FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Voodoo Toggle app and Reboot Util.

121 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By Zennmaster, Senior Member on 21st October 2010, 05:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Version 1.0.3 Now Current:

Some changes required for the Market broke some permissions. All better now.

Version 1.0.2

Not much new, just included the ultra-cool custom icon created by frostman89. Thanks again, Frost!

Now on the Android Market:

VERSION 1.0.1 WITH BUGFIXES:

Some people have had some trouble with the previous version of this app, so I have made some fixes. I'm pretty sure that if any of the problems that have been reported recur, it's because of the way VooDoo deals with disabling itself.

The link below is now to the current version.

Thanks again for everyone's patience and support!

Hi all.

I've just created my first Android app, and I hope the folks here might find it useful.

It has two functions:

1) it detects the presence or absence of the /sdcard/voodoo directory (and thus the presence or absence of Voodoo), and allows the user to toggle Voodoo on or off.

2) it allows the user to reboot, either a normal reboot or a reboot to recovery with a single button press.

Naturally, it requires root access.

I've found this is a pretty easy way to switch Voodoo on and off when flashing ROMs, kernels, and all that stuff.

I know there is something similar on the Market, but I wanted to make my own as a learning experience, and I also wanted a "Reboot to Recovery" button.

This one is also free, and the source is available on github (I'm sure my code sucks, but I honestly don't know why. If someone were to feel like explaining it to me, I'd sure appreciate it! ).

The usual installation procedures apply:

Method 1:

Download the file below to a location on your local computer in your $PATH and type:

adb install RebootButton.apk

Method 2:

Drop the file below to a location on your SD card and navigate to it using Astro, Root Explorer or another file manager (these are the two I use). In Astro, click on the file, then select "App Manager" then "Install"

In Root Explorer, select the file, then select "Install".

That's it.

Here it is:

http://www.zennmaster.com/Android/RebootButton.apk

I'll be sending this to the Market as soon as I can whip up an icon.

Suggestions and feedback are more than welcome!

I wish to sincerely thank all those very smart folks, around here and on IRC, for all the inspiration they didn't even know they were giving me, as well as all the cool toys that created the need for this app in the first place!

The application and the source code are both hereby released under the GPL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	423666  

21st October 2010, 05:51 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Wow thats going to help a lot of people; nice work zenn

Installed, I timed my ShootMe shot with your About button for the free advertising and credit for ya
21st October 2010, 06:03 AM |#3  
Flag Richmond
Thanks Meter: 535

More
Right on man! Excellent work!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App
21st October 2010, 06:03 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Nice work Zen, hope this solves a lot of issues pertaining to Voodoo!
21st October 2010, 06:09 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I've been having problems just creating the disable_lagfix file to disable voodoo. Will this help and actually uninstall it or will it more than likely cause the same problems? Thanks for making this easier in any case.
21st October 2010, 06:20 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithben24

I've been having problems just creating the disable_lagfix file to disable voodoo. Will this help and actually uninstall it or will it more than likely cause the same problems? Thanks for making this easier in any case.

The App won't uninstall Voodoo completely, it just creates and removes the correctly named file from the appropriate directory.

What sort of problems have you been having creating the disable_lagfix file?
21st October 2010, 06:21 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saps

Installed, I timed my ShootMe shot with your About button for the free advertising and credit for ya

Schweeet! Thanks!
21st October 2010, 06:34 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennmaster

The App won't uninstall Voodoo completely, it just creates and removes the correctly named file from the appropriate directory.

What sort of problems have you been having creating the disable_lagfix file?

So basically it just adds the disable_lagfix file in sdcard/voodoo folder?
Still someone will benefit from that.

So in practice hitting the voodoo off creates the file and places it on sdcard and reboot obviously reboots, wait 10 minutes and voila
Still thats two clicks and done, a nice move for the lazy or the ignorant not meant to be disrespectful, ignorant simple means lacking knowledge
21st October 2010, 06:36 AM |#9  

More
Just installed but haven't used it yet.

Quick question (since i'm still new to all of this.) When rooting and installing lag fix on my SF a couple days ago, the instructions I followed did not include making a nandroid backup. If I use the app to disable lag fix, can I create a nandroid backup and then re-enable lag fix using the app?
21st October 2010, 06:39 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty9803

Just installed but haven't used it yet.

Quick question (since i'm still new to all of this.) When rooting and installing lag fix on my SF a couple days ago, the instructions I followed did not include making a nandroid backup. If I use the app to disable lag fix, can I create a nandroid backup and then re-enable lag fix using the app?

Yup!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App
21st October 2010, 06:40 AM |#11  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Zennmaster, what's your handle on IRC?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)