FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Difference between nandroid backup & Titanium backup?

72 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By emigre, Member on 27th November 2010, 09:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty confused of the difference between a nandroid backup and Titanium backup.

My understanding is:
nandroid = kind of a restore point for the phone with all system, apps and user data.
Titanium backup = same thing, but with options to choose what to back up.

So why do you need 2 of the same thing if they both perform exactly the same thing? Eventually, we'll probably be using the backup to restore those datas in case we want to flash new ROMs.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you for the info!
The Following User Says Thank You to emigre For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift emigre Ad-Free

28th November 2010, 12:44 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 125

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emigre

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty confused of the difference between a nandroid backup and Titanium backup.

My understanding is:
nandroid = kind of a restore point for the phone with all system, apps and user data.
Titanium backup = same thing, but with options to choose what to back up.

So why do you need 2 of the same thing if they both perform exactly the same thing? Eventually, we'll probably be using the backup to restore those datas in case we want to flash new ROMs.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you for the info!

You don't need two of the same thing. I haven't used titanium but nandroid is a, if you will, what-you-see-is-what-you-get backup....what I mean by this is it will back up your phone in the exact state it is...you can't choose to exclude this or that, etc. I prefer mybackup pro because the one time I used titanium I couldn't figure out what to do cuz the GUI was so scrub. That's just me tho.

Sent From My HTC Aria Using XDA App
28th November 2010, 01:07 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
I think the main difference is that nandroid will restore everything back the way it was through recovery. With Titanium Backup, you can backup your apps+data and restore them if you flash a new ROM. So like if you upgrade to the latest version of CM6 or Liberated, you can carry your apps over. If you restore the nandroid, it will restore the old ROM too.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to blindfusion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blindfusion Ad-Free
28th November 2010, 03:19 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Thanks for the response guys.

@blindfusion: I think you just pointed out the main difference there. I didn't think of it that way, the old ROM would also be flashed!

@zervic: Now I think I'll need to get my hands on a backup app. Will check out backup Pro!

Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to emigre For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift emigre Ad-Free
28th November 2010, 07:08 AM |#5  
Flag Central Cali
Thanks Meter: 11

More
under nandroid/advanced restore, there's an option to restore data. not sure how it differs from titanium. i think titanium let's you pick the apps to back up. nandroid just backs up everything.
30th November 2010, 07:23 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
So does nandroid also give us the option to restore data (ie. Saved apps, datas, etc) under advanced without flashing the old ROM back in?
For example if i were to flash a newer ROM (FR007 for instance), then i'd be able to have access and restore ALL the backed up data in nandroid? And have a newer version of the OS?
Am i missing something here? I guess i just want to keep my aria light and avoid installing apps i absoloutely do not need. To keep it zippy and maintain precious internal memory.
Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my HTC Liberty using XDA App
30th November 2010, 06:10 PM |#7  
Flag Central Cali
Thanks Meter: 11

More
that's how i've restored apps/data after updating rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to FZ1Darren For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FZ1Darren Ad-Free
1st December 2010, 03:40 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
Thanks for the confirmation Darren!
2nd June 2011, 05:58 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Just to confirm that means that if I use titanium backup, it can backup the exact same things as Nandroid backup but you can use it for your new ROM?
2nd June 2011, 12:32 PM |#10  
Flag in the mountains of south east tennessee
Thanks Meter: 333

More
No titanium backs up app and their data only.nandroid is a full system image.

Sent from my Liberty using XDA App
2nd June 2011, 01:10 PM |#11  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidlover123

Just to confirm that means that if I use titanium backup, it can backup the exact same things as Nandroid backup but you can use it for your new ROM?

Always make both before flashing a new ROM. If everything goes according to plan, run Titanium to restore all your apps into the new ROM. If something goes wrong, you can use Nandroid to restore your phone to pre-flash state.

Also, you should copy the Nandroid file to your computer. If your phone is ever lost or stolen and you get a new one, you can restore it to your old phone's image.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STaria For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift STaria Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)