FORUMS

Detailed guide for Rooting.

132 posts
Thanks Meter: 62

By ishan_rulz, Senior Member on 30th October 2010, 02:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have done this on a Windows 7 64-bit PC. If you have a Linux, run *.sh instead of *.bat

Required:

1. A formatted micro SD card.
2. Fully charged phone.
3. A windows PC.
4. Android SDK.
5. Backup tools to backup existing data on your Android phone.

Create GoldCard:

A GoldCard turns your device into a generic device, thereby allowing modifications like installing another firmware possible. There are different methods to create a GoldCard but I found this the easiest:

1. A formatted SD card is necessary for this. A GoldCard is nothing but a formatted SD card with modified CID. Insert the SD card in the phone and format the card (Settings -> SD Card & Phone Storage -> Unmount SD Card -> Format SD Card).
2. Download “Klutsch’s GoldCard creation tool” from here. Run this tool as administrator. (this tool is windows only)
3. Enable USB Debugging mode in your phone (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging) and connect the phone to your windows PC.
4. Click on “Get CID” Tab and copy the CID that is generated. In case you get any error, select MMC0.
5. Open the link “http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard“, enter your email id and the CID. You will then get the GoldCard image to the mentioned email id.
6. Download the GoldCard image to PC, from the GoldCard creation tool, click on ‘load GoldCard.img’, select the image that you just downloaded and click on “Patch MMC”.
7. Voila, you now have your GoldCard. Please do not use this card for any other purpose till the rooting process is over and it’s time to downgrade the OS.
Remove the GoldCard and use the primary card till the GoldCard is needed. (not necessary)

Downgrade the OS:

Download the following packages before starting this process:
Android SDK (copy the SDK to C:\ add C:\androidSDK\Tools to your windows path)
hack4legendv5.zip
RUU 1.31 for Legend

Connect your phone to the PC ‘charge only’ mode. copy the contents of hack4legendv5.zip to androidSDK/tools directory and then run the script crackin.bat The phone will reboot couple of times and there will be lot of errors shown in the terminal. In the end look for the line showing permissions for the file /dev/mtd/mtd0. It should look like this:
Quote:

crwxrwxrwx 1 1001 2002 90, 0 Jul 19 16:19 /dev/mtd/mtd0

This means that your phone is ready for OS downgrade.

Now, connect your phone to the PC in ‘charge-only’ mode and execute the file RUU_Legend_HTC_WWE_1.31.405.5_R_Radio_47.26.35.04_ 7.05.35.26L_release_126592_signed.exe and just follow the instructions and the phone will reboot to 1.31 version of firmware. And it’s time for Legend to get rooted. There will be a few errors but don’t get disheartened.

Root the Legend:

Time to use the GoldCard. Insert the GoldCard and connect the phone to the PC in ‘charge only’ mode.
1. Download the file r4-legend-root.zip from here. Unzip the file to a directory and cd to the directory.
2. Switch off your Legend, switch it back on in ‘fast boot’ mode (keep the back button pressed while switching the phone ON). When you see that the phone has booted into fast boot screen.
3. Connect the phone to the PC and run step1-windows.bat
4. After that is over, select RECOVERY option. Fastboot screen –> Boot loader -> recovery. You need to use phone’s volume rocker to move up/down the menu and power button to select the option. The phone screen should now show a phone with red caution sign.
5. From the terminal window, run step2-windows.bat. Once this step is completed, the phone will be back in recovery mode. From the options, select ‘wipe data’ and then select the option to update the ROM, select the file ‘rootedupdate.zip’ from SD card. The rooting process will now start and after few minutes, the phone will boot with rooted firmware.

Moderators and other experienced Members, I know my editing isn't perfect here 'cause I'm in a hurry but this is the guide I followed and I was rooted within 15 minutes. Feel free to edit (Mods) and suggest (Members). Umm... does this belong to the Development section?
The Following User Says Thank You to ishan_rulz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ishan_rulz Ad-Free
30th October 2010, 10:28 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 688

More
Fantastic guide. Really great. I had half a mind to do one myself, no need now. This should help a lot of people. It might also be worth going through the other threads, and pulling out an FAQ with links to relevant posts. I'll help with that if you like.

Get this in the stickies!
31st October 2010, 01:14 AM |#3  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Medvode
Thanks Meter: 570

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan_rulz

Required:

3. A windows PC.

Hmm, Windows? Haven't seen that for several years (thankfully) except on our house, but I can still manage to root...

Sent from my HTC Legend using XDA App
31st October 2010, 05:54 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore

More
@TheGrammarFreak
Okay, if you have additional points, just write it down... I'll add it next time I edit it.

@BlaY0
I have only tested this on a Windows PC, but I'm sure it'll work on Linux too. Added it as a note before the guide. Thanks.
31st October 2010, 04:15 PM |#5  
Flag Sarajevo
Thanks Meter: 9

More
where do i dl "rootedupdate.zip" or when u do step 1 and step 2 it will be on card or what?
31st October 2010, 05:33 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 688

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBeSad

where do i dl "rootedupdate.zip" or when u do step 1 and step 2 it will be on card or what?

The scripts push it on there. That's why the download is so big...
8th November 2010, 12:40 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore

More
Bump. Well... can someone have this moved to the development part.
8th November 2010, 11:21 PM |#8  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Any way to root via OS X?
16th April 2011, 07:11 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm getting this error when trying to get the CID in the gold card tool, what am I doing wrong?

------------------------
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
------------------------
Could not locate CID in output
17th April 2011, 03:30 AM |#10  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Im also getting the same error as tecchtalknews and have no idea what is causing it. ps im using a sand disk 2gb sd card that came with the phone, and yes usb debugging is on.
17th April 2011, 03:44 AM |#11  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 1

More
ahh never mind, i just had to sync it with htc sync before i used gold card tools
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)