Frequently asked questions - FAQ
I've downloaded and installed it. How do I open it?
- 0.84b, published 2011-03-20 [from post 36]
- fixed a bug which prevented this app from working on certain devices like Dell Streak (thanks to guyver3869 for testing)
- fixed a minor memory usage bug, still working on the bigger one
- 0.83b, published 2010-12-06 [from post 30]
- fixed a bug where memory consumption would slowly raise and eventually crashed the app
- a new feature/setting called Rendering mode is introduced
- 0.82b, published 2010-10-13 [from post 13]
- fixed a bug where changelog kept showing in settings. Sorry about this!
- 0.81b, published 2010-10-13 [from post 13]
- fixed a bug where selecting certain directories would cause force closes
- fixed a bug where selecting a different video file would have no effect (thanks to rod for discovering the bug)
- corrected grammatical errors in help
- 0.8b, published 2010-10-09 [from post 3]
- initial version
This is a live wallpaper, not an app, you can't open
it in a traditional sense. That is why the market button is disabled and that is why there is no app icon.
Follow this procedure to set it as a live wallpaper:
- go to your home screen
- press the menu button on your device
- select "Wallpaper"
- select "Live Wallpapers" *
- search and select for "Video Live Wallpaper"
- select "Settings" to see the settings and select the video file to play back. Then select "Set wallpaper" to activate it
(* if you don't see "Live Wallpapers" option in the "Select wallpaper from" menu then your device probably doesn't support Live Wallpapers)
My video loads but it's very jerky/looses frames alot, and it makes the home screen app very slow. What to do?
Not every codec and format is the best choice for the Video Live Wallpaper. The maximum video resolution recommended is 854x480, the maximum FPS at that resolution is 20. You can go as high as 30, but then decrease the resolution. MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MJPEG and MPEG-4 are the best codecs to choose for, while x263 and x264 are two of the worst possible ones because they are complex. If you have your video in a .flv or .mp4 format, try converting them to .mpg or .avi. In any case, please read this page
(also embedded in the live wallpaper's help) to learn which kinds of videos are good and which aren't.
Why is there no sound? Will sound ever be supported?
Sound will likely never be supported, because:
Please enable Move to SD.
- it's extremely hard (with some codecs even impossible) to sync live wallpaper video to its audio due to how live wallpapers are handled (they often have to pause, they are often killed or slowed down by android in order to make swiping look smoother, for example, etc.)
- sound just doesn't belong in an app that would play it all the time (or at least all the time that you're on a home screen). Shorter non-spontanious sounds are fine in a live wallpaper, but a long-lasting sound that never stops just starts to annoy the user after a while. Imagine for example you're in a meeting/at your job/in class and you can't even check the time on your phone without interrupting the said event. Imagine someone calling you and you suddenly hear two sounds out of your phone. Imagine listening to mp3s and being in the home menu at the same time. Sound just shoudn't be a part of any live wallpaper.
No. Live wallpapers shouln't be movable to the SD. To learn why, read the official developer guide by Google.
Why does this Live wallpaper require internet access?
It's to download and show ads. They appear in the Live wallpaper's settings.
I can't find this on the market. Where is it?
Try to access it on your device directly using this link
. If your Market can't find it then you probably have a version of Android prior to 2.1 which doesn't support Live Wallpapers.
I've downloaded the APK but I don't know how to/can't install it. How do I do it?
- on the phone, go to Settings -> Applications -> check "Unknown sources" *
- find yourself a file browser on the Market. ASTRO File Manager is a good choice
- open your file browser app, search for the APK file on your SD card and launch it. The phone should offer you a dialog to install the live wallpaper (or to select the Package Installer)
- later when installed, go to home screen, press the menu key, select Wallpaper -> Live Wallpapers, search for Video Live Wallpaper
(* if your phone doesn't show the "Unknown sources" option, your carrier has disabled it. You might want to try one of the APK sideloading applications instead, like this one (you need a PC)
I can't download the APK. My phone says "Cannot download. The content is not supported on this phone". What to do?
Try downloading the app from the market first. If you can't, then download the APK with your computer and transfer the APK to the phone's SD Card. Or download with your phone using a downloading app, like ByteTornado.
This LWP is very cool. Thanks! How can I contribute?
In a number of ways: