FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[KERNEL] EZ-DZ v03 | Godspeed OVERCLOCKING kernels for stock ROMs | 1.0, 1.2, 1.4GHz

2,976 posts
Thanks Meter: 517

By gtrab, Senior Member on 22nd November 2010, 09:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
EZ-DZ GODSPEED OVERCLOCKING kernel Update ver 03 for the HTC Desire Z

WHAT'S THIS ??

- This is a flashable Update.zip containing the stock HTC Desire Z with HTC Sense Kernel 2.6.32.21-gd2764ed.
- NOTICE this is kernel-specific. This overclocking update won't work if you have a different kernel (T-Mobile firmware, some asian versions, etc). This is intended for the current stock european generic Desire Z, the Bell-NAM Desire Z, and any custom ROM based on this Kernel version.
- It will overclock your phone's CPU to 1017 MHz, 1206 MHz or 1420 MHz Godspeed.
- The stock Kernel has not been modified. Instead of that, the Overclocking module is automatically loaded on boot.
- It also includes embedded root priviledges, disabled security, the latest Busybox (Nov 2010) and Superuser, so your root will stay even if you ever have to factory reset.
- Flashing one of this Kernel Update zips will NOT erase your personal info and configurations; it will not wipe your phone because only the kernel will be updated.

HOW TO FLASH ??

- I assume you are an experienced user, if not, please refer to the "EASY rooting/flashing TUTORIAL and FAQs for dummies" thread, read the FAQ, and them come back.
TIP: Hey, please remember: it's always clever to make a NANDroid backup before flashing anything.
- I have prepared 3 sets: a conservative 1 GHz overclocking update, an intermediate 1.2 GHz option and a more aggressive 1.4 GHz version. Pick your Downlaod from this post's footer, and copy it to your phone's SD card.
- Flash it via ClockworkMod: Open ROM Manager, tap "Install ROM from SD card", scroll to select your EZ Godspeed update zip, tap OK. Phone will reboot with the updated kernel.
TIP: DON'T check "Wipe Data and Cache" unless you wanna delete all your personal info, installed apps and configurations.
- Enjoy your new godspeed EZ overclocked DZ

WANT TO FINE TUNE OR TRY OTHER SPEEDS ??

- I strongly recommend getting SetCPU from the Market. It will let you control your max/min CPU speeds, fine tune, and many advanced options, but be aware SetCPU can't override the max speed specified by the Godspeed kernel update you choose.
- To change the max overclocking speed, You can flash from any Godspeed update to another as many times as you wish, because the only diference between each is the overclocking module autoload script 03gtrabOC, which specifies the oc-dz.ko overclocking module max value (check post 5 if you want to learn how it works or how to make your own update zips).

HOW TO DISABLE / UNINSTALL ??

Do you really wanna go back ?? OK then, manually uninstalling is EZ-DZ too:

1.- Delete the file /system/etc/init.d/03gtrabOC and reboot. The overclocking module won't be auto-loaded anymore; you're back to 806MHz.
2.- Delete /system/lib/modules/oc-dz.ko (the overclocking module). This is optional since the module won't be loaded without the script.
Everything else in this Update zips is stock (the Kernel, radio module bcm4329.ko, etc) except for a couple of ramdisk optimizations (embedded root and enabled busybox run parts capabilities) and the latest Busybox and Superuser apps (which you already had).

OR you can simply restore your NANDroid backup and forget you ever flashed this OC thing.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

THANKS to tkirton (update script guru and patient teacher), coolbho3000 (original overclocking module for the HTC Vision), stridger (recompiled module for the Desire Z), dsixda (learned a lot by reading the scripts from his kitchen) and many others.
If I owe acknowledgements please let me know and I will update this post.

DOWNLOADS:

- For 1.4 GHz overclocking download EZDZ_Godspeed_update03.zip
MD5 checksum: b28261f48b2fe437075d64bf4cd727c5

- For 1.0 GHz overclocking download EZDZ_Godspeed1GHz_update03.zip
MD5 checksum: 7e1ac82406bcf818ed33d4e886bba99c

- For 1.2 GHz overclocking download EZDZ_Godspeed1.2_update03.zip
MD5 checksum: dfc699802cae2744b22ce32f10380df6
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gtrab For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gtrab Ad-Free

22nd November 2010, 09:38 AM |#2  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 620

More
Good work
22nd November 2010, 10:35 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Thumbs up
Awesome work!

Is there a way to set speed at 1Ghz? I am using SetCPU. Slider gives me only 245, 368, 768 and 1420MHz speed. Any ideas?

Oh! And is there easy way defuse this nice kernel? Root and S-Off I already had.
22nd November 2010, 12:51 PM |#4  
Baghdad
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Still waiting for this f$*kin' phone in France, need it !

In setCPU, impossible to set speed at stock Mhz ? (806Mhz, correct ?)
22nd November 2010, 03:26 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag America

More
As always, feel free to modify/edit/tweak/improve etc anything I share

How are the max frequencies/clockspeeds set ??

The overclocking script file /system/etc/init.d/03gtrabOC loads the overclocking module oc-dz.ko at boot, and sets its max speed.

The last line in the script sets the maximum overclocking value:
The only change between all versions is the final number at "pll2_l_val=x" (the MHz value multiplier is 19.2). Examples:

For stock 806.4 MHz
pll2_l_val=42

For 1017.6 MHz
pll2_l_val=53

For 1209 Mhz
pll2_l_val=63

For 1420 Mhz
pll2_l_val=74

How to delete the script 03gtrabOC to stop auto-loading the overclocking module ??

Using ADB commands from a PC:
adb remount (remounts r/w for that session if phone has unsecured kernel, like this one)
adb shell rm /system/etc/init.d/03gtrabOC

How is the overclocking module auto-loaded ??

The stock boot.img was unpacked, and inside ramdisk, bootcomplete.rc was edited to include a line which enables Busybox run parts at boot, then, with Notepad++ a line was added to the updater-script of the Update zip which gives running atributes to any script dropped into /system/etc/init.d. There's where the module-loading script 03gtrabOC was placed.

Was else was included or modified ??

- The overclocking module compiled by stridger was added to /system/lib/modules/
- Superuser APK was added to /system/app/ just in case it's missing or wrong.
- Su and the latest version of Busybox were added to /system/xbin/
- A full set of Busybox symlinks was added to the Update zip updater-script with Notepad++
- Inside the boot.img's ramdisk, defaul.prop was edited to ro.secure=0 (unsecured Kernel, "root")
- The Kernel itself was not touched, to avoid conflicts / problems (anyway the source is still not available).

How were these Update zips packed and signed ??

Using Daneshm90's Update zip tool.

How was the boot.img unpacked and repacked ??

Using scripts from dsixda's kitchen on Cygwin, a Unix emulator for Windows.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtrab For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gtrab Ad-Free
22nd November 2010, 03:30 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Thumbs up
Thanks AGAIN mate. Is 1.4 GHz safe choice for everyday usage?

I'll try play with values, I just want that 1GHz too.

EDIT: And I want that 1.4 GHz value too. lol

03gtrabOC has only one value, is that some kind divider? I am sorry but I can not figure those tables out.
22nd November 2010, 04:29 PM |#7  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 8

More
This works great. I assume that this now sticks between reboots?
22nd November 2010, 04:38 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag America

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludow

03gtrabOC has only one value, is that some kind divider? I am sorry but I can not figure those tables out.

Updated post 1 (new 1GHz version) and post 5 (how to manually change overclocking speed / multiplier value)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofabit

This works great. I assume that this now sticks between reboots?

Yes it should
22nd November 2010, 06:08 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
gtrab, quick question. As this update has root built in do i have to root my device first or can i simply install clockwork and apply this update?
22nd November 2010, 06:15 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag America

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by huetson2

gtrab, quick question. As this update has root built in do i have to root my device first or can i simply install clockwork and apply this update?

yes of course you need root and S-OFF to flahs this or anything non-official
check the easy tutorial FAQ linked on the post, you'll become a flashing master in 8 minutes
22nd November 2010, 06:37 PM |#11  
Account currently disabled
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 56

Donate to Me
More
Is 1.4GHz the fastest we can go on the Z / without a custom kernel?
Seeing as the G2 can go up to 1.9GHz.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
desire z, ezdz, gtrab, kernel, overclocking

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)