FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] WiFi problem: stuck on "getting IP address"

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By susu42, Junior Member on 14th November 2010, 09:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have had my Tab for 2 weeks now.
At home I had no problem to connect to my WiFi network for 1 week: then suddenly the Tab would not connect and would remain stuck on “getting IP address…”.
I changed from WPA to WEP to WPA2 PSK with no luck
But if I go to a static IP, then I have no problem to connect.
On my office “public” WiFi network, exactly the same problem: it worked for a week and then bingo stuck on “getting IP address…”. Again going to static IP solved the connection problem.
My question is: how do you delete a network from the list? It seems to me that the Tab keeps an IP address in memory and if ever that address is taken by another device, it gets stuck!
Any advice would be appreciated.
16th November 2010, 09:54 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
I had this exact same issue on the same day I bought my Sprint Galaxy Tab (11/14). I did a hard reset that afternoon, and I haven't experienced the issue since. I'd already had all of my apps downloaded, and settings tweaked, so hard resetting was kind of annoying. I hope this doesn't come up again.
16th November 2010, 11:10 AM |#3  
Flag oslo
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Yep sounds familiar, my Thomson Speedtouch 780i runs on a old firmware which gives me same issue with the Tab, had to run with no security. If you decide to run with no security turn off broadcasting..or update firmware/router..
16th November 2010, 04:12 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
My router is quite recent and has the latest firmware.
All my toys (iPad, Dell Streak, HD2 together with 3 PCs) connect without any problem.

The Tab had no problem either for a week.
Then for unknown reason no way to connect unless using a static IP.

And as I have not found a way to delete the network in memory (short of doing a hard reset)I am stuck.

And now same problem arises with office netxork:(
16th November 2010, 06:09 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Yeah just do a factory reset in privacy settings i think
17th November 2010, 01:10 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by susu42

My router is quite recent and has the latest firmware.
All my toys (iPad, Dell Streak, HD2 together with 3 PCs) connect without any problem.

The Tab had no problem either for a week.
Then for unknown reason no way to connect unless using a static IP.

And as I have not found a way to delete the network in memory (short of doing a hard reset)I am stuck.

And now same problem arises with office netxork:(

My Tab is doing the same thing now. I can't do a hard reset....is there another solution?
19th November 2010, 05:41 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Ugh, I have the same issue! Had it for 2 days and all of the sudden it's stuck on Getting IP address from... Resetting to factory defaults was depressing. I wish there was another way!
21st November 2010, 01:02 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
It also happened to me when I was on vacation at my relatives home. The tab would work for a day or two and then be stuck at that message. I had no issues with doing a factory reset as it was still new. But then I started using the static IP trick and that worked. Now I'm back at home and I don't have this issue at all. Been using it for a week with my wifi and all is well.

Nothing was actually working: restarting the router, forgetting the network, creating the network manually, changing the authentication method, etc.

I'm sure its was an issue with the router at my relatives home, but still why was my Nexus one and Laptop connecting with no problem???

For those who are having the problem, use a static IP for the time being, you don't have to reset.

-Gus
21st November 2010, 01:43 AM |#9  
Flag Mulberry
Thanks Meter: 272

More
I ended up switching to Channel 1 on the router at home, and haven't had any problems since. Chose Channel 1 after running WiFi Analyzer.
23rd November 2010, 04:56 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
having this same problem. I've messed with WEP vis WPA and tried static IP. Using a verizon fios router. any help?
23rd November 2010, 09:29 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Bah, it happened again! Now I really dont want to reset
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
wifi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)