FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] SetCPU governors (explained)

77 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By RJackson, Member on 17th November 2010, 11:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
The SetCPU website explains some governors: http://www.pokedev.com/setcpu/#7

However it seems that some extra governors, not covered by the SetCPU site, have been added to some kernels; which I think should be documented so users know which one to pick.

I will add responses as to what each governor does to this post. If there are any governors not explained that you've come across, please post and we'll see if somebody can explain it.

Unexplained governors (somebody please tell me what they do)
  • smartass (Best explanation i've found paraphrases to: based on interactive, but better.)

----
ondemand
Available in most kernels, and the default governor in most kernels. When the CPU load reaches a certain point (see "up threshold" in Advanced Settings), ondemand will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed. - SetCPU website

conservative
Available in some kernels. It is similar to the ondemand governor, but will scale the CPU up more gradually to better fit demand. Conservative provides a less responsive experience than ondemand, but can save battery. - SetCPU website

performance
Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "max" set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting "max" and "min" to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for the CPU load. This governor is recommended for stable benchmarking. - SetCPU website

powersave
Available in some kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "min" set value at all times. - SetCPU website

userspace
A method for controlling the CPU speed that isn't currently used by SetCPU. For best results, do not use the userspace governor. - SetCPU website

Interactive

The 'interactive' governor has a different approach. Instead of sampling the cpu
at a specified rate, the governor will scale the cpu frequency up when coming
out of idle. When the cpu comes out of idle, a timer is configured to fire
within 1-2 ticks. If the cpu is 100% busy from exiting idle to when the timer
fires then we assume the cpu is underpowered and ramp to MAX speed.

If the cpu was not 100% busy, then the governor evaluates the cpu load over the
last 'min_sample_rate' (default 50000 uS) to determine the cpu speed to ramp down
to.
- [Patches] For developers, interactive governor patch for leo kernel

Thanks,
RJackson
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to RJackson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RJackson Ad-Free

18th November 2010, 06:57 AM |#2  
Flag Lincolnshire
Thanks Meter: 58

More
As explained by MDJ:
Quote:

SMARTASS GOVERNOR - is based on the concept of the interactive governor.
I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works - by taking over the idle loop - is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the "old" minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 245Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 245 - why?! - it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 998/245 kernel, it will sleep at 245. No need for sleep profiles any more!

The Following User Says Thank You to FerretAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FerretAD Ad-Free
18th November 2010, 04:02 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretAD

As explained by MDJ:

I saw that one but didn't use it because it didn't really explain what it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJackson

• smartass (Best explanation i've found paraphrases to: based on interactive, but better.)

11th January 2011, 03:50 PM |#4  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 24

Donate to Me
More
Which Kernel support SmartAss? I use WildMonks with SetCPU 2.1.0 and I don't see the "smartass" governor in my list.
12th February 2011, 09:10 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaForte

Which Kernel support SmartAss? I use WildMonks with SetCPU 2.1.0 and I don't see the "smartass" governor in my list.

i have the "savage" kernal with smartass
17th May 2011, 12:42 AM |#6  
Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 114

More
LeeDroid's Kernals and ROMs support smartass as well
26th May 2011, 04:41 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong428

LeeDroid's Kernals and ROMs support smartass as well

Add Tiamat to the list.
27th May 2011, 10:08 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
add chad's incredikernel
31st May 2011, 11:20 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaForte

On my evo shift the x99 kernel supports smartass for stockish froyo roms and cm7 roms

you have to have a kernel to add smartass to your list
29th July 2011, 06:01 PM |#10  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 19

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJackson

The SetCPU website explains some governors: http://www.pokedev.com/setcpu/#7

However it seems that some extra governors, not covered by the SetCPU site, have been added to some kernels; which I think should be documented so users know which one to pick.

I will add responses as to what each governor does to this post. If there are any governors not explained that you've come across, please post and we'll see if somebody can explain it.

Unexplained governors (somebody please tell me what they do)

----
ondemand
Available in most kernels, and the default governor in most kernels. When the CPU load reaches a certain point (see "up threshold" in Advanced Settings), ondemand will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed. - SetCPU website

conservative
Available in some kernels. It is similar to the ondemand governor, but will scale the CPU up more gradually to better fit demand. Conservative provides a less responsive experience than ondemand, but can save battery. - SetCPU website

performance
Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "max" set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting "max" and "min" to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for the CPU load. This governor is recommended for stable benchmarking. - SetCPU website

powersave
Available in some kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "min" set value at all times. - SetCPU website

userspace
A method for controlling the CPU speed that isn't currently used by SetCPU. For best results, do not use the userspace governor. - SetCPU website

Interactive

The 'interactive' governor has a different approach. Instead of sampling the cpu
at a specified rate, the governor will scale the cpu frequency up when coming
out of idle. When the cpu comes out of idle, a timer is configured to fire
within 1-2 ticks. If the cpu is 100% busy from exiting idle to when the timer
fires then we assume the cpu is underpowered and ramp to MAX speed.

If the cpu was not 100% busy, then the governor evaluates the cpu load over the
last 'min_sample_rate' (default 50000 uS) to determine the cpu speed to ramp down
to.
- [Patches] For developers, interactive governor patch for leo kernel

Thanks,
RJackson

Thanks for the kind descriptions...

I've translated them to Korean for my fellow countrymen!

>,<

http://caleb1783.tistory.com/157
10th August 2011, 11:49 PM |#11  
London
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thanks for this. Smartass has been a mystery to me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)