Get the OnePlus 6 early at a pop-up event in your city →
FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

expand a nandroid img file

115 posts
Thanks Meter: 12
 
By smeyerhuky, Senior Member on 25th November 2010, 05:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
for those who do not know how to do this yet, follow directions given here.

Just took this info from the web. None of this except for the guide is written by me.
I am not responsible for anything please do not contact me if a green sludge starts attacking your neighborhood eating one person at a time.

************************************************** **********
************************************************** **********
************************************************** **********

http://code.google.com/p/unyaffs/downloads/list

made for linux, but if you know a bit of c, you can probably change it to work with windows, maybe I will do that if I have some time this week.


********OR********
http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/android...fs-x86-win.zip
or http://www.4shared.com/get/fgryPnPx/...s-windows.html


for windows..... instructions below apply for both

if not included in the zips above, cygwin1.dll and unyaffs.exe are included as an attachment of this reply.



open up a command line, in windows vista/7 just press start and then type cmd press enter and change the directory to the folder with the unyaffs and the img in it. in xp press start>run>cmd... then the same
the usage is: unyaffs /path/to/img

example:
(if unyaffs.exe and system.img are both in c:\temp)
"c:\temp> unyaffs /temp/system.img"

note: the '/' is the way linux determines the pathname of a file and since it is built using cygwin(a file allowing for windows) it is preferrable that the path to the actual file is in unix POSIX format ie: / instead of \ between folders and files.

*********WARNING************
this will extract to directory that unyaffs binary is in.
Attached Files
File Type: zip unyaffs-windows.zip - [Click for QR Code] (877.5 KB, 2028 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to smeyerhuky For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smeyerhuky Ad-Free
 
 
25th November 2010, 05:35 AM |#2  
decalex's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 1,457
 
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
That's so weird -- I was gonna post the same thing tonight. Thx for writing this up. It's odd that more people don't talk or ask about this tool!
25th November 2010, 05:37 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
I remember reading this stuff back when I got my G1, and tonight I was trolling the themes and apps section cause I couldnt sleep. (which I rarely look at)

I was baffled that this wasnt common knowledge. I figured if there was no threads about it that people just knew how and didnt have any problems with it. My mistake lol...

enjoy.
25th November 2010, 05:40 AM |#4  
ericizzy1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
can you please explain what is it? what it does? thanks
25th November 2010, 05:56 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericizzy1

can you please explain what is it? what it does? thanks

Umm, it expands nandroid img files not sure how else to explain it. Clockworkmod backups are in the img file format. This process allows you to extract those files to get stuff out of them

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
25th November 2010, 05:59 AM |#6  
decalex's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 1,457
 
Donate to Me
More
When you create a backup in Clockwork recovery, it leaves you with a folder like this:

2010-11-18.08.52.49
As you can prob figure out, I made that backup on 11/18 at 8:52am

Inside that folder are .img files, such as: data.img and system.img
Those files basically contain your data (like apps you've installed from market) and system (..system apps that might've come with the phone).

In the orig post, he's explaining how to extract the files from these large .img files.

To give an example, I had a couple of corrupted clockwork backups, and wanted to ONLY pull out some database files (like text messages and call logs) which were not corrupted. Even tho the backup was messed up, I could still extract the files I needed by using the method above, then copied them manually to my phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to decalex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift decalex Ad-Free
25th November 2010, 06:01 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by decalex

When you create a backup in Clockwork recovery, it leaves you with a folder like this:

2010-11-18.08.52.49
As you can prob figure out, I made that backup on 11/18 at 8:52am

Inside that folder are .img files, such as: data.img and system.img
Those files basically contain your data (like apps you've installed from market) and system (..system apps that might've come with the phone).

In the orig post, he's explaining how to extract the files from these large .img files.

To give an example, I had a couple of corrupted clockwork backups, and wanted to ONLY pull out some database files (like text messages and call logs) which were not corrupted. Even tho the backup was messed up, I could still extract the files I needed by using the method above, then copied them manually to my phone.


thx

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
25th November 2010, 06:08 AM |#8  
sniperkill's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Maryland
Thanks Meter: 322
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyerhuky

Umm, it expands nandroid img files not sure how else to explain it. Clockworkmod backups are in the img file format. This process allows you to extract those files to get stuff out of them

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Right, like if you wanted a file or a few files from clockworkmod img backup, then this process would give you an extended file system, other than what you would normally use to extract the img files. Just trying to understand this so, please correct me if im wrong.... I've been trying to get more knowledge of this, so im still learning.

I prolly sound like a complete idiot, lol...
25th November 2010, 02:45 PM |#9  
codest3r's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Sweet! Thanks for this man. I'd been looking for how to do this for some time and kept ending up learning about emulation or some other tangential topic. This is the basic functionality I was looking for. Thanks for posting!
25th November 2010, 04:52 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Np. I'm working on writing some stuff on top of the source code that should allow you to browse and pull just one our more file
Its been a but since I looked theory source code so it might take a while... Maybe in between semesters?


Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
14th October 2011, 08:45 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Flag Jeddah
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Dode you saved my as** thx big thx
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nandroid img extract

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes