FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Rom Manager - Failed to Seek

95 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By VCURamEngineer, Member on 14th September 2010, 03:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anytime I try to do anything through Rom Manager (flash a ROM, nandroid backup, etc.) upon rebooting into recovery, I get a white triangle with an yellow exclamation point. After pressing the power button, the following text is revealed along with the Clockwork Recovery Menu.

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to seek in /cache/update.zip (Invalid argument)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

If I select advanced->Reboot Recovery after receiving the error, the device reboots. After this second reboot, the process continues as it should have after the first reboot. I've tried downgrading the version of my Clockwork Recovery, but it seems to have no effect.

Any ideas?

14th September 2010, 07:17 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 96

More
I believe the standard array of initial questions would be:

1) Did you flash S-OFF?
2) Is your card FAT32 formatted
3) Try redownloading the file using a different browser (to ensure a cache doesn't deliver the same update.zip without trying)
14th September 2010, 07:23 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmba

I believe the standard array of initial questions would be:

1) Did you flash S-OFF?

Yes.

Quote:

2) Is your card FAT32 formatted

Yes.

Quote:

3) Try redownloading the file using a different browser (to ensure a cache doesn't deliver the same update.zip without trying)

This failure isn't specific to any one file. Besides, I don't think it's a corruption of the file since it works when I select "reboot recovery" from the first failed attempt. In fact, this even happens when choosing "Backup ROM" from ROM Manager.

On a side note, I've tried wiping cache in ROM Manager as well.
15th September 2010, 03:09 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Toggle Signature Verification and/or is d/l corrupt?
In CWM, have you tried toggling the on or off setting for the signature verification, as well as the other toggle?

Also, I read some superb advice here:http://http://forum.xda-developers.c...d.php?t=765930

check out the advice in post # 285 and see if that fixes you up.
15th September 2010, 01:30 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Everyone seems to think my downloads are corrupt. That is definitely not the problem. If they were corrupt, they wouldn't function after the first reboot. They would continue to fail. Let me try explain my problem another way...

Here's my device setup...

Radio - 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel - King's BFS #4
ROM - SR Vanilla RC 2
CWM Version - 2.5.0.5
ROM Manager Version - 2.0.2.6

Here's a process I'm following...

1. Open ROM Manager
2. Clear Download Cache (Just to be sure!)
3. Select Backup Current ROM which causes reboot into recovery.
4. Receive the error which I outlined in my first post. *NOTE* I have not downloaded nor chosen to flash ANY update.zip files. *NOTE*
5. Open the advanced menu in CMW and choose "Reboot recovery" which causes the phone to reboot into recovery.
6. The backup progresses like it should have after the first reboot.

Again, the process above does not involve the use of any downloaded update.zip files. No ROMS, no Kernels, etc.

Does ROM Manager create it's own update.zip file stored in /cache to execute whatever function it needs to after reboot? It appears that might be the case.

I've attempted to reinstall ROM Manager and downgrade to an early version of CWM in ROM Manager. Neither seem to have helped.
15th September 2010, 01:39 PM |#6  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 266

Donate to Me
More
I had the same problem trying to flash the latest leedroid

I entered recovery, de-selected signature verification and then flashed the rom through recovery mode.

Flashed normally and up to now it looks like it worked (waiting for first boot)

Hope this helped
15th September 2010, 01:55 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Both signature verification and script asserts are toggled off. This is why the update.zip will flash after the second reboot into recovery and manually.
16th September 2010, 01:43 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
In recovery, is cache, data, or system mounted? If so, can you unmount any/ all, and reboot?

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App
17th September 2010, 01:21 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I just started having this problem today, at least i noticed it today. It acts as if the signature verification is enabled the first try and disabled the second time. I can't find ANY way to fix this but reboot recovery and it works... If anyone finds a solution, please post.

*edit* I also noticed the "Fix Permissions" utility doesn't work in ROM Manager. Dont know if this is related or not.
17th September 2010, 01:28 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIYIRIO

I just started having this problem today, at least i noticed it today. It acts as if the signature verification is enabled the first try and disabled the second time. I can't find ANY way to fix this but reboot recovery and it works... If anyone finds a solution, please post.

Did you change anything today? I found someone in the SR ROM thread today that started having the same problem.
17th September 2010, 01:32 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
No, only an app and removed it. I dont know how long it has been broke since I haven't used it since SR 3.0rc1.. got tired of the reminder for rc3 and it wouldn't automagically run the install.zip.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)