FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW TO] HTC Desire Custom Splash screen

240 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

By MRE-net, Senior Member on 29th September 2010, 08:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi All,

After applying the S-OFF method (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=794314) I noticed that the Splash screen changed from the white screen with HTC on it to an image with The Joker (from Batman) on it. Although I do like Batman movies, I wanted to change the splash screen.

For those who don't know, the splash screen has nothing to do with the bootanimation, which comes after the splash screen.

I searched the forum and found a thread to change the boot screen on the Droid Incredible. I followed part of the steps and tried it on my HTC Desire. The results are fine. I decided to make a little guide to change your splash screen.

In order to make a custom splash screen, you need the following:

1. Image editing program such ash Photoshop, Gimp etc
2. NBIMG command-line splash<-->image converter tool [Windows Download] or [Linux Download] (Original Dev Thread)
3. Android SDK http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

How to:
  1. Download and extract the files linked above and place them somewhere familiar to you.
  2. In your image creation/manipulation program, create a new image. Set the image size to 480x800. (If you already have an image in mind, open that and resize it)
  3. Create/modify/customize the image however you like.
  4. Save the image as splash1.bmp file. Ensure that you are saving the file as a 24bit RGB color bitmap. To make things easy, save the image in the same folder where you extracted the nbimg tool.
  5. Open a command or terminal window and CD to your nbimg folder.
  6. Type in the following command: nbimg -F splash1.bmp -w 480 -h 800
  7. If successful, nbimg should have created an nb file called 'splash1.bmp.nb'.
  8. Rename 'splash1.bmp.nb' to 'splash1.img'.
  9. Boot your Desire into Bootloader and connect it to your computer
  10. Open een command or terminal window and browse to the Tools folder which should reside in your Android SDK folder when you unzipped it.
  11. Type in the following command: fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img
  12. The output should be something like this:
Code:
D:\Android\AndroidSDK\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img
    sending 'splash1' (750 KB)... OKAY [  0.125s]
             writing 'splash1'... OKAY [  0.218s]
finished. total time: 0.343s
13. Reboot your Desire and enjoy your new splash screen.

Thanks to:
* ieftm for S-OFF
* All the others who made S-OFF possible
* deficitism for the custom splash screen guide

REMEMBER: When you do follow this guide, you do it at your own risk. I do not, I repeat, DO NOT, take any responsibility when things go wrong. Feel free to submit any improvements whatsoever.

Quote:

finally, the short version for (ubuntu) linux users:

1. read through the thread for minimum-requirements, such as s-off etc. i don't know if the phone needs to be rooted and am to lazy to find it out (since mine already was anyway).
  2. download and install nbimg from http://pof.eslack.org/2008/07/03/nbimg-htc-splash-screen-tool/
  3. create your .img-file as described in the first posting in steps
  4. download fastboot.zip from the attachment of the following posting: http://www.pocketpc.ch/htc-desire-hd-root-rom/116448-anleitung-desire-hd-s-off-bootloader-flashen.html#post871105
  5. you also might want to decide in which folder you want to keep it on your computer as a "program". if you are unsure, your /home/%USER/ folder will do just fine. – ... btw. unless you are familiar with creating symbolic links on command line i advise you to abandon any second thoughts about this issue after this step.
  6. now open a terminal and type the following to "install" fastboot and make it easier to use later on command line (in fact just unzipping the fastboot archive and creating a symbolic link in /usr/bin/:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install unzip
    cd /path/to/where/you/are/storing/the/fastboot-zip-file/
    unzip fastboot.zip -d fastboot
    sudo ln -s fastboot/fastboot-linux /usr/bin/fastboot
  7. do NOT move the folder "fastboot" or the file "fastboot-linux" afterwards, or you will break the symbolic link in /usr/bin/
  8. keep the terminal open.
  9. now change to the directory where you saved your splash-image files (those with the .img extension you created earlier with the nbimg-tool):
    Code:
    cd /path/where/your/splash/files/are/stored/
  10. still keep the terminal open.
  11. now boot your phone into bootloader mode (htc desire: press "power" and "volume down")
  12. connect your phone to the computer and enable "FASTBOOT" mode in the bootloader (in my case, with clockworkmod, the line "FASTBOOT USB" in red uppercase letters appears on the screen, among other information shown)
  13. now change back to your terminal/command line tool and flash the splash image on the phone:
    Code:
    sudo fastboot flash splash1 name-of-your-splash-image-file.img
  14. voilà!
in my case, i got a "waiting for device"-message, and sometimes those error some got (something with splash -1 ...). firstly i thought that was due to me using a 64-bit computer, a faulty fastboot executable and so on. finally i found out, that i simply needed super user rights to successfully flash the image

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to MRE-net For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MRE-net Ad-Free

29th September 2010, 10:29 PM |#2  
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I hope the phone number on the splash screen doesn't belong to the SIM-Card in your Desire

Good work btw!
29th September 2010, 10:43 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminga

I hope the phone number on the splash screen doesn't belong to the SIM-Card in your Desire

Good work btw!

lol +1..make sense.
Nice guide. Thanks.
29th September 2010, 10:48 PM |#4  
Flag Leicester
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Great guide! I like the idea of your contact details on the boot screen
29th September 2010, 11:05 PM |#5  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 452

More
Dude.. if you would like to make things a tad bit easier for people. Link them to my 1-click splash converter and flasher. Nice guide. Bit hard on the noobs lol. Anyway.. I'll leave a link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=794638

Dan
29th September 2010, 11:14 PM |#6  
Flag Buckinghamshire
Thanks Meter: 134

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by danward

Dude.. if you would like to make things a tad bit easier for people. Link them to my 1-click splash converter and flasher. Nice guide. Bit hard on the noobs lol. Anyway.. I'll leave a link.

Dan

This didn't work for me, the program kept throwing a .NET error which is weird as Windows7 comes with .NET 3.5 with all service packs etc.

Even installed .NET 4.0
29th September 2010, 11:22 PM |#7  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 452

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekrel

This didn't work for me, the program kept throwing a .NET error which is weird as Windows7 comes with .NET 3.5 with all service packs etc.

Even installed .NET 4.0

Strange.. can you post the error? or was it to do with nbimg?
29th September 2010, 11:29 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:

Dan

Great work man... Didn't see your thread. Actually this thread can be closed then.

And no the phone number on the screen doesn't belong to the sim inside the phone
29th September 2010, 11:38 PM |#9  
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 635

More
Manual way is always better. At least you learn how to use the commands. I was going to post this :P

Oh and if your image is already the right size you only need "nbimg -F splash1.bmp".

Oh and no need to type >fastboot. Just fastboot works.
30th September 2010, 12:04 AM |#10  
Flag Buckinghamshire
Thanks Meter: 134

More
Quote:

Strange.. can you post the error? or was it to do with nbimg?

Sure thing mate, happens when I select the splash1.bmp

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file '.\splash1.bmp' because it is being used by another process.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.FileCopy(String Source, String Destination)
at SPLASH_Flasher.Form1.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SPLASH Flasher
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Mekerz/Downloads/SPLASH%20Flasher_1.2.2/SPLASH%20Flasher/SPLASH%20Flasher.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 10.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

30th September 2010, 12:24 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
THX ... worked like a charm !

The 1Click Solution didnt work for me.... no error was displayed, but the splash didnt change....

Greetings
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)