FORUMS

View Poll Results: What network will you use your Droid 2 Global with?

AT&T

74 Vote(s)
51.39%
Verizon

36 Vote(s)
25.00%
Telus

2 Vote(s)
1.39%
T-Mobile

30 Vote(s)
20.83%
Telstra

2 Vote(s)
1.39%

“Answered but not Perfected” Getting the Droid 2 Global to work on USA GSM

71 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By swangotp, Member on 13th November 2010, 04:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I was at at&t and we where unable to activate the phone even though the phone is capable. At&t said everything was good on there end but the phone just wont get a signal but it says it is on at&t.
Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?
13th November 2010, 05:04 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Have u unlocked the sim slot on the phone?
13th November 2010, 06:58 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swangotp

I was at at&t and we where unable to activate the phone even though the phone is capable. At&t said everything was good on there end but the phone just wont get a signal but it says it is on at&t.
Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

Quite a few people (including myself) on various boards have acknowledged having this problem as well. I got the SIM unlock code from Verizon but when I do a GSM network scan, nothing is detected. I know it has been escalated above level 2 support at Motorola and hopefully they will address it shortly. Here's another thread about it over on droidforums: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...reign-sim.html
13th November 2010, 06:30 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh

Donate to Me
More
Yes, I have unlocked the phone from the code verizon gave me.
13th November 2010, 06:31 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh

Donate to Me
More
I hope its a fixable problem. But I noticed when I use an active tmob sim the phone doesnt even say tmobile. But when I use an at&t sim it atleasts says at&t.
13th November 2010, 10:54 PM |#6  

More
I'm very interested (as I'm sure many others are) in a resolution to this. OP did you call VZW global support and let them know you're having this problem? Hopefully the more they hear about it, the faster they'll have a fix
13th November 2010, 11:17 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1

I'm very interested (as I'm sure many others are) in a resolution to this. OP did you call VZW global support and let them know you're having this problem? Hopefully the more they hear about it, the faster they'll have a fix

They where no help at all they said it was for foreign sim cards only and that at&t and tmobile where not supported. But they did say verizon was better than both of them combined.
15th November 2010, 06:56 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
If you feel like experimenting try this:
Go to dialpad, and enter *#*#4636#*#*

Click on Phone Information, and then scroll down to bottom. Set preferred network type from "CDMA auto(PRL)" to "WCDMA preferred" and see if that kicks it on ATT.
15th November 2010, 03:53 PM |#9  

More
I'm 99.9% sure after looking through the user guide that VZW has restricted use of the 850/1900 MHz GSM/UMTS bands, even though the device has the hardware to support them. Most foreign networks use 900/1800 GSM and 2100 UMTS but AT&T/T-Mobile use 850/1900, which is why no one has had any success with them yet.

Hopefully someone can figure out a workaround.

EDIT: Just a US GSM restriction...looks like 850/1900 work abroad: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...mpression.html
15th November 2010, 05:37 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFan

If you feel like experimenting try this:
Go to dialpad, and enter *#*#4636#*#*

Click on Phone Information, and then scroll down to bottom. Set preferred network type from "CDMA auto(PRL)" to "WCDMA preferred" and see if that kicks it on ATT.

These where the results I got, so clearly it is getting seeing the network. Just not connecting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 15, 11 35 09 AM.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	441673  
15th November 2010, 06:11 PM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh

Donate to Me
More
Just got off the phone with Motorola and they said the droid 2 global was only for verizon sim cards and when I told them about the unlock code the guy didn't know what they where for. So another dead end. Another theory I have is that the stock verizon rom is blocking at&t so maybe if someone can flash another rom we can see if this is the problem.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)