FORUMS

[Q] Docking station?

65 posts
Thanks Meter: 90

By Kebab3000, Member on 20th November 2010, 12:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone know if the HTC Desire Z support a proper docking station like the Motorola Milestone does?

I've bought some cheapo dock off Amazon, and it charges the phone fine, but there doesn't seem to be a special dock mode like the Milestone had (it used to know it was in the dock by rotating the screen and acting like a Desk Clock). Strangely, the desire Z has a desk clock app, but the app doesn't automatically start, nor does it use landscape mode unless you open the keyboard.

This could either be because its a cheapo dock or the desire Z just lacks the magnetic switch to tell the phone that it's in a dock. Anyone know?
22nd November 2010, 09:45 PM |#2  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Which dock did you purchase? I haven't been able to find any on Amazon specifically for the Desire Z (tried searching as the G2 also). I have seen a few different ones on Ebay but they all look cheap and are coming from overseas...
22nd November 2010, 09:51 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
It's this one:
w w w . a m a z o n . c o . u k /gp/product/B004AH22NC/ref=oss_product
(sorry, newbies can't post proper links)

It has one captive USB cable that goes to your computer, then a micro-USB socket that connects to your charger. It looks pretty cheap and nasty and doesn't completely surround the side of the Desire Z, so you have to 'aim' it onto the USB connector that sticks out of the base.

It's ok, but not great.
22nd November 2010, 10:13 PM |#4  
Flag California

More
That looks just like the ones that are being sold on Ebay. Price is about the same but they are shipping from Hong Kong...
23rd November 2010, 09:19 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Tbh, it's a bit rubbish. I just found out that if I have it plugged into both a computer (for syncing) and the charger (for charging when my computer is off at night), it will get confused and won't send any power to the phone (the amber/green LED isn't turned). It also causes my computers bios to hang for 10-15 seconds when it boots.

I wouldn't recommend getting it. Hopefully someone makes a better dock
23rd November 2010, 05:16 PM |#6  
Flag California

More
Thanks for the heads up as I was considering ordering one for myself (would take 2-3 weeks to get here anyhow). I'm sure its only a matter of time until someone makes a more official one for the G2 or the Desire Z.
25th November 2010, 10:01 AM |#7  
Flag Ede
Thanks Meter: 5

More
yesterday i recieved the docking station from Ebay

: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250725370529 :

Quality is awesome, long cable.. fits perfect on my desk.. if you search for a dockingstation i recomen this 1.
6th December 2010, 09:06 PM |#8  
Flag Dortmund
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Ordered the one in Roachie's post.
Now waiting for it
11th December 2010, 06:47 AM |#9  
Flag Dortmund

More
some pics:

11th December 2010, 04:41 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
@sergioka: Are you satisfied with build quality and overall impression?
12th December 2010, 02:16 AM |#11  
Flag Dortmund

More
It has a good quality,
but it was a little bit hard to put the device on it, because of the usb connector.
You should put the docking station on a higher place to look on the display, the device looks only to one direction, to the front.

bye,

sergioka
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)