FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Galaxy Tab review in the making. Need suggestions!

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Halulz, Junior Member on 5th October 2010, 07:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello XDA!

I managed to get my hands on a Galaxy Tab to review. I'm an avid android user and I know what I would want from a device like this. Thing is, I want to know what YOU, dear XDA members, would like to know about the device!

Kindly leave me questions that you wish to be answered in the video review of the Galaxy Tab.

The sooner I get the questions the sooner I'll be able to post up a video.

Note: Kindly note that I cannot root the device nor change the flash version of android that runs on the device.

Firmware version: P1000XXJH1

Specs of the device as per Quadrant Advanced:
Quadrant score: 1,000
CPU: 1437
MEM: 1684
I/O: 791
2D: 201
3D: 886

Linpack score: 13.877

Total memory available: 435MB of which 174 is used on fresh boot.

System information(via Quadrant Advanced).
htt p://img215.imageshack.us/i/20101005100755.jpg/
htt p://img59.imageshack.us/i/20101005100927.jpg
htt p://img697.imageshack.us/i/20101005100848.jpg
htt p://img411.imageshack.us/i/20101005100911.jpg
htt p://img34.imageshack.us/i/20101005100927.jpg

(Apologies for the low quality photos)
5th October 2010, 09:43 AM |#2  
Flag Kaunas
Thanks Meter: 237

Donate to Me
More
It would be nice if you describe display quality - viewing angles, panel type (is it IPS) how it performs in sunlight. Is minimum brightness good for reading in dark conditions? Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
5th October 2010, 11:19 AM |#3  
Account currently disabled
Flag Northampton UK via Los Angeles and Dallas
Thanks Meter: 37

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalij

It would be nice if you describe display quality - viewing angles, panel type (is it IPS) how it performs in sunlight. Is minimum brightness good for reading in dark conditions? Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Viewing angles are a subjective issue, personally when i pick up my mobile device and look into it, it's always straight in front of me, so that's all i want, but if you have a viewing angle of over 45 degrees like the Tab, all you get is people on the bus, train or plane looking sideways to see what you're looking at
I'm based in England at the moment, they don't have that much sunlight and even less direct sunlight
First impressions, it feels to plasticky, not like it's price suggests that it should, not as bad as an X10, but almost.
5th October 2010, 03:55 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkbox111

Viewing angles are a subjective issue, personally when i pick up my mobile device and look into it, it's always straight in front of me, so that's all i want, but if you have a viewing angle of over 45 degrees like the Tab, all you get is people on the bus, train or plane looking sideways to see what you're looking at
I'm based in England at the moment, they don't have that much sunlight and even less direct sunlight
First impressions, it feels to plasticky, not like it's price suggests that it should, not as bad as an X10, but almost.

How is the call quality/ease of use.. Does the tab "feel" swift?
5th October 2010, 05:11 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Hello guys,

Thanks for the initial question. I will cover this question in the video review.

I need more points of focus for the review.

MOARRRR

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App
5th October 2010, 05:23 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Like if you have had chance to use the ipad, maybe like how does it compare value wise? As I think how much it costs £599 is putting me off, but if it is worth it compared to other tablets then I would consider it more
5th October 2010, 05:42 PM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phen0m

How is the call quality/ease of use.. Does the tab "feel" swift?

Wouldn't know about call quality as it's only owned by an engineer that comes into our office, he doesn't have any problems as far as i've heard, but as with other threads here just don't expect it to fit into you jacket or trouser pocket, one it's to big and another it's to heavy to be comfortable.
You may have visited the dell streak forum, or heard of how fragile the dell streak lcd screen is? because of it's large size the body flexes but LCD's by their very nature cannot flex and they snap. Well just look at the size of the LCD on the Tab, and the body of the Tab is made of plastic and (not titanium as per streak) to save weight, this by it's very design will make it more suceptible to breakage, (the body will flex under pressure the LCD will not) = ££££££

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbo90

Like if you have had chance to use the ipad, maybe like how does it compare value wise? As I think how much it costs £599 is putting me off, but if it is worth it compared to other tablets then I would consider it more

Well the ipad and the Tab are two completely different entities, one is a bookreader trying to be a netbook pc, the others a smartphone with obesity problems. They shouldn't be compared IMO.
5th October 2010, 08:02 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkbox111

Wouldn't know about call quality as it's only owned by an engineer that comes into our office, he doesn't have any problems as far as i've heard, but as with other threads here just don't expect it to fit into you jacket or trouser pocket, one it's to big and another it's to heavy to be comfortable.
You may have visited the dell streak forum, or heard of how fragile the dell streak lcd screen is? because of it's large size the body flexes but LCD's by their very nature cannot flex and they snap. Well just look at the size of the LCD on the Tab, and the body of the Tab is made of plastic and (not titanium as per streak) to save weight, this by it's very design will make it more suceptible to breakage, (the body will flex under pressure the LCD will not) = ££££££

Well the ipad and the Tab are two completely different entities, one is a bookreader trying to be a netbook pc, the others a smartphone with obesity problems. They shouldn't be compared IMO.

Thank you. Do you have any questions that you would like answered about the device?

6th October 2010, 09:05 AM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halulz

Thank you. Do you have any questions that you would like answered about the device?

Similar to all owners i would think! why did samsung insist on utilising such a large bezel around the screen? therebye turning a 7' screen device into one more akin to a 10' without any benefits of a 10'?, and adding nothing to the looks of the device at the same time.
6th October 2010, 09:54 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:

Lol yeah I get the point, what I was more curious was in relation to the size, like is 7" too small to get a full web experience? Is it too big to carry round yet too small to use around the home? etc
6th October 2010, 10:47 AM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

like is 7" too small to get a full web experience?

No, because the 5" dell streak isn't to small for that!

Quote:

Is it too big to carry round yet too small to use around the home? etc

As in other posts! you will not carry this around on your pocket, unless you want to break it! You might try a large overcoat with a very wide collar, if the pockets big enough and you want to look like the FBI everywhere you go.

https://www.urbantool.com/hq/laptop-...show-pocketbar
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy, need suggestions, tab, video review

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)