FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[FIX] GPS Fix for Froyo firmwares based on JM9's Drivers

54 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By doronkdoron, Member on 7th November 2010, 12:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I heared a lot of opinions saying that the GPS on eclair JM9 is very good, near perfect. As you know, we can't say that on JPO, WJPA and all froyo versions.

So, It's just seems obvious to me to ask - why Samsung went back with the GPS performance?

And is it possible to create a fix for the GPS for Froyo, based on the firmware from JM9' so the performance of the GPS on Froyo will significantly improve?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have asked from PilotX to create this kind of fix for me. Thanks to him (post#9) for creating a flashable zip via ClockworkMod recovery with JM9's GPS files inside.

http://www.multiupload.com/C90PAO39WX

***Using this is at your own risk but in no way will you generate the same result as some did. Although people have been reporting on better GPS after applying this "fix", it's still your own decision to make. A backup is recommended, as allways.***

Tutorial
Download the file and put it in your sdcard.
Go to ClockworkMod recovery, choose "Install from sdcard" and browse to that zip file, then flash it.

After that, download an application called "SGS Tools" from the market.
Run SGS Tools. Browse to Secret Codes > GPS Test and Settings > Delete GPS data.
Then try out your GPS, don't panic, as the first fix takes a bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doronkdoron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift doronkdoron Ad-Free

7th November 2010, 12:12 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
opinions doesnt mean much unless they are backed up with some real data. you can browse the forum and find a lot of opinions about different gps fixes along the way.
few months have passed since first signs of trouble with gps, more then enough to find 100% fix.
7th November 2010, 12:13 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
My GPS Seems good enough when driving around with JPA...
7th November 2010, 12:32 PM |#4  
Flag TriState
Thanks Meter: 156

More
Please change the thread title, you making it sound like you have a GPS fix for Froyo. When you are really just asking questions and inquiring.
7th November 2010, 12:44 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsi2000

Please change the thread title, you making it sound like you have a GPS fix for Froyo. When you are really just asking questions and inquiring.

That's why I have used the question mark icon. Still, I will change it.

mike, As many people here, I inquire the GPS subject for a long time. The information about JM9 is based not only on XDA users, but on people that I trust, Who have tried many firmwares and tested the GPS tens of hours. I would have tried it myself, but It will be a big problem for me to go back to eclair.

Is it even possible to create such a fix for Froyo? (based on eclair)
8th November 2010, 11:09 AM |#6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Yep, based on my experience no other ROM has matched Eclair JM8, when it comes to Google Navigation accuracy. I'm on JPO and the voice directions go hay-wire "turn left in 30 yards" nope, wait, "carry on straight and cross the junction" and it constantly puts me on the opposite traffic flow. But I wouldn't flash back to JM8 just cos of reliable satnav since I'd miss so much of the Froyo goodness
8th November 2010, 11:13 AM |#7  
GPS navigation really depends on a lot of factors incuding hardware revision and physical location ( and probably luck )

I have 2 SGS's here and side by side the other one locks to 7 sats and its very accurate on a drive basis while the other one barely locks to 4 and takes over 5mins to even find 1.. both have the same firmware installed.
8th November 2010, 11:19 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 121

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlZ

GPS navigation really depends on a lot of factors incuding hardware revision and physical location ( and probably luck )

I have 2 SGS's here and side by side the other one locks to 7 sats and its very accurate on a drive basis while the other one barely locks to 4 and takes over 5mins to even find 1.. both have the same firmware installed.

gps.conf set to the right region?
8th November 2010, 01:09 PM |#9  
Flag Haifa
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I make for Doron the JM9 GPS update he asked.
You can try it yourself

I already mannaged to put it in my next rom and i think its the best Gps for now.

Pilotx
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilotxxx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pilotxxx Ad-Free
8th November 2010, 03:33 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
As pilotx said, he made the JM9 fix for me. I can also confirm the GPS have vastly improved on my device! Althogh It's not perfect, It's the best GPS I have seen on my device. Try installing it on FROYO.

Don't forget to clean the GPS data after installation! be patient, first time fix may take some time.
8th November 2010, 04:51 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

I make for Doron the JM9 GPS update he asked.
You can try it yourself

I already mannaged to put it in my next rom and i think its the best Gps for now.

Pilotx

How do we install this?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)