FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[SOLUTION] Getting Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues Fixed On Samsung Galaxy I 9000...

62 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

By ApnaDroid, Member on 24th November 2010, 03:25 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you are also experiencing Wi-fi connectivity issues with Samsung Galaxy I 9000 here is the solution :

Problem :

Solution (Tested Personally) :
To get Wi-Fi fixed on your Samsung Galaxy I 9000 follow the instructions detailed below :
  • Make sure Wi-Fi is ON and Navigate to Settings -> Wireless and Network -> Wi-Fi Settings, now click the left-side context-menu button on your phone to bring-up Advanced option and click it.
  • Now to get things working we will need to make cellphone use a static IP address for Wi-Fi, check the Use Static IP option and proceed with entering values manually.
  • If you are not sure what values to use take a look at your network-adapter status on computer, here are my settings (should works on most default router setups).
  • Enter all values and your screen should now look like the one below.
  • Now go back to your Wi-Fi settings page and click your access-point name and it should show you the manually entered IP value.
  • Your Wi-Fi issues should be now over.

If you need help with manual values do ask here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApnaDroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ApnaDroid Ad-Free

27th November 2010, 09:55 AM |#2  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApnaDroid

If you are also experiencing Wi-fi connectivity issues with Samsung Galaxy I 9000 here is the solution :

Problem :

Solution (Tested Personally) :
To get Wi-Fi fixed on your Samsung Galaxy I 9000 follow the instructions detailed below :
  • Make sure Wi-Fi is ON and Navigate to Settings -> Wireless and Network -> Wi-Fi Settings, now click the left-side context-menu button on your phone to bring-up Advanced option and click it.
  • Now to get things working we will need to make cellphone use a static IP address for Wi-Fi, check the Use Static IP option and proceed with entering values manually.
  • If you are not sure what values to use take a look at your network-adapter status on computer, here are my settings (should works on most default router setups).
  • Enter all values and your screen should now look like the one below.
  • Now go back to your Wi-Fi settings page and click your access-point name and it should show you the manually entered IP value.
  • Your Wi-Fi issues should be now over.

is tis te lan ip or wan ip?
27th November 2010, 10:04 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksh20480

is tis te lan ip or wan ip?

LAN IP you want to allot to your SGS.
27th November 2010, 04:47 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApnaDroid

I don't mean to be offensive but your recommendations make no sense at all...

You are saying: if you have wifi troubles switch from DHCP assigned ip-addresses to static ip-addresses, using the settings which are personal to _your_ setup at _your_ house.

If for some reason static-ip-address gives you a better connectivity I suggest you start investigating your DHCP configuration in your network.
The Following User Says Thank You to upp3rd0g For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift upp3rd0g Ad-Free
28th November 2010, 01:34 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by upp3rd0g

I don't mean to be offensive but your recommendations make no sense at all...

You are saying: if you have wifi troubles switch from DHCP assigned ip-addresses to static ip-addresses, using the settings which are personal to _your_ setup at _your_ house.

If for some reason static-ip-address gives you a better connectivity I suggest you start investigating your DHCP configuration in your network.

No offense taken, but being a system administrator and software developer for 9 years I know what I am talking about. The "DHCP configuration" on my network/router is fine, it is working flawlessly for past few years with 8 computers on the LAN with multiple wi-fi devices connecting to it almost on daily basis - only SGS gets the Wi-Fi blues; it is the 'SGS DHCP' driver implementation which is having issues - without a static IP SGS connects and works for some time but have issues re-connecting automatically after a screen-off or long break. I personally had used my iPhone 3G on this setup for more then a yaear (and many other phones/devices occasionally) without a hiccup and problems were there on SGS from very first day until I used the STATIC IP.

Here are some forum/blog posts/user opinions confirming the SGS wifi issue and the static ip solution :

If you are having SGS Wi-fi issues, have you tried this solution ?
rajesh26e4u
28th November 2010, 07:27 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for the tip. But I was wondering how the wifi would perform if you were at a wifi zone other than your house wifi with these settings. For example, university library or a coffee shop. Would the wifi connectivity get distorted due to these settings when we're using free wifi such as the above mentioned?
28th November 2010, 08:07 AM |#7  
Flag Thorpe Bay

More
I haven't tried this but have the same concern about switching to other wifi networks. My data plan includes free wifi connection to the Cloud, BT Openzone and other wifi hotspots. I would be concerned at the effect of a static IP address on those.

I have only noticed an issue with wifi since upgrading to Froyo. Sometimes the phone dies not switch back from 3G or HDSPA when I return to a wifi zone. The workaround is to switch wifi off and back on again. I have an unlimited data plan so the only concern is speed but that does make it annoying.
28th November 2010, 04:36 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh26e4u

Thanks for the tip. But I was wondering how the wifi would perform if you were at a wifi zone other than your house wifi with these settings. For example, university library or a coffee shop. Would the wifi connectivity get distorted due to these settings when we're using free wifi such as the above mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwebby

I haven't tried this but have the same concern about switching to other wifi networks. My data plan includes free wifi connection to the Cloud, BT Openzone and other wifi hotspots. I would be concerned at the effect of a static IP address on those.

I have only noticed an issue with wifi since upgrading to Froyo. Sometimes the phone dies not switch back from 3G or HDSPA when I return to a wifi zone. The workaround is to switch wifi off and back on again. I have an unlimited data plan so the only concern is speed but that does make it annoying.

"There's an app for that" - http://www.appbrain.com/app/wifi-sta...oc.wifi.statIc
2nd December 2010, 02:11 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Now connects but no Data Transfer
Hello ApnaDroid,

Thanks for your trick.. Now I can get "connected" but cannot have any data transfer.. when I connect to my wifi router (my modem and wifi router are seperate units) which is on 10.1.1.10, I dont see it connected and having data transfer. Strangely, when I see under WiFi routers wireless statistics, I cann see the MAC address of the Galaxy S showing this in front "STA-ASSOC".

That means, that I am getting connecetd to the wifi alright.... but no data transfer... MIND YOU, WITH NO CHANGES TO THE SAME WIFI, WHEN I FACTORY RESET, EVERYTHING WORKS FINE.

Please guide. Is there any way to patch this in Froyo Build DDJP6.

Regards

PS ; Is there any way I can reset the Wifi to factory settings without Hard Formatting (Factory Formatting) my Galaxy S ???
2nd December 2010, 02:54 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
This solved it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayadv

Hello ApnaDroid,

Thanks for your trick.. Now I can get "connected" but cannot have any data transfer.. when I connect to my wifi router (my modem and wifi router are seperate units) which is on 10.1.1.10, I dont see it connected and having data transfer. Strangely, when I see under WiFi routers wireless statistics, I cann see the MAC address of the Galaxy S showing this in front "STA-ASSOC".

That means, that I am getting connecetd to the wifi alright.... but no data transfer... MIND YOU, WITH NO CHANGES TO THE SAME WIFI, WHEN I FACTORY RESET, EVERYTHING WORKS FINE.

Please guide. Is there any way to patch this in Froyo Build DDJP6.

Regards

PS ; Is there any way I can reset the Wifi to factory settings without Hard Formatting (Factory Formatting) my Galaxy S ???

After doig all the above, I again switched back and unchecked the "Static IP". Then voila... I tried this...i open allshare app which go to wifi settings and connect to the wifi then just close allshare and you have wifi

Went to allshare ad enables wifi... IT WORKS...
2nd December 2010, 03:43 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
As soon as I updated to Froyo I had the same issue with regards to wifi refusing to reconnect to my Netgear WNR2000 at home after a short while, it was fine with Eclair and worked fine with a Draytek 2600 at work after update.

My solution was to change the Netgear router to use WPA2 encryption and not mixed WPA/WPA2, have not had a problem since. I have not tried other methods yet.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
connectivity, samsung, wi-fi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)