Possible to disable usb charging?

207 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By Lint6, Senior Member on 20th September 2010, 04:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th September 2011, 05:51 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
You might give this a try usb-charging-commander - I can not post outside links so you have to search on your own. It's on modaco forum.
Your device got to be rooted

Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to psajko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift psajko Ad-Free
15th September 2011, 12:02 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psajko

You might give this a try usb-charging-commander - I can not post outside links so you have to search on your own. It's on modaco forum.
Your device got to be rooted

Regards

Thanks for the tip. Sadly, it doesn't just disable charging, it cuts off USB power completely (the phone runs on battery). Better than nothing I guess.
17th September 2011, 04:39 PM |#13  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 61

More
The USBChargingCommander application was promising, too bad on my Galaxy S2 it does nothing even after a reboot
17th September 2011, 11:39 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephestione

too bad on my Galaxy S2 it does nothing

This should come as a surprise to no one who's looked at the code> https___github.com_t0mm13b/UsbChargeCommander/UsbChargeCommander.java (replace underscores with colon-slash-slash and slash). It simply performs
Code:
write /sys/module/msm_battery/parameters/usb_chg_enable 0/1
as root. msm_battery is a chipset-specific driver, and since GS2 uses a different chipset, this app cannot work on it. If however, you or someone savvy with a GS2 can search the sysfs interface and find a parameter which controls USB charging, getting the app to work on GS2 should be a breeze for tommie (or anyone with ADK, since tommie made the code available ).

Of course, there's no guarantee such a parameter exists, in which case there's not much you can do.
26th November 2011, 11:22 AM |#15  

More
USBChargingCommander don't work on my Desire HD

The path is: /sys/module/htc_battery/parameters/

But in this folder there is only: debug_mask

How can i make it work?

Edit
Found another path: /sys/power/
There are the files state (value "mem") and state_onchg (value "chgon")
Maybe this can help..
26th November 2011, 07:08 PM |#16  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Isn't USB charging an option under ##data# ?
27th November 2011, 11:10 AM |#17  

More
Nothing found...

just /data/d/htc_battery/charget_state
13th January 2012, 04:07 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Question
Hi there,

I want to push this thread back up.
perhaps someone has now found a solution to the problem.

i like the cable only for transfer and tethering, but not to charge from my laptop.
the battery is draining too fast then.

and i didn´t found an only transfer usb cable,without charging.

thx alot
6th February 2012, 07:48 PM |#19  
Flag Modena
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hi all,
I'm interested too. Any clue on how to do this on HTC wildfire? I've already checked all the folders you guys suggested without success.

Also checked the arco68's kernel source code and found some entry points . I asked to arco and he confirmed that would be possible to implement the feature recompiling the kernel...I've never did it. any kernel dev out there interested?

cheers
ste
1st March 2012, 06:36 AM |#20  
Flag In front of PC
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Use recovery
Connect USB In a recovery like CWM. There is option to do that in mounts and Storage-Mount USB storage.

HOPE I HELPED!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to android1999 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift android1999 Ad-Free
3rd October 2012, 09:31 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Yet another bump..
I wonder if a dev would pick this up to develop for the EVO LTE. I have found that if I get my phone unplugged right after a charge to full, the battery lasts longer. If it continues to be connected, the charging cycles periodically by design so it won't overcharge. However, this somehow causes the battery to discharge the first 10-15% more quickly. If we had a utility that you could set to turn off charging when it hits 100%, it would help out.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)