FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DEV] Custom Recovery P500/Thunderg

619 posts
Thanks Meter: 828

By drellisdee, Inactive Recognized Developer on 18th November 2010, 10:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Full release post is here and I'll update at xda soon.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-...ml#post1896517

I got all the bugs worked out thanks alahkel & fughy for testing and of course Amon-Ra for original source.

New link version 2.2.1 Version 2.2.1

New version 3.06 Version 3.06
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to drellisdee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drellisdee Ad-Free

18th November 2010, 11:59 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 186

More
Thumbs up
Thanks to you for the whole great work you've done!
We really appreciate that.
19th November 2010, 12:15 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
really GREAT WORK !!!!
19th November 2010, 01:41 PM |#4  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Please, i need some info, how use adb on P500.
20th November 2010, 11:34 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Absolute AWESOME!!!

21st November 2010, 08:22 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks!
Thanks !

works like a charm. I have installed your custom recovery. Backed up everything with nandroid, tried KeruROM, flashed back my original branded ROM from nandroid backup.
Everything works. I'm not going to try flash back my original recovery mtd, there is no reason to do it, but have a dd backup just in case. I don't know if it is safe to tamper with recovery mtd, cause I'm not sure if it is re-flashed after every system shutdown. I don't think so, cause I haven't found recovery.img in /system.

I have two questions regarding flashing custom recovery. I haven't used this command:

Code:
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
cause, i didn't found this script on my phone. Is it ok?

Second question: Is it mandatory to copy flash_image to /system/bin with this command?

Code:
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
Can't we use /data/local/tmp directory and running flash_image from there as we used in the process of rooting the phone? This way we don't have to remount /system in rw and do not have to modify it.

Now I'm going to explore ROM modding ;)
22nd November 2010, 05:57 PM |#7  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag East Coast

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintersorg

Thanks !

works like a charm. I have installed your custom recovery. Backed up everything with nandroid, tried KeruROM, flashed back my original branded ROM from nandroid backup.
Everything works. I'm not going to try flash back my original recovery mtd, there is no reason to do it, but have a dd backup just in case. I don't know if it is safe to tamper with recovery mtd, cause I'm not sure if it is re-flashed after every system shutdown. I don't think so, cause I haven't found recovery.img in /system.

I have two questions regarding flashing custom recovery. I haven't used this command:

Code:
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
cause, i didn't found this script on my phone. Is it ok?

Second question: Is it mandatory to copy flash_image to /system/bin with this command?

Code:
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
Can't we use /data/local/tmp directory and running flash_image from there as we used in the process of rooting the phone? This way we don't have to remount /system in rw and do not have to modify it.

Now I'm going to explore ROM modding ;)

Flash_image doesn't have to be there but for simplicity I put it there so it would be in :PATH. The install-recovery.sh is an evil script that will rewrite a recovery on boot with stock recovery(that only is there on some phones after an official ota update) so rom markers please remove it if it exists.
23rd November 2010, 12:05 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Any chance the p509 optimus t is similar enough for this to work? I'm willing to be the guinea pig if it should work.
23rd November 2010, 03:44 PM |#9  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag East Coast

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeseph Mother

Any chance the p509 optimus t is similar enough for this to work? I'm willing to be the guinea pig if it should work.

Its close enough it has a very good chance of working but will take a guinea pig to verify. Kernel should be close enough to try. Only differences I saw in the ramdisk of p500 & p509 was model number and lang of en GB and en Us repectively. I had a bad/corrupt dump to work off of on the p509/T. I could use a good dump source with a md5sum to verify its not corrupted in uploading/downloading.

make sure you do this 1st to backup your stock recovery

from terminal or adb shell
Code:
dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/sdcard/recovery-dump-T.img bs=4096
please upload that dump for me with a md5 too and I'll work on an official.
23rd November 2010, 05:48 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Can it be done without root? As normal user?
23rd November 2010, 09:42 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks of all to drellisdee
I want to advertise that the custon recovery file is no more available at Media fire link that suggest us.
Waiting that the file will be restored is there someone that can upload it???
Thank's of all!!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)