FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Captivate Boot Animations!

449 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By Demented71, Senior Member on 26th October 2010, 09:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
DISCLAIMER: Any modification to your phone is done at your own risk. I am not responsible for any problems you MIGHT incur by applying these bootanimations.

Also, I have only made/tested these on my Captivate running Cogniton 2.2 Beta 9. I can not guarantee they will work on other phones/ROMs.

Since Designgears has finally released a version of Cognition 2.2 with Voodoo and Boot Animation support, I've been having a little fun making a few. I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread specifically for Captivates, since this hasn't always been easy for us Cappy users to have custom boot animations!

I figure this would be a good thread for everyone to post their bootanimations, and get help on how to make them work.

If you post one that you did, please try and make a GIF of the animation as well. Even though it may display differently on the phone, it would give you an idea of what it looks like.

These bootanimation.zip files need to go into /system/media. I use Root explorer to just copy them from my SD card to that location.

ADB or Terminal Emulator:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKight

Assuming your /system partition is set to rw (read-write), you just open a command prompt and cd to the directory containing the bootanimation.zip. You then type "adb push bootanimation.zip /system/media".

So I'll start off! Both of these were created to match my current theme I have going of stainless steel icons, clock, and wallpaper. The DG one I just applied some light flaring.

Stained Glass Stainless Steel:

DOWNLOAD

Pulsing Stainless Steel:

DOWNLOAD

Android Basic:

DOWNLOAD

Android w/Cognition Info:

DOWNLOAD

Android White Rotating Colors:

DOWNLOAD

Android Black Rotating Colors:

DOWNLOAD

Electric Android: (My current) -pun intended- :P

DOWNLOAD

And finally, the one included in Cognition 2.2 beta 9 (credit to Reefermattness for making the original):

DOWNLOAD

Now I'm sure there are some more talented people than me on these boards, so let's see them!

26th October 2010, 11:54 AM |#2  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 119

More
I'll have to check these out when I get home. For now, I'm using the one for the R2D2 Droid 2.
26th October 2010, 12:04 PM |#3  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Nice ...

Can you provide a short tutorial on how to make one ?
26th October 2010, 12:27 PM |#4  
Flag Johannesburg
Thanks Meter: 3

Donate to Me
More
Currently using the N1 and Win7 mash up. Spinning orbs into the Nexus "X".
26th October 2010, 12:35 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ari197

Nice ...

Can you provide a short tutorial on how to make one ?

I actually used this tutorial to get started:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=623960

I had used this kernel that supports the bootanimation.zip files first, but couldn't get it to work until I installed DG's beta 9 Cog 2.2.

It just seemed to work then.

Take note, if you look at some of the ones I posted, my part0 folder is empty on some. It doesn't seem to need anything in there, since the instructions in the desc.txt file tell it not to loop, so it goes right to the part1 folder. That is where all of your images go.

If people still seem to have questions, and maybe don't get that tutorial I posted, then perhaps I'll add a simple quick tutorial at the beginning of this thread. Bear in mind that I am using old school software (Paint Shop Pro 7 and Animation shop), so you will have to adjust accordingly if you use newer stuff.

Anyway, just added two more!
26th October 2010, 12:48 PM |#6  
Flag Louisville

More
I like "Android Basic". It's simple. I like that.
26th October 2010, 12:53 PM |#7  
Flag Louisville

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented71

These bootanimation.zip files need to go into /system/media. I use Root explorer to just copy them from my SD card to that location. I'm not as familiar with ADB, but surely someone will post how to do it that way, and I'll update that here.

Assuming your /system partition is set to rw (read-write), you just open a command prompt and cd to the directory containing the bootanimation.zip. You then type "adb push bootanimation.zip /system/media".
26th October 2010, 02:13 PM |#8  
Flag ---= THE JAW =--- SK
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Arrow
I currently use Absolute System to install boot animations, it would be nice to see these added to it's current database

Nice work!

EDIT: Nevermind I just moved your files over to goodies directory of Absolute System, working great!
26th October 2010, 03:12 PM |#9  
Flag Alantucky
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
My first crack at a boot animation...
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker/flasher, first time poster

Inspired by Cognition 2.2beta9 and its new ability to customize boot animations, I thought I'd try my hand--particularly since I know nothing about coding and cannot contribute in any way, shape, or form to that endeavor.

I hope somebody find this interesting/cool/quirky. Let me know what you think:

(Sorry--forum won't let me post images/links yet--you know what to do...) h t t p : / / w w w .broughammedia.com/download/android/cog2-2_b9-bootanimation.gif

(I trust that, if you're going so far to download this thing, that you understand what you're doing and that you in no way hold me responsible if it causes your phone to singe your fingers, kicks your puppy, or speaks in a ribald nature to your mother. You've been warned )

Thanks for looking!
Attached Files
File Type: zip cog2-2_b9-bootanimation.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.95 MB, 176 views)
26th October 2010, 04:05 PM |#10  
Flag Memphis, TN
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrougham

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker/flasher, first time poster

Inspired by Cognition 2.2beta9 and its new ability to customize boot animations, I thought I'd try my hand--particularly since I know nothing about coding and cannot contribute in any way, shape, or form to that endeavor.

I hope somebody find this interesting/cool/quirky. Let me know what you think:

(Sorry--forum won't let me post images/links yet--you know what to do...) h t t p : / / w w w .broughammedia.com/download/android/cog2-2_b9-bootanimation.gif

(I trust that, if you're going so far to download this thing, that you understand what you're doing and that you in no way hold me responsible if it causes your phone to singe your fingers, kicks your puppy, or speaks in a ribald nature to your mother. You've been warned )

Thanks for looking!

Looks good! nice work my friend.
26th October 2010, 04:12 PM |#11  
Flag Alantucky
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Beefalo

Looks good! nice work my friend.

Thank you! I appreciate the comment. Incidentally, do you have any idea how many posts it takes before you can add images and links?

Since my day job is video production, this seemed like a fun and natural extension. Plus, it gives me a chance to work on my After Effects and animation skillz.

If anyone has any ideas or concepts they would like to see for a boot animation, I'm all ears... err, eyes. I'll probably try to make a new one each time a Cognition ROM rolls out, as that is my ROM du jour.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)