FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Unlock SD Card

444 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By songokussm, Senior Member on 15th November 2010, 08:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
i used an adata 8gb class 6 sdcard in my focus.
when i take it out. nothing can recognize it. when i put it into my memory reader and use disk part to clear it and repartition it, the computer says no media is inserted, when it is.

i can take it out and put it back in the focus, and it works just fine. I can put in another focus and it says its the wrong sdcard for this phone.

so the sdcard works, i just need to change its format back to normal. how is that possible when windows and 3 different card readers can not detect it?

Edit: i also tried doing a windows 7 format and when the phone reset i pulled out the sdcard while the phone was off. no go.

15th November 2010, 08:34 AM |#2  
Flag Long Beach, CA
Thanks Meter: 116

Donate to Me
More
Cant you just mount it on your card reader, then hit the Start Orb on Windows 7 then right click on Computer, choose "Manage" then choose the card and delete the partition, then you should be able to format it correctly under windows 7.
15th November 2010, 08:39 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialtoon

Cant you just mount it on your card reader, then hit the Start Orb on Windows 7 then right click on Computer, choose "Manage" then choose the card and delete the partition, then you should be able to format it correctly under windows 7.

I can't. the card is not detected, as stated above. windows 7 says, no media. the sdcard is 'locked'.

according to this you use the phone to unlock the card. ive tried it and it does nothing.
15th November 2010, 08:42 AM |#4  
Flag Long Beach, CA
Thanks Meter: 116

Donate to Me
More
Even using the method i told you it doesnt show up at all? Wow, thats really hardcore then.
15th November 2010, 08:54 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
according to this website. the phone locks the sdcard and encrypts them, so nothing else but a windows phone 7 can understand it.

however, i am currently unable to unlock it.
15th November 2010, 09:04 AM |#6  
NY
Thanks Meter: 17

More
I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but the sd card is now a part of the phone...there's some threads going around about this. WP7, for speed and security will assimilate the SD card into the filesystem so instead of two partitions you have one continuous unit. much like raid 0 (data stripping)

Sorry bud, there isn't a way to undo this yet...eventually there will be.
15th November 2010, 09:25 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by V DidDy 210

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but the sd card is now a part of the phone...there's some threads going around about this. WP7, for speed and security will assimilate the SD card into the filesystem so instead of two partitions you have one continuous unit. much like raid 0 (data stripping)

Sorry bud, there isn't a way to undo this yet...eventually there will be.

seems to be true. even using the suggested methods in the linked websites i posted, do not work.
15th November 2010, 01:07 PM |#8  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Symbian is your answer
So I was in the same boat you are in. Nothing could read the card except for my Nokia n97 mini. It recognized the card as "locked" and prompted for a password. I bypassed the prompt and went to the file manager. From there it let me format the card and it is back to normal. See, Symbian is good for something after all!

PS: I tried the same process with an E71 and had the same successful results. All recent Symbian phones should work as it appears they can handle the encryption and password. The card is now happily back in my HTC EVO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RotoRooter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RotoRooter Ad-Free
15th November 2010, 01:52 PM |#9  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag No Android Fanboys Please !!!
Thanks Meter: 2,282

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoRooter

So I was in the same boat you are in. Nothing could read the card except for my Nokia n97 mini. It recognized the card as "locked" and prompted for a password. I bypassed the prompt and went to the file manager. From there it let me format the card and it is back to normal. See, Symbian is good for something after all!

PS: I tried the same process with an E71 and had the same successful results. All recent Symbian phones should work as it appears they can handle the encryption and password. The card is now happily back in my HTC EVO.

WOW , good find

I just spread the word and post it on the wp7 general .
15th November 2010, 02:59 PM |#10  
Flag OH-IO
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Another user reported being able to reformat these post WP7 Micro SD cards in his Windows Mobile 6.5 handset.

Can anyone try this and confirm?
15th November 2010, 05:38 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seed 2.0

Another user reported being able to reformat these post WP7 Micro SD cards in his Windows Mobile 6.5 handset.

Can anyone try this and confirm?

my hd2 can not.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)