone is more locked down or unflashable than any other phone. It comes with a flash_image program on the phone that lets you specify a destination partition and an image file, it will flash /system/recovery.img on boot and all the boot scripts are commented for how to do things like boot off the emmc. The developers left a bunch of services in the boot scripts but disabled to do various functions.
3rd November 2010, 02:20 PM |#8  

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2246

1: ok step one download universal and root to sd card.
2: then download a file manager such as linda file manager.
3: download chainsdd SuperUser
4: go to settings then applications put a check next to unknown sources.Then go to Development and check usb debugging and stay awake.
5: use linda file manager and browse to sd card and install universal root "DO NOT INSTALL SUPERUSERBUILT INTO IT"
6: Install chainsdd Superuser, After install open it goto settings then scroll too bottom and click su binary it may fail the first time but click it again it will say Su binaries updated.
7: I am using root explorer i bought it from market.
8: after this is installed open it and be sure to click the rw option when you open it at top of directory. Now copy /system/xbin/su to your sd card for safe keeping along with rootshell file from sqlite_stmt_journals folder.
after you back them up too sd then copy Su file too /bin let it over write theres.
Now fire off adb and type adb shell then at the $ type su and walla full root.

Anyone have ideas on how to make it read only so system cant delete those files on reboot or automated way of putting the files in right place at reboot let me know.

So I ran into a little speed bump here, I'll post what I've done thus far and maybe someone has some feedback...

1) Open the applications settings menu for Android OS and Check off the option "Uknown Sources" and then click on "Development" and make sure options "USB debugging" and "Stay Awake" are checked.

2) Download and install the "Universal Androot" apk. application installer using the web browser on your android phone.

3) Launch "Universal Androot" and use the drop down menu on the main screen and select the option that states, "Do not install Superuser" and then click the "Root :)" button, the application will run a few scripts and then confirm success.

4) Go the Android Market, and download and install the following application, "SuperUser" written by android software developer, chainsdd.

5) Once "SuperUser" is installed on your phone, launch the application and click, "Settings" on the top right hand corner of the application, it will bring you to a list of options, scroll to the bottom, and click on, "Su binary v original", this will download a zip file containing any updates. (You may have to click this several times if it fails, it will eventually download)

6) Go to the Android Market, and download, "Root Explorer (File Manager)" and install it, you may also download this package elsewhere...

7) Open "Root Explorer" and make sure you are in the / "root directory" of the unit and then click the "Mount R/W" button at the top.

8) Browse to /system/xbin/ and copy file "su" to /sdcard

This is where I have a problem, I can not locate /system/xbin/su

Here is some additional information that may be relevant

Garmin
Hardware R1.7
Software 4.0.12

Android
Firmware 1.6
Kernel version 2.6.29
12th November 2010, 10:05 PM |#9  

More
hey all!

I've tried following the directions like 10 times and i keep coming up short..i can't seem to get root.. It's odd. Would anyone be kind enough to post a video, or clarify the directions needed in a step-by-step fashion?

Thanks in advance!
13th November 2010, 02:44 AM |#10  

More
Does anyone in the know have a timeframe for when we might know how to get rid of the t-mobile animation that plays when the phone boots up? I'd like to replace all the bootscreens with some wicked cool custom stuff, but gotta knock that pink crap outta the way first.
13th November 2010, 03:33 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by merwin

Ok... to permanently root your phone...

Use the method in the first post. Then, in Root Explorer go to /system/bin and click r/w (if it isn't already). Scroll down to governor.sh, long press and choose open in text editor. Add the following to the end:
mount -o remount,rw /
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /system/xbin/su /bin

Save it. Now at every boot you will have rw filesystems and the su file will copy over. I am working on making a modified recovery.img to flash.

Sorry, but it didn't work for me. Rooting mine by manually pasting SU into the /bin folder works fine.

I copied/pasted your code over to the end of the file as described above.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)