FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to install ADB instructions for UBUNTU

4,559 posts
Thanks Meter: 830

By laie1472, Senior Member on 29th September 2010, 09:03 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
The Absent-Minded Professor and I just installed adb on Ubuntu; here is how to set up adb on Ubuntu Linux, Gutsy through Maverick.

Our port of the BX theme to CM6 stable is forthcoming.

first command after installing and updating sdk and extracting the tgz file to your home directory is== sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-android.rules

NOTE: In the above file replace ## with the number 50 if you are running Gusty/Hardy/Dapper (50-android.rules) or with the number 70 if you are running Karmic Koala/Lucid Lynx(70-android.rules

after the window pops write this in the file==SUBSYSTEM==”usb”, SYSFS{idVendor}==”0bb4″, MODE=”0666″ then save and close

the follwing commands is== sudo chmod a+rx /etc/udev/rules.d/70-android.rules

Then reboot.

Open a terminal and type== sudo gedit .bashrc

The file contents should be as follows== export PATH=${PATH}:~/home/user/android-sdk-linux_86/tools
Save and close.

Run the command== adb devices
If you see a serial number like this:

List of devices attached
HT99PHF02521 device

then you are done.

If you get error messages such as "no such command," cd to /home/user/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools and use the adb commands in this way:
./adb devices
./adb shell
etc.

If you get an error message here referencing insufficient device permissions, do the following:
./adb kill-server
sudo ./adb start-server

Now ./adb devices should work.

Courtesy of laie1472 and The Absent Minded Professor

Thanks to Esau Silva (http://esausilva.com/2010/05/13/sett...-linux-ubuntu/) and Tobias Eisentrager (http://www.mail-archive.com/android-.../msg14211.html).
The Following User Says Thank You to laie1472 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift laie1472 Ad-Free

29th September 2010, 02:45 PM |#2  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 185

More
Hello,

Just got my Ubuntu laptop going and I am learning the ropes in hopes of cooking up some roms. My question is are there any advantages to using adb in Ubuntu over Windows? I am not clear if this is just a way to get adb running if you only have Ubuntu or if it has some functional bennifits over doing it in Windows. I have my kitchen set up and running but I just stare at it thinking it is going to do something on it's own...
29th September 2010, 07:55 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Nice to see my instructions here.

I'll be posting instructions on how to use adb in a Mac, either this week of the next one
30th September 2010, 01:07 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Lol yea I think its a advantage since android is based of a some kind of Linux platform I think give me a couple of days to do some more research and post a more detailed answer for u I have adb on windows vista ultimate and 7 ultimate and by far it just seems easiest on Ubuntu but it could b just me I'm settings up my work space with c++ and Solaris to start a little Dev myself so ill definitely keep posting and let u know if I notice any major difference till then a cook away

Root-Hack-Mod-Always™
30th September 2010, 01:09 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGeZau

Nice to see my instructions here.

I'll be posting instructions on how to use adb in a Mac, either this week of the next one

I don't know what instructions ur referring to and Im pretty sure theese are not ur instructions that's y we posted them if you wanted ur instructions on here then u should have posted ur instructions I gave credit to the people who deserved it if you feel theese are yours send me a link to were you posted theese exact instructions and ill give credit and the professor and I are starting a little project with Mac so I look forward to ur adb on Mac post or if we get it before u post we'll post it I just wanna make sure its on here in case anyone ever needs it thanks again

Root-Hack-Mod-Always™
30th September 2010, 01:34 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laie1472

I don't know what instructions ur referring to and Im pretty sure theese are not ur instructions lol but a if you put some knowledge on one of the links I used then I thank u I appreciate it and the professor and I are starting a little project with Mac so I look forward to ur adb on Mac post or if we get it before u post we'll post it I just wanna make sure its on here in case anyone ever needs it thanks again

Root-Hack-Mod-Always™

You're right, I shouldn't have said "mine" since I got them from many sites. I just put them together, by the time I was done with my research I didn't remember from which sites I got them, but anyways, setting up Adb in Macs is a lot easier than Windows and Ubuntu
30th September 2010, 01:34 AM |#7  
Flag Midwest

More
Quote:

Lol yea I think its a advantage since android is based of a some kind of Linux platform I think give me a couple of days to do some more research and post a more detailed answer for u
Root-Hack-Mod-Always™

Sounds good to me, BTW I guess it did come off as kind of a funny question. I do know that Android is Linux, hence the Ubuntu laptop for cooking. I mostly have been using adb for simple entries or to push something but frankly it is easier to open Terminal Emulator on my phone for those. I have never had any issues using it in Windows, I just am curious if there is a true advantage to doing it in Ubuntu since it is kind of the same scenerio... You are still using a program within an operating system to do anything. Ubuntu is Linux but it is the "Windows" version of Linux. Try using Slax to do anything and you will know what I mean. I too am new to cooking as well as Android but not to modding electronics, it kind of my hobbie as well as my job. I have been tweaking things for almost 20 years now, Android is just my new flavor. I would love to share info back and forth with you since it seems we are both messing with the same stuff at the same time. I spun up my first rom a couple of days ago and for some reason it get stuck in a boot loop...I am bummed. I got it signed and it flashed my first try so it is just something stupid I am missing. I am learning the ropes in Ubuntu and amazed at how good it runs on my old laptop. Man they got some crazy comands, it blows me away at some of the $hit you have to type. Anyway I highjacked your post enough, if you would like to share info down the road just pm me.
30th September 2010, 01:52 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Yes yes and yes I love knowledge dude lol the more the better and I'm not done setting up my work space yet so I'm not cooking just yet were tweaking a server now to host u know putting it all together but by the end of next week u might smell something in the kitchen and man ur right Ubuntu makes my HP faster than windows 7 every did and the cube is awesome the commands take a little time to get used to imo- but a I started windows back in the early 90s so its time for a change and android is byfar the best mobile platform imo- the possibilities are just endless the first thing im going to do wen were all setup is port over this theme called bx for cm6 stable then imma start the cooking ill most def b on this thread every day checking on what's going on and ill definitely pm you thanks and if you guys need anything if can help let me know

Root-Hack-Mod-Always™
30th September 2010, 05:12 AM |#9  
Flag Midwest

More
Right on, it is kind of exciting. I really don't have a clue except for what others have done and compiled. The good part is all of the information does seem to be here, there are a lot of good devs still working on the Hero out of pride for it. I just was over on the rom side and nfinite and decad3nce ported a 2.2 sense rom from the wildfire. It is a different screen size than our Hero's but I can't think of anything better than messing with a 2.2 sense rom. I realize I won't get anywhere but it should be challenging and I might learn a thing or two. Those guys rock, they will get something out in a week or so. That means that everyone on this forum with be doing the same thing for once, it should prove to be an interesting weekend. It sounds like you will be hitting it pretty hard once you get dialed in, I will deffinately keep an eye on this thread. One thing that would be a cool idea if you had to time would be to use the thread as an on-going cooking forum. People could post random things they have figured out and all could add. It would grow fast and keep everybody busy. Goto roll, I want to flash that 2.2 sense yet tonight and I am getting old...
30th September 2010, 05:16 AM |#10  
Flag Midwest

More
Quote:

the possibilities are just endless the first thing im going to do wen were all setup is port over this theme called bx for cm6 stable then imma start the cooking ill most def b on this thread every day checking on what's going on and ill definitely pm you thanks and if you guys need anything if can help let me know

Root-Hack-Mod-Always™

Totally spaced off and forgot to say BX looks cool. I remember seeing something on this some time ago and thought the orange was cool and different.
30th September 2010, 05:49 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschill31

Right on, it is kind of exciting. I really don't have a clue except for what others have done and compiled. The good part is all of the information does seem to be here, there are a lot of good devs still working on the Hero out of pride for it. I just was over on the rom side and nfinite and decad3nce ported a 2.2 sense rom from the wildfire. It is a different screen size than our Hero's but I can't think of anything better than messing with a 2.2 sense rom. I realize I won't get anywhere but it should be challenging and I might learn a thing or two. Those guys rock, they will get something out in a week or so. That means that everyone on this forum with be doing the same thing for once, it should prove to be an interesting weekend. It sounds like you will be hitting it pretty hard once you get dialed in, I will deffinately keep an eye on this thread. One thing that would be a cool idea if you had to time would be to use the thread as an on-going cooking forum. People could post random things they have figured out and all could add. It would grow fast and keep everybody busy. Goto roll, I want to flash that 2.2 sense yet tonight and I am getting old...

Lol that's an excellent idea I don't use sense but Im definitely gonna c what I can do to help to get it up and running for those who do I don't mind a good challenge and yes this thread will and can b used for posting all about cooking roms and what everyone has figured out to do lol and what not to do I think if enough people post trial and error it would make cooking a little easier so all are welcome sense or aosp it's all just amazing to me so much you can do still trips me out wen I think about it and yes the professor and I will b at it pretty good once were setup so lll b on here daily thanks for the idea its a good one

Root-Hack-Mod-Always%
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)