FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

X10 Custom ROM AOSP 2.2.1 : How to for dummies

329 posts
Thanks Meter: 110

Post Reply Email Thread
SINCE FREE X10 IS NOW BETA, THIS HOW TO IS NO LONGER VALID

Hello world !
I noticed there was nothing to explain simply how to install the increible X10 Free Rom in dual-boot with your regular 2.1 rom of Zdzihu.

** No responsability for anything, you are all responsible of what you're doing !! **

** Please follow ALL these steps. Don't try to be Indiana Jones by flashing your device without all the tools needed !!! **

INSTALL
(for 1st install)

Before attempting anything, make sure you have AT LEAST 50% of battery charge. Don't try anything with low battery, you can abort the flashing and brick your device !!!
Please make sure you're also running a 2.1 rom (Generic, nordic, official, custom...)

- Download FreeX10 v0.0.1 file (NOT 002 yet !!!)

- Download Android SDK
You don't need to save the entire archive (but you can), you just need the Tools folder (because it contains ADB, the Android Debug Bridge we need to install files).

- On x10 :
Download and install Busybox (from Market), make sure it says "Done!".
Connect your x10 in USB, mount SD card, and copy files FreeX10.zip and install on the root of your SD Card.
Enable USB debugging (Parameters > Applications > Development).

- On your computer, go in the Tools folder, open a DOS prompt (for Windows 7 : hold CAPS + right click, you'll see Open a DOS prompt) and

type :
Code:
adb shell
(this will run ADB shell... You will get a "$")

- Type :
Code:
su
(this will make you super-user, you will get a "#")

- Type :
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/install of=/data/install && chmod 777 /data/install && /data/install
(It will display "11", "1+1", or "inflating:..." ...)

- Wait, have a beer, pray for your sins for your phone not to turn into a $600 brick

- One minute after, when it shows
Code:
All done, please reboot!
, reboot ! (But you can gently quit ADB by typing
Code:
exit
twice

)

Note : regarding me, I typed "exit" to quit ADB, I turned off ADB on phone and disconnected USB. You can do, it's even safer

- Wait up to 5 minutes for the phone to boot, it is NORMAL !!!! It looks stuck on Sony Ericsson logo and/or on Free X10 logo, it's NOT stuck !!! You MUST wait !!!!

- It will finally run normal, your phone is alive and 2.2-hearted !!

You are now eligible to install v0.0.2 (as it comes as an update).

Dual Boot usage
This rom comes with a great Dual Boot, which means the 2.2.1 is installed safely apart from your original 2.1 rom. This means you can switch back anytime to stock rom. To say it simply :
- Your Android 2.1 is here, and no changes are made to it (apps, version, etc etc). It is stored as it has to be, in the internal 1Gb phone memory storage (called the "NAND").
- FreeX10 (2.2.1) is running from image files (like .ISO files) stored in your SD Card. This means the two Android are living together peacefully, without affecting (theorically) each other.

FreeX10 mainly creates a bootloader, for you to choose whether to test 2.2.1, or go back to 2.1 for your daily use.

- To run 2.2.1 : do nothing (default boot)
- To run 2.1 : press any key at boot, when it shows "Sony Ericsson".

Notes when upgrading to v0.0.2 :

- As Android is stored into image files (.IMG), upgrading will wipe out all your content (it does a fresh "install"), make backup of what you need !
- to avoid future bugs, altough you're not forced to do, do the routines to make sure Wifi, root, packages install, ... work. This is because USB debug can break, so you won't be able to use ADB to fix these bugs
- Root is strongly recommended to work, because it's cool and because the CPU performance is set to highest : stuck at 998MHz all the time, it will drain your battery like hell ! You can switch it back to original power saving plan (ondemand plan) by using (ie) SetCPU. Root required !

If your Android goes instable, does not work anymore, or you want a fresh install after lots of tests, simply drag and drop the original v0.0.2 .img files on your SD card. This will make you boot into a fully fresh install.

For all bugs, commands, etc.. Please go first to this excellent (and very easy) thread !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Perceval from Hyrule For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Perceval from Hyrule Ad-Free

24th November 2010, 07:03 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 635

More
Nice..
How about one on AOSP 2.1
24th November 2010, 07:04 PM |#3  
Flag Azeitão
Thanks Meter: 2,225

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceval from Hyrule

Hello world !
I noticed there was nothing to explain simply how to install the increible X10 Free Rom in dual-boot with your regular 2.1 rom of Zdzihu.

nice dummies HOW TO

and ohhh my god there is dummies
24th November 2010, 07:06 PM |#4  
Flag Azeitão

Donate to Me
More
all comands needed
INSTALLATION

1. Download the rom package (FreeX10_alpha-release_0.0.1.tar.bz2)
2. Unpack it to the root (main folder) of your SD Card
3. Connect your phone in USB Debugging mode
4. Open ADB shell, switch to root user (SU)
5. Issue the command

dd if=/sdcard/install of=/data/install && chmod 777 /data/install && ./data/install

6. Reboot when installation is finished
7. Enjoy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHANGE BOOT PRIORITY

Copy chargemon.txt file to

/system/bin

folder ON YOUR ORIGINAL 2.1 ROM, NOT FROYO!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPGRADE TO 0.0.2 VERSION

Boot into 2.1, unpack the content of FreeX10_alpha-release_0.0.2-UPDATE.tar.bz2 into

/sdcard/FreeX10

folder and reboot into updated 2.2!

NOTES:

1. SMS vibrate is disabled by default; open Messaging, press MENU button -> settings -> vibrate -> always

2. If you don't have radio (network) after 1st boot, please open ADB shell and issue this command:

killall servicemanager

3. If you don't have root access, please open ADB shell and issue this command:

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

hope it helps too
24th November 2010, 07:15 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ile d'Oleron

Donate to Me
More
UPDATE TO v.0.0.2

Note : you can only update from 0.0.1 to 0.0.2. I mean you can't do a fresh install of 0.0.2, you MUST have 0.0.1 installed !

- Download v0.0.2 from main thread.

- Run your device on your regular 2.1 rom (while off, power on, and press any button when it displays Sony Ericsson logo)

- Mount the SD Card, then copy data.img and system.img from the archive into the folder /FreeX10. Replace the two .img files.

- Reboot into 2.2, have fun ^^
24th November 2010, 07:19 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ile d'Oleron

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRED^

Nice..
How about one on AOSP 2.1

I'll try to do one if I get time, but I need a fully working ROM as my phone is useful for my life (still waiting for 2.1 stable )

Thanks for your posts all, it will help everybody who want to try the 2.2

(as it is safe and running from SD card, very very very cool idea !)
24th November 2010, 07:52 PM |#7  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Help followed your guide get adb shell not a internal command what am i doing wrong been trying this for hours now
24th November 2010, 07:59 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 635

More
I found drawing a pentagram in human blood and chanting a few words can do wonders too.
24th November 2010, 08:00 PM |#9  
Flag Azeitão

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastphil

Help followed your guide get adb shell not a internal command what am i doing wrong been trying this for hours now

root privileges do you have it?
unmount sdcard
24th November 2010, 08:01 PM |#10  
Flag Azeitão

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRED^

I found drawing a pentagram in human blood and chanting a few words can do wonders too.

sarcasm...love it
24th November 2010, 08:11 PM |#11  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendeiro2005

root privileges do you have it?
unmount sdcard

yes mate i do have root access titanium etc works fine just cant get adb shell to run
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
2.2.1, custom, oasp, rom

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)