FORUMS

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the development of the XDA-Marketplace continued?

Yes

605 Vote(s)
99.02%
No

6 Vote(s)
0.98%

[INACTIVE] Live on XDA-Marketplace! [DEVS PLEASE SUPPORT]

674 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By Cyclonezephyrxz7, Senior Member on 11th November 2010, 11:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey everyone,

Some of you may know me from some of the programs I have made, to others I may be a whole new name. In any case, I am CycloneZephyrxz7, a developer and co-founder to Chicken-Egg Solutions. My friend and I conceived the idea: "People want programs, but can't code ... We can code, but can't think of ideas ... Lets mix it up!" and then came our project "Chicken-Egg Solutions"

Currently, we are employed in making a website for an up-and-coming Musician, and have a few more sites on the negotiating table.

BUT I AM SORRY ... this post is NOT ADVERTISING, I am just giving a little background.

Take the top like a Resume of sorts, to see if you all are in support of this idea of Continuing the XDA-Marketplace.

I spoke with my friend (the web-development expert of the two of us) to see if he would be up to making this, and taking on the now cancelled project. He said "If people are interested, then sure". So Please Please vote in the Poll and tell me if you would like to see this project resurrected! He and I are very devoted, and if we were to take on the project, we would sure be able to pump out results and updates [he being the web-developer, and I being the mobile and PC developer]

So yeah, if the polls turn out good, then we will have a new project, and XDA will have an organized application/hack/improvement repository!

After a long conversation, and reviewing some basic ideas of how we would attack such a project, my friend and I agreed:

We Will Ressurect the XDA-Marketplace and Make it Our Project!

We are going to start working on the website in the coming week. This is the plan of action we have decided to take:

Step 1: Conceptualization
In this stage of the creation of the new XDA-Marketplace, my friend and I will draw up designs for a functional, simple, yet feature-rich website. We will consider everything from ease of coding, to ease of use, to organization in the future. Our goal at this point is to generate the idea of a 'perfect' website that will accommodate all the needs we for-see the Marketplace needing the in Future

Step 2: Images ► Code
At this point, we will move on to taking our concept ideas, and making the code that will make them work. This process will take by far the longest time, but it will also be when the website goes live. During this stage, it will be accessible to the public [or maybe a private group of testers?] We will often update the code, expand on features, and finalize the website. It is here that Bug Reports are crucial, as we don't want to end up fixing one component that breaks everything else.

Step 3: Advertisement and Rallying
I know that advertising is generally against Forum rules, but the point of this advertising will be to make the XDA-Marketplace more popular. The more popular it is, the more applications that are submitted to the website, the more users can get. We will probably go about this by contacting developers on the website, and across the web, asking them to join and submit their applications. Of course, applications my friend and I make will go on the website [no more special than anybody elses :P] This stage will continue on indefinitely, but we will proceed to Step 4 after we gain a little bit of attention.

Step 4: Portability
It is here, once the website has gathered a bit of popularity, that I will work on making the Mobile Application(s) that will allow even more Ease of Use for end-users. This will not simply be a browser that loads a website, no. It will connect to the internet and download the corresponding data, and parse it on the phone itself, to keep the speed of the website at its maximum.
Step 5: Additional Features
It is here that we mainly visualize making an API. This API will serve the purpose of allowing other developers to make client applications that can access the XDA-Marketplace via a Phone [and Maybe a PC]. The main API feature we will make sure to implement is a Version checker. Going along with what I had mentioned about making the site Update-Friendly, this API method would allow programs to be able to remind users [with consent for data usage] that there is an Urgent/Suggested/Minor/Beta/Alpha/etc. Update available. We may possibly expand this to include donations linked to the XDA-Marketplace, and other features we put on the website itself.
Step 6: Improvement and Development
Now the wheels of production will slow down immensely. Here we will concentrate on what can become of the Marketplace, now that we have made it into a large entity. We will have a suggestion form allowing users to give us ideas towards improvement.
As you can see, there is a lot to be done with this Marketplace, and my friend and I prefer to start from scratch. We own a portion of server and a set amount of Bandwidth, along with a domain ... however, if this is to benefit the whole XDA community, what we have will not cut it. Until the website goes live and public, it will be hosted on our website in an area restricted to Privileged users only [to conserve bandwidth]. Eventually, however, we will need to upgrade to Unlimited space and Bandwidth to accomodate for new files, new users, and common visitors. We will also probably want to buy a Domain Name in order to make it easier for people to access the MarketPlace (instead of going to Marketplace.Chicken-eggsolutions.com ... Imagine typing that every time!). My friend and I agreed, that while we are doing this to assist the community, promote development, and promote Windows Mobile and Android, we will simply not be able to keep this alive very long without monetary support from you all. At this moment we are not asking for donations, rather commitments to donations in the future. We would like to know that as we make this, people will support us with the fees of running such a website. So if you could please be so generous as to contribute to the future of the XDA-Marketplace, we would appreciate it greatly. We can also promise you that all donations and commitments will go towards the XDA-Marketplace, and nothing else. Please either Post here, or PM me to place commitments, and your name will be listed on the thread to show everyone that YOU SUPPORT THE FUTURE OF THE XDA-MARKETPLACE
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cyclonezephyrxz7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cyclonezephyrxz7 Ad-Free
15th November 2010, 12:02 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
I Proudly Present: Our Supporters!
Thank You to the following XDA-Users who have or will be contributing to the XDA-Marketplace Cause

Tribulattifather
Cajunflavoredbob
ashasaur
Kliptik
True2You
leba837
Byrdman164 (20$)
Firedog7881 (Domain)

Show Your Support! Place a Banner in Your Signature!

Be One of the Supporters of the XDA-Marketplace:
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclonezephyrxz7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cyclonezephyrxz7 Ad-Free
17th November 2010, 02:58 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
╠▒╣New╬York╠▒╣
Thanks Meter: 1,836

Donate to Me
More
I think that this is an excellent idea. Thanks for working on something like this.
17th November 2010, 04:25 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
nice good idea would be nice to see it actually go off the ground ;D
17th November 2010, 06:48 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Please don't let this die!
17th November 2010, 08:09 AM |#6  
LeSScro has lot of idea but not capability to code programs...
then i say YES... we Can ! or you can...

Lot of project can be started and make some interestings things...
17th November 2010, 09:09 AM |#7  
Flag Mannheim
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I am a developer and I do have a lot of ideas. But working in free time cuts the effort I can put into projects and we do have more requesters than coders!

Also what is an issue is, that we diffuse the market with this. There is a good place to put applications and get feedback, called Omarket (I guess you all know that). Providing just more and more sources will kill WinMo instead of helping it for the future!

There are more then 5k apps in the Omarket already. (not all of really high quality). I think XDA should ban more of the bullshit posts in app / dev forums and move the chatters to the boards, dedicated to chatting...

If you think I am wrong, please tell me!
17th November 2010, 06:10 PM |#8  
Madison, OH
Thanks Meter: 229

More
im down for this
18th November 2010, 01:02 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandi

I am a developer and I do have a lot of ideas. But working in free time cuts the effort I can put into projects and we do have more requesters than coders!

Also what is an issue is, that we diffuse the market with this. There is a good place to put applications and get feedback, called Omarket (I guess you all know that). Providing just more and more sources will kill WinMo instead of helping it for the future!

There are more then 5k apps in the Omarket already. (not all of really high quality). I think XDA should ban more of the bullshit posts in app / dev forums and move the chatters to the boards, dedicated to chatting...

If you think I am wrong, please tell me!

I know what OMarket is and everything, heck I had my Fake Fingerprint LockScreen application on there...but the whole thing just seemed to Haphazardly put together. One day, they literally just deleted my app from their website, and it took me days just to get in contact with them. I asked them to put it back up, and they never did. I decided not to put in the effort again, especially since it was rather difficult to make a good-looking description area [no easy preview ... had to re-load every time].

I don't actually believe that adding another Market will bring down WinMo ... if anything it will help it out. The thing with OMarket, as large as it is, is that it has a bunch of OLD random applications, making it hard to navigate correctly. Also, I don't find many XDA apps on there [or I can't find them because they are hidden amongst all the old stuff].

I am in no way trying to tear down OMarket ... it is great, I have to admit. I have used it myself. I just feel, as a developer myself, that much more can be done with a market ... and I am offering this opportunity to the XDA Community
18th November 2010, 01:26 AM |#10  
Inactive Recognized Developer
╠▒╣New╬York╠▒╣
Thanks Meter: 1,836

Donate to Me
More
I think that if this program is created it needs to be apps created by XDA Devs.

Maybe having a system where the XDA login is the same login name for this market..

I am also apart of a PSP community that has a homebrew app called 'MHU Free Store' where user can download apps/games/themes/portals/CFW.

So also, maybe, if we make the market apps/games/themes etc.. but from only XDA devs this can be really something that is an excellent idea.
18th November 2010, 02:51 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
I am sorry if that was not implied by the name of the app. But yes, this market would concentrate mainly on applications featured on XDA Forums. And that is a great idea! If/When I get this started with my friend, I will be sure to see if I can work something out with XDA to get logon's to be the same. I'll contact the Admin when the time arises.

Let me clarify:

If/When my friend and I take on this project we are going to be aiming for the following end product:

•Easy to navigate [via a Mobile app, Mobile/PC Page, and PC app]
•Organized in a way that is friendly to Version Upgrades, and doesn't hid apps with potential beneath heaps of amateur applications
• Accommodations for Donation Buttons [Since I understand that aspect ]
•[As suggested by Tribulattifather] Log-on in sync with XDA Forums [Will need to work with Admin on that matter]
•We will go to the Devs, if need be, to get all the apps centralized on one website.
•Easy of Use, Simplicity, and Convenience

A major thing I want to ensure: The CAB file should be available upon download [unlike with Windows Marketplace ... I believe?]

I would like to think right now that the end result would be great, I just need the support and Ideas [support - to convince my friend to take on this project, Ideas - to make the site YOUR site, the best it can be!] I am pretty sure he is going to say yes though ... I have been pushing him.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
marketplace, mobile, replacement, web, xda

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)