Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOWTO] *Layman's iGo Jig* [Solderless]

488 posts
Thanks Meter: 186

By Xstop, Senior Member on 16th November 2010, 07:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
"Layman's iGo Jig" (Solderless)

RadioShack

Subtract $.99, Bought the 1/2 watt resistor, which I did not need.

But YOU will NEED these:

And

Those two items is all you need to make this work, no soldering iron.

Now the reason I purchased the iGo adapter is cause of this guy here: As you can see, there is 6 pins on this thing.
Micro-USB has 5 pin connections. On a hunch, I was hoping all 5 pins were some how connected to the to the 6 pin adapter, so we didn't have to try and solder the resistor to pin 4, usually hidden in most setups.

Now the most difficult part of this whole process, was trying to get the micro-usb apart, which wasn't that hard at all.
Just take your time. I used a razor, scissors, and my teeth, lol. This is one part I didn't take pics, sorry. But try and "skin" (sort of like peeling) the black piece off.
Once that is off, you'll see a white plastic piece also around it, "skin" that one off too.
Once the white plastic piece is off.
The micro-usb connector and the 6 pin board is held together with a silicone compound that is bonded to the wires.
SLOWLY start picking the silicone compound away. It's really not that hard, just takes time.
Once that is done you should have some thing like this:

Now take your resistors and connect them in series: These are again, 100k resistor x 3. Should look like:

Now let's take a close up of the micro-usb connector. I don't know exactly which is which but I do know that both are pin 4 and 5!

Look at how long they are...that's what makes them special. Pin 4 is not hidden!

Since you got this far now just stick that bad boy in (please make sure the phone is turned off).
I should of cleaned up the wires but I was sort of in a rush:
VERY IMPORTANT: Don't let the other wires touch the connectors to the usb!

That image is with the screen facing me.

Now put in your battery, and take your resistors that you made and connect one end to pin 4 and the other to pin 5, not necessarily in that order.
Make sure you hold the resistors to the pin for at least 3 sec.

Viola!!! DOWNLOAD MODE!!

This was a quick fix for a jig that I needed to get MY phone working without soldering iron, and it worked. The hardest thing so far that I read about making a jig is getting to pin 4 that is usually not being used and hidden. At least this way it's easier to access.
I will end up buying another one and re-making my iGo jig to a more sturdier standard.

By all means, I am not a expertise in this field. I just been reading alot of threads and learn as I go.
So I am sure anyone can make this jig to revive their bricked phone. Trust me, if I can make it, so can you.

*edit: But if you have the chance, please pick up the 1k resistor also (not shown).
100k x3 and 1k resistor, this is the exact recommended ohms to make this work. 301k > It's the right way.

*I do recommend for those that have successfully done this, to (learn) solder the end pieces together. Pin 4 and 5 are long enough so it shouldn't really be that hard.
You won't have the tedious task of trying to manually connecting the two ends every time you want to go into download mode.
Plus I believe basic soldering skill is a must if you like tweaking or a hobbyist of electronic components.*

All the images were take after I was able to get it in download mode. Was not really thinking about doing this write-up, until after the last picture.
Hoping it may help the community one way or the other, and save some $$$
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Xstop For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Xstop Ad-Free

16th November 2010, 08:03 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
although a sloppy first attempt....this is GREAT knowing that there is an option out there. Thanks for doing the dirty work and purposely bricking your phone to help everyone else. Takes more guts than i have
16th November 2010, 03:19 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Great thread. Thanks for doing this kind of thing for the community. I already felt comfortable that Odin could save me a lot of trouble, but now I feel like I can go completely nuts and not half to worry.
The Following User Says Thank You to nybmx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nybmx Ad-Free
16th November 2010, 06:40 PM |#4  
Flag Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 36

More
So I thought you had to get into Download mode WHILE the phone is plugged into your computer and ODIN is running.

If I understand right, you can use this jig to get into download mode, unplug the jig, and then hook up your phone to a computer and run ODIN?
17th November 2010, 12:43 AM |#5  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal einstein

So I thought you had to get into Download mode WHILE the phone is plugged into your computer and ODIN is running.

If I understand right, you can use this jig to get into download mode, unplug the jig, and then hook up your phone to a computer and run ODIN?

My thoughts also? What do I do after connecting pins 4 and 5 with the resistors?

(Haven't bricked it ... yet! :D )
17th November 2010, 01:54 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 915

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstop

For anyone else needing a usb cable, i suggest ebay.
17th November 2010, 02:38 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Turn around...

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal einstein

Yes, you are correct. When using the jig, your phone will not be connected to anything, except the jig itself. But before using it, you should take out your battery, SIM, and SD (if you have one).

Plug the jig in > put in the battery > connect with resistor for 2 to 3 sec.
Once the screen is in "Download Mode" > pull jig > open Odin3 on computer > plug in usb to phone > then run Odin3 > done.
17th November 2010, 02:59 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Turn around...

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachpuff

For anyone else needing a usb cable, i suggest ebay.

Yes I do advise to get it cheaper if you can.

But this is what I had to do to get it up and running that same night, just wasn't that important to me to save $10 for something that will get to me in a week. And I'm sure if you were in the same situation, you would of done the same thing to get your phone up and running.

But THANKS! I needed that link.
17th November 2010, 09:02 PM |#9  
Flag Akron, OH
Thanks Meter: 10

More
9.3% SALES TAX!!! FFFUUUUU that sucks.
17th November 2010, 09:08 PM |#10  
Flag Candyland
Thanks Meter: 174

More
9.3% isn't bad.. it's 9.75% here :T ..

and to sum up this article!
you don't really need to solder anything as long as you just rip the usb apart so the wires don't touch when you make your jig!
17th November 2010, 10:33 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
pretty legit mod, imma try and clean this up a bit and see if i can do a better looking job (no offense on ur job though!)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)