WHAT'S THIS ??
- This is a flashable Update.zip containing the stock HTC Desire Z with HTC Sense Kernel 184.108.40.206-gd2764ed.
- NOTICE this is kernel-specific. This overclocking update won't work if you have a different kernel (T-Mobile firmware, some asian versions, etc). This is intended for the current stock european generic Desire Z, the Bell-NAM Desire Z, and any custom ROM based on this Kernel version.
- It will overclock your phone's CPU to 1017 MHz, 1206 MHz or 1420 MHz Godspeed.
- The stock Kernel has not been modified. Instead of that, the Overclocking module is automatically loaded on boot.
- It also includes embedded root priviledges, disabled security, the latest Busybox (Nov 2010) and Superuser, so your root will stay even if you ever have to factory reset.
- Flashing one of this Kernel Update zips will NOT erase your personal info and configurations; it will not wipe your phone because only the kernel will be updated.
HOW TO FLASH ??
- I assume you are an experienced user, if not, please refer to the "EASY rooting/flashing TUTORIAL and FAQs for dummies" thread, read the FAQ, and them come back.
TIP: Hey, please remember: it's always clever to make a NANDroid backup before flashing anything.
- I have prepared 3 sets: a conservative 1 GHz overclocking update, an intermediate 1.2 GHz option and a more aggressive 1.4 GHz version. Pick your Downlaod from this post's footer, and copy it to your phone's SD card.
- Flash it via ClockworkMod: Open ROM Manager, tap "Install ROM from SD card", scroll to select your EZ Godspeed update zip, tap OK. Phone will reboot with the updated kernel.
TIP: DON'T check "Wipe Data and Cache" unless you wanna delete all your personal info, installed apps and configurations.
- Enjoy your new godspeed EZ overclocked DZ
WANT TO FINE TUNE OR TRY OTHER SPEEDS ??
- I strongly recommend getting SetCPU from the Market. It will let you control your max/min CPU speeds, fine tune, and many advanced options, but be aware SetCPU can't override the max speed specified by the Godspeed kernel update you choose.
- To change the max overclocking speed, You can flash from any Godspeed update to another as many times as you wish, because the only diference between each is the overclocking module autoload script 03gtrabOC, which specifies the oc-dz.ko overclocking module max value (check post 5 if you want to learn how it works or how to make your own update zips).
HOW TO DISABLE / UNINSTALL ??
Do you really wanna go back ?? OK then, manually uninstalling is EZ-DZ too:
1.- Delete the file /system/etc/init.d/03gtrabOC and reboot. The overclocking module won't be auto-loaded anymore; you're back to 806MHz.
2.- Delete /system/lib/modules/oc-dz.ko (the overclocking module). This is optional since the module won't be loaded without the script.
Everything else in this Update zips is stock (the Kernel, radio module bcm4329.ko, etc) except for a couple of ramdisk optimizations (embedded root and enabled busybox run parts capabilities) and the latest Busybox and Superuser apps (which you already had).
OR you can simply restore your NANDroid backup and forget you ever flashed this OC thing.
THANKS to tkirton (update script guru and patient teacher), coolbho3000 (original overclocking module for the HTC Vision), stridger (recompiled module for the Desire Z), dsixda (learned a lot by reading the scripts from his kitchen) and many others.
If I owe acknowledgements please let me know and I will update this post.
- For 1.4 GHz overclocking download EZDZ_Godspeed_update03.zip
MD5 checksum: b28261f48b2fe437075d64bf4cd727c5
- For 1.0 GHz overclocking download EZDZ_Godspeed1GHz_update03.zip
MD5 checksum: 7e1ac82406bcf818ed33d4e886bba99c
- For 1.2 GHz overclocking download EZDZ_Godspeed1.2_update03.zip
MD5 checksum: dfc699802cae2744b22ce32f10380df6