Originally Posted by nathanielray
Also, while it did run on my Hero, it did start off slow and with a FC message, but I told it to wait. Obv because the Hero is not WVGA (at least I don't think it is) the display was cropped in very odd ways. I had about 1/2 of the Tackle command. Anyway.
Especially since you are using licensed images, Nintendo is going to tell you to stop. My suggestion? Keep trying to do what you're doing, but change the names and pictures. Draw stick figures if you have to. Rename Squirtle to Squortle or something. Call it Pokepon. Better though to change course now while you don't have much and you haven't been C&D'd yet.
Yeah you should take that advice.
1) Change the name to PockeMon
2) Keep the pokemons' names original (Squirtle, Bulbasaur etc) ... Nintendo cannot do anything about this
3) Change the pictures of every pokemon to fan made ones (obviously Nintendo cannot own fan made illustrations or intellectual property) and you can find heaps on the internet just Google for it.
4) Now that we've established this, also do not use anything Nintendo owns (you can find alternatives on the internet) ... with these modifications you wont get a C&D warning.
5) Food for thought; if this is all that your game is going to do it will be a let down. You can scrap the project OR go ahead with just these gameplay = dissapointment OR expand!
6) Expand to make your game an action-strategy Pockemon game!
Make it a 2.5D game based on an isometric view.
+The player controls the movement of the animal/monster with the Trackball/keyboard(GameGripper)
+The player has 4 available moves that are on-screen buttons
+1 button is to evade attacks; jump OR fly (birds) OR dig (certain pockemons like diglet)
+3 buttons are customizable for attacks (eg tackle, ember, sandattack)
+There is a stamina bar (instead of attack limits) and each attack costs differed stamina from your bar but your bar slowly increases when used
+Hitting the trackball/defined key pauses the arena and goes into your inventory where you can choose (Change Pet, Rations, Retreat match)
And what you have is a strategic game that forces you (action) to control your pet, which gives the game a totally different experience from Pokemon games (Red, Blue, Silver etc) but one that is also quite fun!
To illustrate what I mean have a look at this:
....now imagine that type of graphics (ie sprites) on an isometric-scroller view instead of side-scroller
eg/ like this but doesn't have to be fancy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssbty...eature=related
but more like this in a 2.5D sprite (so it would run smoothly on most devices) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzR9l...eature=related
Such an App would be sweet especially if you have a Nexus One (trackball), GameGripper device, or the HTC Dream (trackball and keys)
And if anyone is interested, such a Pockemon arena game could be expanded further
1) Let the each Action button glow depending if your pet has enough stamina for that move (hence why the evade/jump button will always be lit)
2) Allow an "arcade mode" where you battle enemies that constantly come unto your screen (eg like the SNES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle game)
3) Allow the player to win money (to buy new pets/rations from the PockeStore) and win experience points and show off your pet within the App
4) Allow a multiplayer mode where you battle against people that are online (your friend/strangers) via 3G/wifi
And expand further?
1) Now make this game into an RPG like the originals but using the isometric-view (eg like the PSX Digimon game) and add in all the elements from the original.
2) Include "Pockeballs" in the PockeStore
3) Include accessories in the PockeStore (ie armour, weapons, customisations etc)
And a way to "go beyond"
1) Open up the "Trading Post" where you can put your stuff/pets for sale... and conversely browse and buy stuff/pets from other members that made a listing.
2) Link the entire game to Facebook so that your achievements are loaded on your Wall, add your Friends, gift money/stuff/pets to other members, view your Friends pets and achievements (but not their stuff), Send "Challenges" where you define a time where you both must be online and battle (hard to explain in words)
3) Constantly increase the PockeWorld by adding new places to go/dominate, new Pets to catch and buy, new stuff to buy ... but still keeping everything simple
4) Never allow other players to be in the PockeWorld (ie all other MMORFs/RPG's like WoW). Keep it a fun (but long) Singleplayer game with a Multiplayer ability that is quite complimentary. So this would keep things less like other RPG's and more fun (compared to them) but also stupidly simple that anyone can play eg/ Granparent vs Granchild = fight!
... this would be like FarmVille for Android only better XD
And there is nothing to do beyond this