Inspired by a request from Omega Ra, I decided to get my feet wet with WP7 development and build a Subnet Calculator application.
The app itself is pretty simple. You enter an ip address, and it will calculate the Network Id, Broadcast Address, and Min/Max host addresses for the configured subnet. Changing any of the settings will update the values. Here's a bullet point list of features:
- Two Modes - switch between a classful and classless calculator by swiping left/right. The application implements Microsoft's Pivot control.
- Flexibility - provides a selection of configuration options using the subnet mask, mask bits, subnet bits, hosts available per subnet, maximum available subnets, and the ip address.
- Email - send your configuration to yourself quickly and easily.
- List all subnets - for the classful calculator, you can view the list of all possible subnets.
- Make the IP Address easier to edit/manipulate. I'm thinking of enlarging the TextBox once you click on it, that way you'll be able to select parts of the address easier.
- Sexify the overall appearance
I'm open to any feedback/suggestions you all may have.
- I borrowed heavily from this online tool
- Thanks to Omega Ra for the idea :)
Application is now available in the marketplace, please get it through there and comment if you want to show some support, but the xap will always remain available and updated on this thread :)
To install on your phone just rename the file from SubnetCalculator.zip to SubnetCalculator.xap
Please see the WP7 Hacking for Beginners thread for further information on how to sideload an xap.