FORUMS

[Q] ASTRO File Manger SFTP transfers slow!

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By perquisitor_omnia, Member on 13th November 2010, 06:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Weird problem:
When I try to copy files from my computer to my phone using ASTRO File manger and SFTP the transfer is really slow, it takes about a minute a MB (ASTRO oh so helpfully doesn't tell you KB/s). All of this is over WiFi.

When I use ASTRO bluetooth to transfer files from my computer its really slow.

But when I direct download the file using the browser from my home server, it downloads as fast as I'd expect over WiFi and so is mounting the SD card or using adb push.

I have this problem on both my G1 and my G2 so I don't think its a phone issue. If it matters, both phones are rooted. I can't think that there is that much overhead with SFTP that it would be a problem.
19th January 2011, 08:25 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by perquisitor_omnia

Weird problem:
When I try to copy files from my computer to my phone using ASTRO File manger and SFTP the transfer is really slow, it takes about a minute a MB (ASTRO oh so helpfully doesn't tell you KB/s). All of this is over WiFi.

When I use ASTRO bluetooth to transfer files from my computer its really slow.

But when I direct download the file using the browser from my home server, it downloads as fast as I'd expect over WiFi and so is mounting the SD card or using adb push.

I have this problem on both my G1 and my G2 so I don't think its a phone issue. If it matters, both phones are rooted. I can't think that there is that much overhead with SFTP that it would be a problem.

Same on my Galaxy Tab.
I did test with a command line sftp: 26K/s
24th January 2011, 06:15 PM |#3  

More
I see this as well, Droid 2. Transfers at around 80KB/s. AndFTP does about 60KB/s. But if I mount the SD card on a laptop, and use the laptop to download to the SD card, also over wifi using sftp, then it will get over 2MB/s.

What's the problem? Is this a general platform issue?
2nd February 2011, 02:35 AM |#4  

More
Same on my HTC Wildfire. Using SFTP or SCP in both Astro and AndFTP results in ridiculously slow transfers over wi-fi of under 20 kB/s - which could easily be beaten by bluetooth, I think.

However if I go to the command line on my phone (via Terminal or ConnectBot using a "local" session) and use the built-in scp (which is in the PATH, in CM7 at least),

Code:
scp [email protected]:Desktop/cm_buzz_full-34.zip /sdcard
I get an average speed of 550 kB/s, which is closer to what I'd have expected.

That leads me to think that either Astro and AndFTP are not using the built-in scp but some other (inefficient) implementation, or that they are limiting the transfer speeds in the free versions of their applications..
25th February 2011, 09:08 AM |#5  

More

I was just testing this method of file transfer right now and Cerberus FTP server is reporting the transfer speed mainly sticking to an unusually constant speed of exactly 47.96 KB/s. Occasionally it spikes or drops to precisely 63.95 KB/s or 31.97 KB/s for just a second and then returns to 47.96 KB/s.

I haven't used Cerberus' SFTP server before, so I don't know if it typically displays this weird speed 'banding' issue where it reports only a few specific speeds and never the intermediates.

The connection just timed out about 17 mins in, after transferring only 47.74 MiB of a 1.09 GiB file. I calc the average speed to be somewhere between 45.23 and 50.87 KiB/s.

I am using my Epic 4G w/ the recent official EB13 Froyo update over an 802.11n wifi connection just 1-3 ft away from the router. Unfortunately, I'm not rooted, so no chance of using scp for me :|
25th February 2011, 10:02 AM |#6  

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by perquisitor_omnia

What do you mean by "direct download the file using the browser from my home server"? You hosted the file via an HTTP server on your home computer and downloaded it over wifi via the integrated Android web-browser on your phone?

If so, I will try this out tomorrow!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
astro file manager, slow transfers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)