FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Don't install new firmware - it bricks the phone!

17 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By b2206015, Junior Member on 23rd October 2010, 12:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I downloaded the official rom from the official HTC website.

It is the WWE East Europe version - suited for my device because the SN is confirmed.

The download finished OK from the Europe 2 server.

I flashed by placing the extracted leoimg.nbh on the root of the SD Card.

I confirmed that the flash was successful - it shows the correct version number of Manilla, radio, etc. Additionally, the ROM is still only 448 MB.

However, the phone freezes all the time and/or restarts itself complely randomly - I have observed this 22 times in the past hour. Is anyone experiencing something similar?

I have redone the flash again, but the same issue occurs.

This is happening with no programs installed, no HSPL, etc. Everything is completely clean.

What can I do to stop this?

23rd October 2010, 12:57 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
may i know why you flashed the latest stock rom using your sd card. would it not be easier to flash through your pc using a usb cable?
23rd October 2010, 02:04 PM |#3  
Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter: 7,550

More
you might want to check the meaning of "bricking the phone"...........
then remove it from the title of the thread........
23rd October 2010, 03:10 PM |#4  
Flag Chippenham
Thanks Meter: 161

More
As Rurph mentioned, flash it via your pc, still following the instructions from theHTC site
23rd October 2010, 05:55 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
I now tried flashing through PC, same freezing occurs.

To reiterate:

I have an original HTC HD2 bought from the official HTC shop in Czech republic.

I downloaded the latest official ROM for HTC HD2 from the official htc.com/cz website using my original serial number.

The download finished successfully every time (I tried it 5 times from all the different servers), and the SHA-1 hash of the files was identical every time.

I now flashed it using the normal PC method - everything appeared successful.

I also tried extracting the nbh file from the downloaded file - both by running the .exe file, and by extracting it using winrar - both methods gave me the same nbh file with the same SHA-1 hash. Then I moved the leoimg.nbh to the root of SD card and flashed using the SD-Card method. Everything appeared successful.

Both of the above methods give me a system that freezes completely at random. For example when starting the phone, it can just freeze (left it for 8 hours over night, it remained frozed), when moving from 1 tab to another (freezes in the middle of the animation), when opening the start menu, when going into settings, when making phone call, when opening SMS, and most importantly when NOT DOING ANYTHING AT ALL.

What can I do?
23rd October 2010, 06:18 PM |#6  
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Try to flash an older Version.
I don't know if its possible, but maybe that solves your problem.
Did you have SPL 3.03? If no... Install HSPL and use a custom ROM like the one from NRGZ28 (EnergyROM)
If you an't flash the older version via RUU (Rom Update Utility) try to flash it from SD card. You can also perform a "task 29" with MTTY (before you flash)
But be careful, you can brick your phone...
23rd October 2010, 06:35 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
I have always only used official ROMs from HTC, so I never needed HSPL so I never installed it. I also always prefer the official ROMs so I would rather not use a cooked one.

I think flashing an older version would solve the problem, however I would rather like to find out what the cause is...

So far, I managed to get my phone to a useable state by running Android from the SD card - it works flawlessly for all my purposes. The only problem was to start Android through Windows before windows manages to freeze...

Given that android does not freeze, I believe that the freezing problem must be a windows mobile issue.

Any suggestions for tracking down this freezing problem? Could it be a hardware issue?
23rd October 2010, 07:25 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1,055

More
hard reset. and if no better flash the rom again followed by hard reset.always hard reset straight away as soon as you see a glitch in a freshly flashed rom. don't ask me why, cos i don't know, but it does seem to help when a flash doesn't "take".

oh and you didn't leave the old application data folder on your sd card did you? or try to restore registry settings?
23rd October 2010, 07:28 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamuel

hard reset. and if no better flash the rom again followed by hard reset.always hard reset straight away as soon as you see a glitch in a freshly flashed rom. don't ask me why, cos i don't know, but it does seem to help when a flash doesn't "take".

I always hard reset before and after a flash. No change - freezing still occurs.

Even when I did multiple hard resets, the freezing persisted.

The SD card is freshly formatted, checked for no filesystem errors.

I did not restore any settings or anything else - the problem occurs on a completely fresh clean flash.

Additionally, the problem occurs even with no SIM card or SD card inserted into the phone.
24th October 2010, 04:03 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
Overheating?
24th October 2010, 09:58 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 631

More
I concur with rr5678, seems more like overheating than ROM problems, esp. that I've had the same ROM for a week with no problems whatsoever
hence kind request to OP: check overheating threads and please change the thread subject to a more accurate one so it does not spread misinformation and panic

as for the overheating - 1st thing to do is installing BattClock and monitoring correlation between freezes and battery temperature
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)