Hello world !
I noticed there was nothing to explain simply how to install the increible X10 Free Rom in dual-boot with your regular 2.1 rom of Zdzihu.
** No responsability for anything, you are all responsible of what you're doing !! **
** Please follow ALL these steps. Don't try to be Indiana Jones by flashing your device without all the tools needed !!! **
(for 1st install)
Before attempting anything, make sure you have AT LEAST 50% of battery charge. Don't try anything with low battery, you can abort the flashing and brick your device !!!
Please make sure you're also running a 2.1 rom (Generic, nordic, official, custom...)
- Download FreeX10 v0.0.1 file (NOT 002 yet !!!)
- Download Android SDK
You don't need to save the entire archive (but you can), you just need the Tools folder (because it contains ADB, the Android Debug Bridge we need to install files).
- On x10 :
Download and install Busybox (from Market), make sure it says "Done!".
Connect your x10 in USB, mount SD card, and copy files FreeX10.zip and install on the root of your SD Card.
Enable USB debugging (Parameters > Applications > Development).
- On your computer, go in the Tools folder, open a DOS prompt (for Windows 7 : hold CAPS + right click, you'll see Open a DOS prompt) and
- Type :
- Type :
dd if=/sdcard/install of=/data/install && chmod 777 /data/install && /data/install
- Wait, have a beer, pray for your sins for your phone not to turn into a $600 brick
- One minute after, when it shows
All done, please reboot!
Note : regarding me, I typed "exit" to quit ADB, I turned off ADB on phone and disconnected USB. You can do, it's even safer
- Wait up to 5 minutes for the phone to boot, it is NORMAL !!!! It looks stuck on Sony Ericsson logo and/or on Free X10 logo, it's NOT stuck !!! You MUST wait !!!!
- It will finally run normal, your phone is alive and 2.2-hearted !!
You are now eligible to install v0.0.2 (as it comes as an update).
Dual Boot usage
This rom comes with a great Dual Boot, which means the 2.2.1 is installed safely apart from your original 2.1 rom. This means you can switch back anytime to stock rom. To say it simply :
- Your Android 2.1 is here, and no changes are made to it (apps, version, etc etc). It is stored as it has to be, in the internal 1Gb phone memory storage (called the "NAND").
- FreeX10 (2.2.1) is running from image files (like .ISO files) stored in your SD Card. This means the two Android are living together peacefully, without affecting (theorically) each other.
FreeX10 mainly creates a bootloader, for you to choose whether to test 2.2.1, or go back to 2.1 for your daily use.
- To run 2.2.1 : do nothing (default boot)
- To run 2.1 : press any key at boot, when it shows "Sony Ericsson".
Notes when upgrading to v0.0.2 :
- As Android is stored into image files (.IMG), upgrading will wipe out all your content (it does a fresh "install"), make backup of what you need !
- to avoid future bugs, altough you're not forced to do, do the routines to make sure Wifi, root, packages install, ... work. This is because USB debug can break, so you won't be able to use ADB to fix these bugs
- Root is strongly recommended to work, because it's cool and because the CPU performance is set to highest : stuck at 998MHz all the time, it will drain your battery like hell ! You can switch it back to original power saving plan (ondemand plan) by using (ie) SetCPU. Root required !
If your Android goes instable, does not work anymore, or you want a fresh install after lots of tests, simply drag and drop the original v0.0.2 .img files on your SD card. This will make you boot into a fully fresh install.
For all bugs, commands, etc.. Please go first to this excellent (and very easy) thread !!