FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[AlphaRev] = FULL ROOT, AlphaRev soon to WILDFIRE (Proved working!)

1,003 posts
Thanks Meter: 325

By danne_jo, Senior Member on 29th September 2010, 03:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
HTC implemented security on their newer generation phones. This flag, called @secuflag, controls whether your phone has
it's NAND or flash unlocked. Most noticeably, S-ON (security on) will read-lock your /system and /recovery partition, to name a few. Also, secuflag controls whether zip files being flashed through recovery or fastboot, are signed by HTC.

The now notorious S-OFF (security off) will disable this NAND security.
Since we are unable to access the Radio NVRAM itself (where secuflag is stored), we turned our attention to HBOOT.

AlphaRev has patched HBOOT images for several phones, whereas the HTC Desire (GSM) was our first victim.

Soon to be supported devices:
HTC Legend GSM
HTC Aria GSM (Liberty)

HTC Wildfire GSM (Buzz)

The following patches were made:
First and foremost, the security flag is ignored. HBOOT now always thinks the phone is S-OFF.
Second, Fastboot extended commands are enabled. This is similar to engineering HBOOTS, these allow you to use commands like 'fastboot flash system system.img' (flashing a system image), or 'fastboot boot boot.img' (downloading and directly booting a kernel image and ramdisk).
Is there any risk involved?

Yes, there is. Flashing HBOOT will flash a critical part of your phone, if that gets corrupted, your phone WILL be bricked.
We do not accept any responsibility for bricked phones, even though we've attempted to make the actual flashing method as safe as possible.
If your phone no longer turns on anymore, please return to HTC for warranty purposes.
Should you still run this hack/program, you then hereby accept full responsibility.

So how does this work?

The image provided is an ISO image. You can either burn that on CD, and boot it. Instructions will be provided when you run the CD.
The actual tool is packaged in a Linux livecd, to ensure maximum compatibility.
On a sidenote: yes, you should be able to run this in VMWare or Virtualbox, as long as you enable the USB device to be routed to the livecd running.

Will my phone stay S-OFF forever?

Yes and no. As soon as you decide to flash a stock RUU that has a HBOOT update in it, this hacked HBOOT will be overwritten.
You do have the option to remove the HBOOT update from the rom.zip inside the RUU. Since your phone no longer checks signatures, you could easily do that.
Also, you then still have the option to flash custom recovery, or different kernels using the fastboot functions described above (fastboot flash, et al).

http://alpharev.shadowchild.nl/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=794314&page=5 (Desire thread)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danne_jo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift danne_jo Ad-Free

29th September 2010, 04:04 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
NIIIICE *cheer*

I cant wait for this to arrive.
29th September 2010, 12:21 PM |#4  
Flag Baunatal
Thanks Meter: 392

Donate to Me
More
That means we can flash new roms (or single images) via `adb fastboot [...]`?
Great news tho.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA App
29th September 2010, 02:46 PM |#5  
Flag Haapsalu
Thanks Meter: 5

More
nice, keepup good work.
p.s. i hate word "soon", hope its soon not later
The Following User Says Thank You to rolks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rolks Ad-Free
30th September 2010, 10:15 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Just tryd this on my HTC Desire.. (so dont try it on wildfire yet)

Im soooooooo happy right now
30th September 2010, 11:30 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Agghh, I loaded up the RUU with the .25 image, and now im locked in s-on. Can't wait for this to come out =) no more HTC stock images for me =)
30th September 2010, 10:32 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Wow

Thanx to IEF @ alpharev my wildfire is now s-off!!!!!! damn so nice... thanx man!
30th September 2010, 10:34 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Is it out for the wildfire then?

Nice one.
30th September 2010, 10:46 PM |#10  
Flag Haapsalu
Thanks Meter: 5

More
what version of hboot is suported? lots of peopel flashed froyo ruu as i see in treads
30th September 2010, 11:19 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
updated first post
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)