FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF] Working SD Cards List

62 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By emjee87, Member on 9th November 2010, 07:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

Currently, the Focus/WP7 in general is having some technical difficulties with external SD cards. Below is the list that users have confirmed compatible and incompatible. I will keep this updated until the issue is resolved, in hopes that new users find this list and make the correct purchases. Please post your results with brand name / storage capacity / class #. Also, please only post your results after installing the card using the prescribed methods from the Samsung Focus instructions or the Windows Phone 7 site. This includes formatting the card and then testing the stability with soft reset(s).

*Note* Some people are reporting that their cards will work for about a day, then proceed to make the phone go berserk, restart, and then return with the data cleared and only 15MB of available storage. If this happens to you after initially reporting a compatible card, please check back in with us! Use this list with caution, as the results are based on our short time with the device. Thanks

Confirmed Working(Data remains after soft reset):

Centon
Centon 8GB Class 6

Kingston
Kingston 4GB Class 4
Kingston 16GB Class 4

Microcenter
Microcenter 16GB Class 2

Patriot
Patriot 16GB Class 2

PNY
PNY 8GB Class 4
PNY 16GB Class 2

SanDisk
SanDisk 8GB Class 2
SanDisk 16GB Class 4

Currently Unstable/Unsure:
Kingston 8GB Class 4
Kingston 32GB Class 4
SanDisk 16GB Class 2
SanDisk 32GB Class 2

Confirmed Not Working(Data gone after soft reset):

A-Data
A-Data 4GB Class 6
A-Data 8GB Class 6
A-Data 16GB Class 6

Lexar
Lexar 16GB Class 6

Transcend
Transcend 8GB Class 6
Transcend 16GB Class 6

9th November 2010, 08:11 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I just got the regular 8 GB Sandisk MicroSD in the AT&T store and it works just fine. I used the reset option from within the phone's settings, not by holding down the phone's buttons.

So far, no issues. Memory was detected and allocated properly and my music has been synced and everything.
9th November 2010, 08:22 PM |#3  
Flag Jackson, TN
Thanks Meter: 3

More
So far I can gather the cards that are not correctly working, as in you can get them to recognize and sync initially but once you power down the phone and bring it back up everything is gone and the phone only reads "15mb" of storage space. Only way to get it working correctly again is a full hard reset / format.

Transcend - Works but has the listed issue above (I have a 8gb class 6, back to amazon it goes)
A-Data - Works but has the listed issue above
Kingston - Works but has the listed issue above
SanDisk - Works 100% reboots and all no issues (friend has a 32gb class 2, no issues at all!)

Hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMarkness For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheMarkness Ad-Free
9th November 2010, 08:22 PM |#4  
Flag Eau Claire, WI
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Using a SanDisk 16 GB class 6 (whatever that's worth) that I bought back in May or June this year. Popped it in and ran the format utility via hard reset (vol down + camera + power) which formatted the device.

Have 22 GB or so of total space with about 12 GB in use via mostly music, with a few apps and games, and a handful of my favorite photos. The phone appears to be running just fine. I've soft reset twice ('goodbye' via power button) and haven't had any data loss / configuration issues at all.
9th November 2010, 08:32 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Schaumburg

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius

I just got the regular 8 GB Sandisk MicroSD in the AT&T store and it works just fine. I used the reset option from within the phone's settings, not by holding down the phone's buttons.

So far, no issues. Memory was detected and allocated properly and my music has been synced and everything.

So you have performed a soft reset and your data remained intact? Also, if possible, can you post what Class (2-10) you are using? As stated by MS, the class isn't so much of the issue as other factors, but just for reference's sake. Thanks!
9th November 2010, 08:35 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Schaumburg

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkness

So far I can gather the cards that are not correctly working, as in you can get them to recognize and sync initially but once you power down the phone and bring it back up everything is gone and the phone only reads "15mb" of storage space. Only way to get it working correctly again is a full hard reset / format.

Transcend - Works but has the listed issue above (I have a 8gb class 6, back to amazon it goes)
A-Data - Works but has the listed issue above
Kingston - Works but has the listed issue above
SanDisk - Works 100% reboots and all no issues (friend has a 32gb class 2, no issues at all!)

Hope that helps

For the brands that you listed as working, but with the issue listed above, I'm hesitant to post those as not working as it may only be for certain sizes or speeds with that given brand, and I don't want to cause panic for anyone who may have purchased that particular brand but has a working configuration. I will post the 32gb class 2 sandisk model and 8gb class 6 transcend, but if you can provide any specific configurations (size/class) for the brands you listed, that would be helpful. Thanks for your input
9th November 2010, 08:52 PM |#7  

More
AT&T rep had me walk through the setup at the store when I bought it. I didn't have the microsd card with me so I installed it when I got home (Kingston 16 GB Class 4). After powering on the phone it didn't see the card. I completed a reset and after that it worked. I thought it has been said the cards wont be seen if it was inserted after the first setup because of the way it sets up the storage as one virtual disk from the first setup......

wmpoweruser.com/expandable-storage-confirmed-in-windows-phone-7-required-a-hard-reset/

windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/10/12/windows-phone-7-and-removable-storage/
9th November 2010, 09:04 PM |#8  

More
Here is a good article on it from Paul Thurrott:
windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/11/06/samsung-focus-microsd/
9th November 2010, 09:16 PM |#9  

More
Samsung said this in their press release Nov 4th:
- Memory:
- 8GB internal storage memory
- External microSD™ memory card slot up to 32 GB (class 2 (or higher) microSD card, card sold separately)
http://www.samsungusanews.com/2010/1...on-november-8/
9th November 2010, 09:32 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Schaumburg

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwiley2566

Samsung said this in their press release Nov 4th:
- Memory:
- 8GB internal storage memory
- External microSD™ memory card slot up to 32 GB (class 2 (or higher) microSD card, card sold separately)
http://www.samsungusanews.com/2010/1...on-november-8/

The reason I thought it might be useful to put this list together is many people are reported that despite meeting those requirements, there are certain cards that simply don't work. According to Microsoft's own website, simple matching the class requirement won't necessarily mean your card works, as there are other factors not listed that factor in to it. If it gets cleared up in the next few days with an OTA patch, then this thread will be moot but for all the early adopters who are trying to get an SD card in this phone before that, this list might prove useful
9th November 2010, 09:36 PM |#11  

More
Oh I understand and agree. I more or less thought it was interesting that Samsung said that a class 2 would work.
Also this was posted in another thread. Too bad there are currently 3 or 4 threads on this issue. Microsoft has a KB on this now:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2450831
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)