Who is Team ADX....a few of us here on xda have been working on some projects together including this one. Workshed, Conap, and Gnarlyc.
What is Dual Rom....Dual Rom is the first rom on the eris that will install a 2.1 Sense based rom on your phone and at the same time it will install a 2.2 CM/AOSP mix rom onto your sd card. You will then be able to boot back and forth between the two rom by using pre-written scripts in gscipt app. No need to go into recovery.
EDIT: As of V1.2 We've changed it up a little. Both roms are half on phone and half on sd. We found this to be more stable with easier updates and a quicker install time. It also gave us the speed boost we saw with the sd rom on both roms.
What are the requirements....You will not need any special recovery's or need to make any changes to the phone. You will need to partition your sd card. Instructions for partitioning sd card are below.
Credit other then ADX team members:
- unCoRrUpTeD from the cdma hero forums for all the work here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803302
- Jcase for his stock sense build
- CyanogenMod for the ton of work they have done to make Android better for everyone
TO PARTITION SD CARD:
NOTE THAT THIS WILL ERASE ALL CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD. PLEASE BACKUP YOUR SD CARD FILES.
Plug phone into pc and reboot phone into recovery. Open a command prompt or terminal and copy/paste the following commands:
rm 4 (these are removing your partitions. if you only have 1 partition it will just give you an error after deleting the first one. Just ignore these errors)
mkpartfs primary fat32 0 3500 (can be adjusted to your needs. This partition will be used by the 2.1 rom and by recovery)
mkpartfs primary ext2 3501 3750 (this will be the data partition for the 2.2 rom. You can make it bigger or smaller depending on the number of apps you use. Make it no smaller then 200mb)
mkpartfs primary ext2 3751 4100 (this will be the data partition used by the 2.1 rom. You can make it bigger or smaller depending on the number of apps you use. Make it no smaller then 200mb)
mkpart extended 4101 7948 (this is needed because you can only make 4 primary partitions and we need 5 so we make an extended partition that will allow us to make 2 more partitoins inside of the extended partition)
mkpartfs logical ext2 4101 4150 (this is the cache partition for the sd rom)
mkpartfs logical fat32 4151 7948 (this will be used by the sd rom which is the 2.2 rom. You can make first partition larger and this one smaller or vice versa depending on which rom you may need more space for)
Your card should now be partitioned.
Once your sd card is partitioned correctly you can install Dual Rom. Download the zip file from the link below and put it on your sd card. Flash it like you would any other rom. The install takes about 3 times as long as a regular rom flash. The phone will reboot itself one time between installing the roms. This is normal behavior. It will automatically start the second part of the install after the phone reboots itself. Once Dual Rom is done installing reboot your phone as normal. It will boot into the 2.1 Sense Rom. Do the normal setups. Once 2.1 is set up then you will want to open gscripts, hit menu/add script. On the add script page chose load file. A list will pop up with some available scripts. For 2.1 rom you will only need to add the BootToSd script. Choose that and save it. Now in gscripts you can choose the BootToSd and it will automatically reboot your phone into the 2.2 rom. You will only have to load the BootToSd script once. In the future you will just open gscripts and choose boottosd to switch roms.
After running the boottosd script in gscripts your phone will boot into the 2.2 rom. It will take a little longer then normal for this rom on it's first boot to load since it's on the sd card. When it loads go through the setup like a normal rom. You may have a few messages pop up about things being unresponsive. Do NOT force close these. Choose the wait option. This rom will be laggy when doing the initial setup and very laggy while reinstalling all your apps. Be patient during this part. 2.2 runs pretty good on sd once it's all loaded up. Give it a while to get going. I actually hit a quadrant score of 615 with 2.2 on sd. Once 2.2 is done with setup and all apps are redownloaded you can open gscript. Again choose menu/add script. From there choose load file. You will want to add the boottophone script and the mountsd and unmountsd scripts. I think you probably know what these scripts do. BootToPhone will boot back to the 2.1 rom. Use the mountsd and unmountsd scripts to mount your sd card if you are using windows. If using linux the normal mount sd procedures should work fine.
If for some reason you can not boot into one rom or another there will also be zip files on your card that you can flash from recovery that will boot the rom that you want. We attempted to make this process as simple and user friendly as possible.
2.1 Sense rom
- Based on Jcase's Sense 2.1 rom
- Simple solid base stock sense.
- Uses CFSv8 Kernel
- Wired and Wireless tether added
- This is Workshed's Froshedyo rom, you can get the solo version of it HERE.
- Built from cm source with some minor theme changes.
- Also uses CFSv8 Kernel
- Built using Conap's vendor tree
- Also has wireless and wired tether.
Neither roms should really have any major bugs. Unfortunatley there is no way currently to Nand Backup the rom on the sd card. We will work on a solution to that. Hope you all enjoy!!!
NOTE: If using clockwork you need to flash package2.zip after flashing dualrom
Please wipe data and dalvik before flashing.
- Moved both roms so that half of each rom is on phone and half is on sd card. The 2.2 rom system files are installed on the system partition of phone and uses the second partition of the sdcard as the data partition. The 2.1 rom now installs the system files on to the data partition of the phone and uses the 3rd partition of sdcard for data. This gives us many advantages including future no-wipe updates, quicker install, speed bonus for both roms, unlimited app space for either rom by making the data partitions of sdcard bigger so no apps2sd are needed, more stability from the roms.
- Removed some bloat apps from 2.1 rom such as amazonmp3 and some stock apps.
- updated the shedfroyo to v5 (ChangeLog Here)
- updated kernel to Decafuct CFSv8 with loop support, speed increases, better memory management, new "smartass" governor. (upgraded for both roms)
- Added some flashable zips that will be pushed to your sdcard during install that will allow you to wipe data or dalvik for either rom.(Please use the zips. Wipeing Data or Dalvik-cache the normal way in recovery will not remove the right files and will mess up and you will need to reinstall. Zips are named so you will know what they do.)
- Added new superuser
- Added Gscript lite to the 2.2 rom on sdcard
- Removed Gscript from 2.1 rom, gscript lite is still there
- Added correct bootanimation
Install as you would a normal rom. You can do the normal wipes in recovery then flash the rom zip from your sd card. Installation should not take near as long as it did for the last version. Your phone will still reboot once inbetween installing the 2 roms.
Here are zips to flash in recovery to wipe data or dalvik-cache for the sd rom. You can wipe the phone rom like you do a normal rom..
(These are already included in v1.2)
New superuser if anyone still needs it, included in v1.1 - SuperuserUpdate