FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Epic 4G All in One Root and Recovery 2.04 for Win Mac Linux *ClockworkMod Redirector*

309 posts
Thanks Meter: 564

By DRockstar, Retired Recognized Developer on 14th October 2010, 03:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Epic 4G All in One Root and Recovery 2.04 for Windows, Intel Mac, and Linux

***SORRY, AIO v2.04 IS CURRENTLY BROKEN FOR EB13, FIX IS COMING ASAP, USE ONE CLICK ROOT FOR NOW***

***WARNING NOT TO BE USED WITH ANY SUPPOSED LAGFIX, IT WILL SCREW UP YOUR SYSTEM AND YOU WILL NEED ODIN TO RESTORE***

OK, what started as scripts for my Mac turned out to be a big scripting project for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
This gives root and clockworkmod for all of the major operating systems.
This is like an Epic 4G swiss army knife, providing all of the basic tools in one convenient download.

These scripts give you a menu that allows you to choose between the following:

1) Simple One Click Root and ClockworkMod 2.04 - based on one click root 2.5.4 by noobnl and firon, compatible with Eclair and Froyo, ClockworkMod redirector for Froyo included
2) Andromeda Kernel 1.4.1 by noobnl - custom kernel with root, busybox and superuser, for 2.1 Eclair
3) SDX Stock App Remover 1.5 apk - back up and remove Stock Apps for rooted users
4) Wireless Tether 2.0.5-pre13 - Open source wireless tether for rooted users
5) Simple Root Uninstaller 2.04 - removes one clicks / z4root, Eclair and Froyo compatible
6) Reinstate Stock DI18 kernel for 2.1 Eclair
7) Reinstate Stock Samsung Recovery for Eclair or Froyo, uninstalls ClockworkMod and redirector

You could call this a noobnl festival for all operating systems...

PLEASE READ ALL MY NOTES BEFORE INSTALLING, I'VE FOUND LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVEN'T READ OR FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS... FOR WINDOWS USERS, DRIVERS NEED TO BE INSTALLED CORRECTLY FOR THIS TO WORK.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/500010/epic.aio.v2.04.zip

New! Now compatible with Android 2.2 Froyo, with ClockworkMod redirector included in script. Won't allow Eclair kernels or recovery to be installed on Froyo. ClockworkMod install now in Simple Root script. Wireless Tether added. Stock Samsung Recovery for Eclair and Froyo added.

NOTES: - Sorry so many in this page, but they really need to be listed Please at least read through until the end of the instructions before running this.

This is an all-in-one installer for the Epic 4G. When running this, the menu presented allows you to choose what you want to do, and does not install everything in one run. It is intended to only perform one menu item at a time.

If you just want to remove bloatware and run rooted apps, and don't intend to flash ROMs or rooted kernels, then just the Simple One Click Root will suffice by itself. This script now has a menu option to install SDX Stock App Remover, which is great at backing up and removing the Sprint bloatware. That will make it easy to bring back to stock and just remove root if it's necessary. Know what you're removing with the Stock App Remover, as removing the wrong system apps will get you into trouble!

Installing the Andromeda Kernel from this script does not require ClockworkMod Recovery. It can be uninstalled by flashing the stock kernel. The Andromeda kernel is already rooted, and does not require the one click root.

Clockwork Mod Recovery is used to flash other kernels, ROMs, and Mods. Instructions for booting into ClockworkMod are listed below. This is now installed with the Simple One Click Root, and a backup should be performed right away after installing it from the menu in ClockworkMod.

The past couple of generations of one click roots are safe with rooted kernels and ROMs, and are installed in /system/xbin, which is the last location in the path. Rooted kernels will just take precedence when installed.

Both the Simple One Click Root and the Root Uninstaller will remove the older joeykrim roots that use the hacked playlogo.

Because Superuser.apk is installed, superuser will ask permission before any program is granted root access. This is to ensure that no rogue program takes root privilege without your knowledge.

Booting into Clockwork Mod: Power down phone. Press and hold the camera button, then the volume down button, and then the power button, continuing pressure on all 3 keys until the Clockwork Mod menu appears, which will be seconds after the Samsung logo appears on the screen. The menu for Clockwork Mod Recovery has green text, instead of the blue text used by the stock Samsung recovery. Navigate up and down using the volume up and down keys, the power button goes back, and the camera button acts as enter key.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Before running, do the following on the phone from the home screen :
Press Menu > Settings > Applications > Development, and make sure USB Debugging is checked on your phone.

WINDOWS:
Samsung drivers are required:
32-bit drivers: http://firon.net/xda/Samsung_Mobile_...00_Epic_4G.zip
64-bit drivers: http://firon.net/xda/usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64.zip

Note: Driver installation under Windows 7 has been a pain for some, and has been the number one reason why people haven't been able to run the script successfully.
Also: DO NOT RUN run.bat as Administrator (by right clicking on the file and running as admin), the script will fail! Thanks to shepscrook for pointing this out.

Extract the zip file, and go inside the folder that was created with the same name.
Open run.bat (or just run) type in a number option, and press enter. Really easy (Hopefully ).

INTEL MAC & LINUX:
Note: Mac and Linux users may be prompted to enter administrative password, as adb server requires sudo permissions to start.

No drivers required.
Extract the zip file.
Open Terminal. Use the cd command to get to the directory. If you extracted inside the Downloads folder, it would be easy in Terminal as so:

Code:
cd ~/Downloads/epic.aio.v2.04
Now give permissions and run it:

Code:
chmod +x run.sh
./run.sh
THANKS TO FIRON FOR CODE MAKING THE SAME SCRIPT BOTH INTEL MAC AND LINUX COMPATIBLE.

After choosing the menu selection, just follow the instructions. I did try to make this very easy for you

THANKS TO NOOBNL FOR PERMISSION TO USE HIS STUFF, AND FIRON FOR HELP WITH SCRIPTING.
Other Credits:
joeykrim - original exploit
skeeterslint - busybox
koush - Clockwork Mod

These are just modifications of work already done by the aforementioned. I just had the vision to unify all of it into one master tool that can be used across all computers.

LINKS TO ORIGINAL RELEASES:
Handy if you're having trouble with this release, or just want to learn more about the originals:

One Click Root 2.5.4 by noobnl
ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.1.0 by noobnl
Andromeda Kernel 1.4.1 by noobnl and Kernel Sources
SDX Stock App Remover 1.5 apk

VERSION HISTORY:
1.01 Added chmod to adb.lin and adb.osx to ensure that scripts work right first time, especially in linux.

1.10 Major rewrite for Mac and Linux unifying into one master script, with very generous script contribution by Firon. Scripts are now more organized and efficient. Remount now in /system/xbin. Uninstaller has rclean file that lists all files to be removed from phone, and now runs from phone to reduce visible rm failed errors. adb server now restarts after exploit, which greatly reduces chances of phone losing connection. Command line input options. Has busybox by skeeterslint. Added menu option to reboot phone.

1.11 Changed adb alias to include sudo, to prevent permission errors. Will prompt for password on first run if necessary.

1.12 Checks to make sure phone connection is seen before and after exploit, and after reboot. Thanks to Firon for the timer code. Checks to make sure Clockwork mod install reboot takes place, therefore knowing if it was properly installed. Added both methods for installing clockwork mod, and menu option to install SDX Stock App Remover 1.5 apk.

1.13 Smarter script, detecting if kernel is rooted, should eliminate problems with Clockwork Mod installs. Added Andromeda Kernel 1.4.0.

2.00 Rewritten based on One Click Root 2.4.0 by noobnl and Firon. Made compatible with 2.2 Froyo. Stock Samsung Recovery added. Added Wifi Tether. Will detect if Froyo is installed on phone and abort if trying to flash Eclair kernels or recovery.

2.01 ClockworkMod redirector by noobnl included, only installs if Froyo is detected.

2.02 Incorporated improvements from One Click Root & ClockworkMod 2.5.0 by noobnl and Firon. Includes Firon edits to ClockworkMod redirector files. Reinstating Stock Samsumg recovery will install appropriate bin for Eclair or Froyo automatically.

2.03 Fixes a couple of script errors, minor edits.

2.04 Updated to latest adb binaries, which affected linux users. Wifi tether updated to pre15. Playlogo replace fixed in batch script. Clockworkmod redirector files fixed to fit inside dk28 /system folder. More script fixes.

Bonus: Command line tools built into script:
e --runs the exploit, to get su from adb shell, if kernel isn't rooted
k --shuts down adb with adb kill-server
r --reboots the phone by starting adb server then calling adb reboot
s --restarts adb server, by first killing it, then starting it again
This can be evoked from the command line as so, saving some typing:
Windows:
Code:
run e
run k
run r
run s
Mac / Linux:
Code:
./run.sh e
./run.sh k
./run.sh r
./run.sh s
Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to DRockstar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DRockstar Ad-Free

14th October 2010, 03:28 AM |#2  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Pasadena, CA

Donate to Me
More
Sorry no link here, it's in the sdx epic 4g developers forum, the file is about 13mb hosted on my dropbox account. I couldn't find a way to split it into just 2 files, all my archive programs only handle diskette and cd sizes.

I've been working on this for a while now, and figured I'd share it on xda now, especially since the post by mkasick here on the simpler root method inspired me to name the root and removal methods "simple".

I'm new at xda, I'm just a scripter, but any developer can take a look at the script and see it's legit.

If a moderator could unlock me to put the link directly in the post, I'd be much obliged... I do realize the need to prevent spammers.

OK, signing off, hope you all enjoy it!

DRockstar
21st October 2010, 12:42 AM |#3  
Flag Pasadena, CA

Donate to Me
More
OK, this has been updated for those interested. I know some of you have checked this out at the SDX forums. I'm still waiting for permissions to post outside links so that you can download it directly from here. Sorry for the inconvenience.
21st October 2010, 12:57 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Used your root and worked flawlessly. Awesome job!!
21st October 2010, 01:38 AM |#5  
Flag Pasadena, CA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomevo77

Used your root and worked flawlessly. Awesome job!!

Thanks for letting me know that it's been useful! I spent a lot of time perfecting it.
21st October 2010, 10:40 AM |#6  
Flag Pasadena, CA

Donate to Me
More
Download link is finally up...

Thanks to the moderator for letting me know what I needed to do.
21st October 2010, 12:45 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 172

More
Have people used this? See, this is why there's not a huge dev pool on here...this would've came in handy if I saw this post a couple days ago :/ you should put this on the wiki for other people

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
21st October 2010, 12:47 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 172

More
My last post sounded mean...I meant it as people just don't appreciate some of the hard work on here

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
21st October 2010, 08:16 PM |#9  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 342

More
Very nice, works easy for me on Mac OS X.

Quick question, is it ok/safe to flash the Andromeda Kernel 1.4.0 by noobnl over the stock kernel just to compare it's battery life/performance over the stock kernel?

I'm NOT interested in flashing custom ROMS yet (and when i do i'll be sure to follow your caveats regarding removing one-clicks and such).
21st October 2010, 08:53 PM |#10  
Flag Pasadena, CA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLugard

Very nice, works easy for me on Mac OS X.

Quick question, is it ok/safe to flash the Andromeda Kernel 1.4.0 by noobnl over the stock kernel just to compare it's battery life/performance over the stock kernel?

I'm NOT interested in flashing custom ROMS yet (and when i do i'll be sure to follow your caveats regarding removing one-clicks and such).

Yes, you'll be fine if you want to test out the Andromeda kernel in this release. The Root Uninstaller will remove it without problems. That is one reason I included it in this release, so you can at least try one good rooted kernel safely.

For Mac and Linux users, it is imperative to create a backup in clockwork mod before testing out any other kernels and ROMs. Windows has Odin3 for flashing a full stock system to the phone as a backup, while no alternative exists for Mac or Linux. There is a stock ROM posted by noobnl in the Epic 4G wiki, which I think is the best alternative we have right now.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
21st October 2010, 09:13 PM |#11  
Flag Fall River, MA
Thanks Meter: 56

More
I ran it all in one and it worked it seemed, however, it did not install clockwork. Worked great tho once I ran the file again and picked clockwork only.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)