1. A formatted micro SD card.
2. Fully charged phone.
3. A windows PC.
4. Android SDK.
5. Backup tools to backup existing data on your Android phone.
A GoldCard turns your device into a generic device, thereby allowing modifications like installing another firmware possible. There are different methods to create a GoldCard but I found this the easiest:
1. A formatted SD card is necessary for this. A GoldCard is nothing but a formatted SD card with modified CID. Insert the SD card in the phone and format the card (Settings -> SD Card & Phone Storage -> Unmount SD Card -> Format SD Card).
2. Download “Klutsch’s GoldCard creation tool” from here. Run this tool as administrator. (this tool is windows only)
3. Enable USB Debugging mode in your phone (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging) and connect the phone to your windows PC.
4. Click on “Get CID” Tab and copy the CID that is generated. In case you get any error, select MMC0.
5. Open the link “http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard“, enter your email id and the CID. You will then get the GoldCard image to the mentioned email id.
6. Download the GoldCard image to PC, from the GoldCard creation tool, click on ‘load GoldCard.img’, select the image that you just downloaded and click on “Patch MMC”.
7. Voila, you now have your GoldCard. Please do not use this card for any other purpose till the rooting process is over and it’s time to downgrade the OS.
Remove the GoldCard and use the primary card till the GoldCard is needed. (not necessary)
Downgrade the OS:
Download the following packages before starting this process:
• Android SDK (copy the SDK to C:\ add C:\androidSDK\Tools to your windows path)
• RUU 1.31 for Legend
Connect your phone to the PC ‘charge only’ mode. copy the contents of hack4legendv5.zip to androidSDK/tools directory and then run the script crackin.bat The phone will reboot couple of times and there will be lot of errors shown in the terminal. In the end look for the line showing permissions for the file /dev/mtd/mtd0. It should look like this:
crwxrwxrwx 1 1001 2002 90, 0 Jul 19 16:19 /dev/mtd/mtd0
Now, connect your phone to the PC in ‘charge-only’ mode and execute the file RUU_Legend_HTC_WWE_1.31.405.5_R_Radio_47.26.35.04_ 7.05.35.26L_release_126592_signed.exe and just follow the instructions and the phone will reboot to 1.31 version of firmware. And it’s time for Legend to get rooted. There will be a few errors but don’t get disheartened.
Root the Legend:
Time to use the GoldCard. Insert the GoldCard and connect the phone to the PC in ‘charge only’ mode.
1. Download the file r4-legend-root.zip from here. Unzip the file to a directory and cd to the directory.
2. Switch off your Legend, switch it back on in ‘fast boot’ mode (keep the back button pressed while switching the phone ON). When you see that the phone has booted into fast boot screen.
3. Connect the phone to the PC and run step1-windows.bat
4. After that is over, select RECOVERY option. Fastboot screen –> Boot loader -> recovery. You need to use phone’s volume rocker to move up/down the menu and power button to select the option. The phone screen should now show a phone with red caution sign.
5. From the terminal window, run step2-windows.bat. Once this step is completed, the phone will be back in recovery mode. From the options, select ‘wipe data’ and then select the option to update the ROM, select the file ‘rootedupdate.zip’ from SD card. The rooting process will now start and after few minutes, the phone will boot with rooted firmware.
Moderators and other experienced Members, I know my editing isn't perfect here 'cause I'm in a hurry but this is the guide I followed and I was rooted within 15 minutes. Feel free to edit (Mods) and suggest (Members). Umm... does this belong to the Development section?