Come chat with us!

Get Cognition Here

If you like this, buy me a beer!!

Last edited:

cnewsgrp

Mar 22, 2008
Cognition Captivate ROMs - Tips & Tricks

Lets get started !!!!

The items in this post are not my work, I am just collecting them and posting here. They are also dangerous and may brick your phone. Please use at your own risk. No warrenties
Please donate to appropriate talented individuals who do this wonderful work

Installation

Install Using Clockwork Recovery
Caution: If you are running Cognition 6.X or below you must install using ODIN.

• If you are not already rooted, root with the tools here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=739304
  • Go to the xda thread located here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=786532. Download the latest version of the ROM. Move it to your internal SD card on your phone. DO NOT RENAME THE FILE.
  • Download ROM Manager (available in the market, more info here) and choose "Flash Clockwork Mod" which will put an update.zip (holding clockwork recovery) on the root of your internal SD card.
  • Open Rom Manager, choose "Install ROM from SD Card", navigate to your Cognition2.x.zip, and check “Wipe Data”. Watch the magic happen!
  • Note: if this is your first time installing clockwork, it may fail at stock recovery and reboot. Simply choose "reinstall packages" once more, and it should work properly.

Install Using ODIN
Caution: Use this method only for ODIN FLASHABLE DOWNLOAD! Download link will say “Download Cognition v2.2 BETA X.X.X ODIN”. This .zip contains everything you need to flash a ROM using ODIN. It includes:
• Odin.exe
• PIT.pit
• PDA.tar
• PHONE.tar
• CSC.tar
1. Put your phone into Download Mode (See below for Instructions)
2. Set-up ODIN with the appropriate files and click Start. (One-click versions just click Start). Note: Not all files listed above will be included.
3. Watch the magic.

How TO's

HOW TO: Put your phone in Download Mode
  • Make sure you phone is powered off, unplugged and charged. Remove SIM, External SD and Battery
  • Right Click ODIN Exe and click “Run as administrator”
  • Click Vol Up/Vol Down at the same time and insert USB into phone (other end must be plugged into the PC).
  • Note: This is extremely important: your phone screen should display a large yellow triangular icon with a shovel wielding droid in it. The text "Downloading... Do not turn off Target!!!!" appears below the icon. If you do not see this screen, you are likely in Recovery Mode.

HOW TO: Flash To JF6 Stock

Where are archived ROMS?

Lock Screen Mods, Battery Indicators

HOW TO: Reconfigure Battery Stats
When you flash a new ROM it may be necessary to reconfigure your battery stats.
Signs you may need to re configure:
1. . Using more then 10% battery in an hour or less
2. . While plugged into the charger you lock screen shows a different percentage charge then the battery icon
3. . After a full charge your battery icon only shows 99% and quickly drains.
4. . Any general weird battery activity
Step by step battery reconfigure process: (This is the process that has worked for me time and time again with ROM after ROM)
1. . Flash the Rom on a full battery. (skip to step 6)
2. . If you flashed on less then full plug into AC charger asap and charge to full while the phone is powered on
3. . Once the phone blinks full 2.1-battfull popup shows 2.2-battery sign shows on left of notification bar power off
4. . Charge till full while powered off. the phone will vibrate and the green battery will show 100% in white text
5. . Unplug phone and power on.
6. . Using Root Explorer or a comparable program navigate to (Mount R/W first): data>system> and delete file batterystats.bin
7. . Reboot
8. . While the phone reboots it will rebuild that file and the software and phone should now match.
9. . If any of the symptoms persist start at step 2 and repeat.
10. . As with any rechargeable battery fully discharging the battery once in a while isn't a bad idea

HOW TO: BATTERY Calibrate
1. Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until it shows 100%
2. Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.
3. Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the battery indicator shows 100% (you can use vol-up/vol-down to make the indicator come back up when the screen goes to sleep).
4. Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.
5. Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the battery indicator shows 100%.
6. Disconnect the phone, power it on, and use it.
You should only need to use this sequence one time.

HOW TO: Enable/disable Voodoo
  • To Disable: Create a folder in /sdcard/Voodoo named "disable-lagfix" (without the quotes; capitalization is important). To Enable just remove this folder
  • Now reboot the phone.

Tips & Tricks/Missing Apps/Walpapers & Other Stuff

(11/16/2010) Con 2.3bv4: HOW TO: Install Missing Wallpapers & Keyboard
Live Wallpapers & SOme keyboards were removed from this ROM. Here is how to get them. Credit pinoymutt
http://xdaforums.com/show...postcount=9095

(11/17/2010) Android Keyboard
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8431641&postcount=2

(11/18/2010)MMS Fix
Credit: mmoorman12
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8830645&postcount=4081

(11/18/2010)Some Google goodies for Froyo (Desk Clock, Genie Widget, Car Home, Music)
Might or not be compatible with all ROMS - Please try at your own risk
Credit: frauhottelmann http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=817092

(11/18/2010)androidIMATIONS | Custom Boot Animations for Android
Credit: cmbrougham http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=822955

(11/22/2010) 2.3b6 if you cannot get signal after flashing flash jj4 modem
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835272&highlight=modem

Credits:
Cognition Wiki
Many Many posts in XDA Captivate section

Last edited:
Other Stuff from Quoted from Cog Thread

GPS Settings:
To get to LbsTestMode: *#*#3214789650#*#* from your dialer
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp 1. Disable “Use Wireless Networks”
1. Navigate to Settings > Location & Security > uncheck the box next to “Use Wireless Networks”
2. Go to the phone and dial *#3214789650#
1. This step throws you into LBSTestMode menu
3. In the LBSTestMode menu change “Operation Mode” to MS Based
4. In the LBSTestMode menu, find “SUPL/CP Settings” and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl)
5. REBOOT
6. Enable “Use Wireless Networks”
* Navigate to Settings > Location & Security > check the box next to “Use Wireless Networks”

Update: When using MS based, tracking is terrible, the gps often misses the fact that i have turned and thinks i am continuing forward.
Using standalone is a bit better, but still has times where it misses the fact that i have turned

Should you want to revert back to your original GPS settings, you’ll need to re-enter you factory specs:

Original settings:
Operation Mode: Standalone
SERVER: www.spirent-lcs.com
PORT: 7275
MMS Settings:
Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:CINGULAR1
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN Type: leave blank
Email fix if you have that "issue"
APK Download Here
adb pull /system/app/Email.apk
adb pull /system/app/Email.odex
adb push ./Email.apk /sdcard/
adb shell
su (at this point tell superuser to allow permissions if prompted)
rm /system/app/Email.apk
rm /system/app/Email.odex
cp /sdcard/Email.apk /system/app/Email.apk
chown root.root /system/app/Email.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/Email.apk
exit
exit
adb reboot
Cisco VPN Issue Fix:
VPN Links:
http://code.google.com/p/get-a-robot...9.apk&can=2&q=

http://code.google.com/p/get-a-robot...un.ko&can=2&q=

Simply follow these steps. ALL CREDIT GOES TO SUKKUBUS06 from another topic here on XDA. I modified a few steps that I think help the clarity of the instructions.

* Download the correct tun.ko for Android 2.2 here (it says Nexus One but works perfect with my Cognition ROM on Captivate): http://code.google.com/p/get-a-robot...un.ko&can=2&q=

Copy the tun.ko file to the ROOT of your internal SD Card.

Un-install any OpenVPN Settings, OpenVPN Installer, or OpenVPNC applications if they are installed. Perform these steps from scratch...TRUST ME.

You must have the Busy Box installer downloaded and install Busy Box. This app is availabe in the app store. use 1.17.

For the next step you must have the android SDK files on your computer. Open a command prompt, change directories to the C:\android-sdk-windows\tools directory then start the code commands.

Code:

adb shell

su(ALLOW ACCESS ON YOUR PHONE WHEN SUPER USER PROMPTS YOU)
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl6 /system
cp /sdcard/tun.ko /system/xbin/

* create symlinks for busybox route and ifconfig (required by openvpn)
Code:

cd /system/xbin
mkdir bb
cd bb
ln -s ../busybox ./ifconfig
ln -s ../busybox ./route

* create directory for openvpn config files
Code:

mkdir /sdcard/openvpn

* create symlink for cp (unix command for copy). otherwise the install-script of the OpenVPNInstaller (see below) will fail!!!
Code:

ln -s /system/xbin/busybox /system/xbin/cp

* download OpenVPNInstaller from Android Market
run and configure OpenVPNInstaller
specify directories: busybox is in /system/xbin, ifconfig and route are in /system/xbin/bb

* copy vpn-config files (config, certs, key) to /sdcard/openvpn (i.e. via adb push or mounting the phone as a mass-storage unit)

* download OpenVPN Settings from Android Market
run and configure OpenVPN Settings

activate "load tun kernel module"
Tun module settings:
- Load module using insmod (instead of modprobe!!)
- Path to tun module: /system/xbin/tun.ko

Path to configurations:
/sdcard/openvpn

Path to openvpn binary
/system/xbin/openvpn

Now install the latest VPNC found here: http://code.google.com/p/get-a-robot...9.apk&can=2&q=

I rebooted my device at this point. I set up my connection in VPNC and it worked perfectly. Oddly enough when performing a lsmod command in the terminal, I see NO tun.ko module running but hey who cares! It works!

GOOD LUCK!

How to edit notification bar/battery mods/transparent drawer:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=812541

Last edited:

TheTodFather

Aug 9, 2010
Huntsville
Yeah i got HSUPA but i had to do the harder way. That going to be a real treat for everybody.

Now we just need a kernal that can do it all, then there will be roms coming out everyone's ass we wont be able to keep up

buddy17

Aug 9, 2010
wait....i think i meant to say kernal....unless i need to flash the modem AND the kernal?? I downloaded the reoriented kernal from the other thread that includes voodoo, is that all i need to get hsupa if i already have cognition?

justflorin

Apr 7, 2010
im on sre2b6, if i flash to this cognitive will i need to mess with odin for the modem or is included...can i just rom manager over to this, i dont mind if it wipes everything

DOAlaboratories

Jul 31, 2010
Simi Valley
wait....i think i meant to say kernal....unless i need to flash the modem AND the kernal?? I downloaded the reoriented kernal from the other thread that includes voodoo, is that all i need to get hsupa if i already have cognition?

nope, you need the JH2 modem. it's hiding somewhere in the kernel thread. Zilch needs to be here tonight, he's usually on top of this **** :)

TheTodFather

Aug 9, 2010
Huntsville
HSUPA is high speed uplink packet access and that with download makes HSPA or 3.5g.
or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed_Uplink_Packet_Access

NOW Gears we need to optimize MTU settings!!!!

Maxium Transmition Units--------currently we are pegged at 1400 and with header it even lower i think 1352 to be exact.

1500 The biggest sized IP packet that can normally traverse the internet without getting fragmented. Typical MTU for non PPPoE, non VPN connections.
1492 The maximum MTU recommended for internet PPPoE implementations
1472 The maximum ping data payload before fragmentation errors are received on non-PPPoE non VPN connections
1460 TCP Data size (MSS) when MTU is 1500 and not using PPPoE
1464 The maximum ping data payload before fragmentation errors are received when using a PPPoE connected machine
1452 TCP Data size (MSS) when MTU is 1492 and using PPPoE
576 Typically recommended as the MTU for dialup type applications .. leaving 536 bytes of TCP data.
48 The sum of IP, TCP, and PPPoE headers
40 The sum of IP, and TCP headers
28 The sum of IP, ICMP headers

Clicking this link will show you your MTU and other important settings http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer...._TOS=0&IP=24.236.120.106&timestamp=1284959054

SO we can either have a max of 1500 or 1400 but when downloading a package that is a 10mbs it adds up real quick!

AT&T pegged us at 1400 for a reason we don't know if it will work unless we test for packet loss. If anyone can point me in the right settings I would love to play with it.

Last edited:

Demented71

Sep 5, 2010
Philadelphia
OK, I am trying to disable the lagfix using the disable-lagfix file in the voodoo directory, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything(usually you hear the robot voice saying it is reverting back to RFS). I'm going to try removing the file, and see what happens.

EDIT: Hmm, removing it I hear the voice telling me it is applying the voodoo ext4 lagfix. Maybe I just missed it when I added the file before. There were a couple of drunk idiots I had to help at my job...;)

Last edited:

wuxingwarrior3

Aug 12, 2010
OK, I am trying to disable the lagfix using the disable-lagfix file in the voodoo directory, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything(usually you hear the robot voice saying it is reverting back to RFS). I'm going to try removing the file, and see what happens.

EDIT: Hmm, removing it I hear the voice telling me it is applying the voodoo ext4 lagfix. Maybe I just missed it when I added the file before. There were a couple of drunk idiots I had to help at my job...;)

Hey demented, deleting the files wont revert you back to rfs. Create a folder called "disable lagfix" with no quotes or hyphens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA

Demented71

Sep 5, 2010
Philadelphia
Hey demented, deleting the files wont revert you back to rfs. Create a folder called "disable lagfix" with no quotes or hyphens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA

I know. I created the file via ES File Explorer, but I think I was outside my booth when it removed the lagfix, so I thought that it didn't do it.

EDIT: Just created it again, and it's reverting back to RFS.

Last edited:

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
HSUPA is high speed uplink packet access and that with download makes HSPA or 3.5g.
or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed_Uplink_Packet_Access

NOW Gears we need to optimize MTU settings!!!!

Maxium Transmition Units--------currently we are pegged at 1400 and with header it even lower i think 1352 to be exact.

1500 The biggest sized IP packet that can normally traverse the internet without getting fragmented. Typical MTU for non PPPoE, non VPN connections.
1492 The maximum MTU recommended for internet PPPoE implementations
1472 The maximum ping data payload before fragmentation errors are received on non-PPPoE non VPN connections
1460 TCP Data size (MSS) when MTU is 1500 and not using PPPoE
1464 The maximum ping data payload before fragmentation errors are received when using a PPPoE connected machine
1452 TCP Data size (MSS) when MTU is 1492 and using PPPoE
576 Typically recommended as the MTU for dialup type applications .. leaving 536 bytes of TCP data.
48 The sum of IP, TCP, and PPPoE headers
40 The sum of IP, and TCP headers
28 The sum of IP, ICMP headers

Clicking this link will show you your MTU and other important settings http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer...._TOS=0&IP=24.236.120.106&timestamp=1284959054

SO we can either have a max of 1500 or 1400 but when downloading a package that is a 10mbs it adds up real quick!

where is the MTU settings at in android :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1sdvdx.png

Cognition Rom FAQ's
    Check it out here!

Come chat with us!

Get Cognition Here

If you like this, buy me a beer!!

Cognition Captivate ROMs - Tips & Tricks

Lets get started !!!!

The items in this post are not my work, I am just collecting them and posting here. They are also dangerous and may brick your phone. Please use at your own risk. No warrenties
    Please donate to appropriate talented individuals who do this wonderful work

Installation

Install Using Clockwork Recovery
    Caution: If you are running Cognition 6.X or below you must install using ODIN.

• If you are not already rooted, root with the tools here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=739304
    • Go to the xda thread located here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=786532. Download the latest version of the ROM. Move it to your internal SD card on your phone. DO NOT RENAME THE FILE.
    • Download ROM Manager (available in the market, more info here) and choose "Flash Clockwork Mod" which will put an update.zip (holding clockwork recovery) on the root of your internal SD card.
    • Open Rom Manager, choose "Install ROM from SD Card", navigate to your Cognition2.x.zip, and check “Wipe Data”. Watch the magic happen!
    • Note: if this is your first time installing clockwork, it may fail at stock recovery and reboot. Simply choose "reinstall packages" once more, and it should work properly.

Install Using ODIN
    Caution: Use this method only for ODIN FLASHABLE DOWNLOAD! Download link will say “Download Cognition v2.2 BETA X.X.X ODIN”. This .zip contains everything you need to flash a ROM using ODIN. It includes:
    • Odin.exe
    • PIT.pit
    • PDA.tar
    • PHONE.tar
    • CSC.tar
    1. Put your phone into Download Mode (See below for Instructions)
    2. Set-up ODIN with the appropriate files and click Start. (One-click versions just click Start). Note: Not all files listed above will be included.
    3. Watch the magic.

How TO's

HOW TO: Put your phone in Download Mode
    • Make sure you phone is powered off, unplugged and charged. Remove SIM, External SD and Battery
    • Right Click ODIN Exe and click “Run as administrator”
    • Click Vol Up/Vol Down at the same time and insert USB into phone (other end must be plugged into the PC).
    • Note: This is extremely important: your phone screen should display a large yellow triangular icon with a shovel wielding droid in it. The text "Downloading... Do not turn off Target!!!!" appears below the icon. If you do not see this screen, you are likely in Recovery Mode.

HOW TO: Flash To JF6 Stock

Where are archived ROMS?

Lock Screen Mods, Battery Indicators

HOW TO: Reconfigure Battery Stats
    When you flash a new ROM it may be necessary to reconfigure your battery stats.
    Signs you may need to re configure:
    1. . Using more then 10% battery in an hour or less
    2. . While plugged into the charger you lock screen shows a different percentage charge then the battery icon
    3. . After a full charge your battery icon only shows 99% and quickly drains.
    4. . Any general weird battery activity
    Step by step battery reconfigure process: (This is the process that has worked for me time and time again with ROM after ROM)
    1. . Flash the Rom on a full battery. (skip to step 6)
    2. . If you flashed on less then full plug into AC charger asap and charge to full while the phone is powered on
    3. . Once the phone blinks full 2.1-battfull popup shows 2.2-battery sign shows on left of notification bar power off
    4. . Charge till full while powered off. the phone will vibrate and the green battery will show 100% in white text
    5. . Unplug phone and power on.
    6. . Using Root Explorer or a comparable program navigate to (Mount R/W first): data>system> and delete file batterystats.bin
    7. . Reboot
    8. . While the phone reboots it will rebuild that file and the software and phone should now match.
    9. . If any of the symptoms persist start at step 2 and repeat.
    10. . As with any rechargeable battery fully discharging the battery once in a while isn't a bad idea

HOW TO: BATTERY Calibrate
    1. Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until it shows 100%
    2. Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.
    3. Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the battery indicator shows 100% (you can use vol-up/vol-down to make the indicator come back up when the screen goes to sleep).
    4. Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.
    5. Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the battery indicator shows 100%.
    6. Disconnect the phone, power it on, and use it.
    You should only need to use this sequence one time.

HOW TO: Enable/disable Voodoo
    • To Disable: Create a folder in /sdcard/Voodoo named "disable-lagfix" (without the quotes; capitalization is important). To Enable just remove this folder
    • Now reboot the phone.

Tips & Tricks/Missing Apps/Walpapers & Other Stuff

(11/16/2010) Con 2.3bv4: HOW TO: Install Missing Wallpapers & Keyboard
    Live Wallpapers & SOme keyboards were removed from this ROM. Here is how to get them. Credit pinoymutt
    http://xdaforums.com/show...postcount=9095

(11/17/2010) Android Keyboard
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8431641&postcount=2

(11/18/2010)MMS Fix
    Credit: mmoorman12
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8830645&postcount=4081

(11/18/2010)Some Google goodies for Froyo (Desk Clock, Genie Widget, Car Home, Music)
    Credit: frauhottelmann http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=817092

(11/18/2010)androidIMATIONS | Custom Boot Animations for Android
    Credit: cmbrougham http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=822955

(11/22/2010) 2.3b6 if you cannot get signal after flashing flash jj4 modem
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835272&highlight=modem

Credits:
    Cognition Wiki
    Many Many posts in XDA Captivate section
    Completely revised, rebased Cognition is in the works ;)
    There is no JJ4 modem in the Supercurio update package.
    You're right! Thanks.

OK, to make it easy for people, I've combined the kernel and modem into one package:
    stock Captivate Froyo kernel + Voodoo5 + Captivate JJ4 modem

It's unsigned, so flash in CWM (red or green recovery) only, not stock (blue).

This should take out all the overclocked and i9000 parts of a currently-installed Cog 2.3b7. So no sleep death, bluetooth static, etc.

If you haven't installed 2.3b7 yet, look at full ROM + Cap kernel + Cap modem repackage above to do it all in one go.