[MOD] Remove Bloatware apps.

Search This thread

WilliamStern

Mar 26, 2010
Miami, Fl.
Follow this link on how-to. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=829662

I can confirm that this mod works for the MyTouch 4G. I've tested it, and was able to remove some of my unwanted apps.

Yes, I can reboot my phone, and the apps will not appear again.

Please read the warning as you will no longer recieve OTA's once you do the MOD.

I am in no way responsible for any damage done to your phone.

HeavyComponent

Oct 31, 2007
NYC
Ok but my question wasn't answered. Let's say I don't restore the apps and I keep visionary with my phone rooted. Will I still get the OTA?

myTouch4G (Glacier)

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
How would this work with a full reboot (no fastboot)? No writes or deletes can be done on the system partition. Unless, Titanium is freezing the app, in which case the app wouldn't even appear in the app drawer. It's still there however. Have you checked with Root Explorer to determine whether they exist in /system/app after reboot (fastboot off)?

Last edited:

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
Ok but my question wasn't answered. Let's say I don't restore the apps and I keep visionary with my phone rooted. Will I still get the OTA?

myTouch4G (Glacier)

He said it blocks otas, you won't need them since that's the point of being rooted....You can get rooted otas from devs here, which is what xda has done for years.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

HeavyComponent

Oct 31, 2007
NYC
He said it blocks otas, you won't need them since that's the point of being rooted....You can get rooted otas from devs here, which is what xda has done for years.

He said "force removing" will block OTA. I'm talking about just "freezing" them. I understand being rooted will get rooted OTAs from the devs and that's faster then actually waiting.

WilliamStern

Mar 26, 2010
Miami, Fl.
How would this work with a full reboot (no fastboot)? No writes or deletes can be done on the system partition. Unless, Titanium is freezing the app, in which case the app wouldn't even appear in the app drawer. It's still there however. Have you checked with Root Explorer to determine whether they exist in /system/app after reboot (fastboot off)?

I removed VISIONary, Fastboot off, did a full reboot, checked /system/app and can tell you that I no longer have the apps tha have been removed in my phone.

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
OK, thanks for the reply. How does even make sense in light of the fact that any changes to /system are only reflected in the cache, and NOT to the system partition on NAND locked devices?

HeavyComponent

Oct 31, 2007
NYC
I have another question. After force removing the unwanted apps. Does the space that was being used by the apps return to the device?

myTouch4G (Glacier)

borodin1

Jan 3, 2009
Minneapolis MN

Perhaps you missed the point that both G2 and MT4G are both write-protected so the only chance of getting OTA for those handsets (at least for now) is official T-mo update.

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
I used Titanium to freeze some apps (hate faves popping up all the time). After doing a full reboot, they were still frozen. I could not find a few like Yahoo mail, which keeps on popping up.

It seem that available memory went up as a result - over 1gb rather then just under.

I think I will stay with this rather then forced removal through the terminal emulator.