FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Unlocking Rooted Vibrant

64 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By molson24, Member on 28th November 2010, 09:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Can anyone tell me, if it is okay to unlock a rooted vibrant?

I read somewhere on a forum on this site, that it is not recommended.

I just bought a phone but it has come rooted and I need it unlocked to use with a different carrier, so I do not have choice.

Any suggestions? Or should it be okay?

28th November 2010, 09:39 PM |#2  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 37

Donate to Me
More
Un root it

Constantly drinking
28th November 2010, 10:52 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Are all devices rooted the same?

I bought this phone off ebay, so I am not sure how this person rooted it.

Would this method for unrooting shown on this link work... no matter how this person rooted the phone... h tt p://droiditude.com/?p=6
28th November 2010, 11:43 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
What is the best method of unrooting...

Odin 3? Or is there any other methods that are better?
29th November 2010, 04:34 AM |#5  
Flag Brookshire TX
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson24

What is the best method of unrooting...

Odin 3? Or is there any other methods that are better?

I unlocked mine with no problems while already rooted.
you mostly have a problem if your using JI6 firmware or above.
if your still on JFD unlocking is incredibly easy theres actualy an app in the market for it.
but after you update to JI6 then you have to use the slightly more complicated method but it workes rooted or not.

also if you really feel like you must unroot then the galaxys rooter app on the market has an option for unrooting to make it easy.
but do note that if you've updated to JI6 then even unrooted people have trouble unlocking normaly.
29th November 2010, 05:51 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Okay that is good to know.

What is J16? Sorry I am new to this!

This is my first smart phone or whatever you want to call it... My other phone was a peice of **** flip phone i just used for texting. lol.

I'll ask the person on ebay who sold it to me, if he added J16 and find out.

I know the phone is running Froyo 2.2, which is stated when I bought it.

So you would try and unlock it while its rooted? I heard also that if I were to unroot it, I would have to take off the Froyo2.2 which is currently running, then unroot it, and then use the one click unroot program. Or would I just use Odin3 and that would be fine? Sorry for all the questions... I am getting the phone in a few days so that is why.
29th November 2010, 05:59 AM |#7  
Flag Brookshire TX

More
Quote:

Okay that is good to know.

What is J16? Sorry I am new to this!

This is my first smart phone or whatever you want to call it... My other phone was a peice of **** flip phone i just used for texting. lol.

I'll ask the person on ebay who sold it to me, if he added J16 and find out.

So you would try and unlock it while its rooted? I heard also that if I were to unroot it, I would have to take off the Froyo2.2 which is currently running, then unroot it, and then use the one click unroot program. Or would I just use Odin3 and that would be fine? Sorry for all the questions... I am getting the phone in a few days so that is why.

if its rooted with 2.2, then odin would work right off to get you back to 2.1 and would also unroot you.
if its running froyo then thats actually a step beyond JI6 which is 2.1 (eclair)
I unlocked my phone while rooted on JI6, but I cant say for sure weather it would work on a 2.2 rom.
so to be safe you should probably Odin back to 2.1 if you feel safe using Odin, or you can follow a guide to flashing back to 2.1, its more complicated but doesent involve Odin (some people just dont like Odin)

unless anyone else who has unlocked while rooted on 2.2 wants to chime in?
29th November 2010, 06:02 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
Yes I know forsure its running on Froyo 2.2.
29th November 2010, 06:11 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
What is the risk of running Odin? And why are people afraid of using it? lol

I just downloaded both Odin and the one click root and unrooter program.

Odin seems more easier to me...

I just want to be certain I am using the right files and roms with whatever method I choose.

So How would I use Odin to bring it back to 2.1?

I wouldent mind doing either way... W/e way works the best.

I found this video showing how to flash it using Odin... Would this work?

http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnY7P14JSWQ
29th November 2010, 06:35 AM |#10  
Flag Brookshire TX

More
when you get the phone dial *#7465256# and if it all says off then your phones already unlocked so ignore the rest of this.

otherwise heres a step by step as best as I can figure for you:

1. Use Odin to get back to stock JFD or use the flashing method:
make sure there is no lagfix enabled!! (you might ask the guy whos selling it if he had one, or search the sd card for a lagfix folder or something)

1.1 Odin Method
Download these files and follow Justanothercrowd's instructions to install and use Odin by going here (these files will get you back to JFD 2.1 stock unrooted

1.2 Flashing Method (I've never done this myself so I'll let someone else post instructions if you dont want to use Odin)

2. Follow these instructions to unlock (specificaly by helroz, if you need to, read ahead and see what problems other people have had though)

3. dial *#7465256# in the dialer (as soon as you hit the last # it should work)
make sure everything says off (this means your unlocked)

4. Reroot your phone using one of two methods:

4.1 the guide found here

4.2 Or download the galaxy s rooter app or OCLF app from the market and follow the instructions in the app.

5. download the rom of your choice (If you would rather stay with the stock one then ignore the rest)

6. without unzipping or doing anything to the rom file, place it on the root of your internal sd card (the big one. it should be 13 GB or so)

7. download and install rom manager from the market.

8. open rom manager and choose the first option (flash clockworkmod recovery)
choos the samsung vibrant as your phone and wait, it will probably take a few minutes.

9. choose the second option in Rom manager (reboot into clockworkmod recovery)
the first time you do this you'll boot back into stock recovery, just hit reinstall packages and it will reboot into clockworkmod.

10. choos install zip from sd card.

11. choose the rom file you downloaded and wait while it installs

12. choose the option to reboot the device.

13 enjoy your unlocked rooted phone running your choice of roms.

EDIT: Make sure you have ADB (Android Debug Bridge) installed on your computer before running the script.
Also make sure that you have USB debugging checked by hitting (from the home screen) Menu >> Settings >> Applications >> Development >> USB Debugging

You can download and install the Android SDK (Software Development Kit) by following the instructions here
This will also install ADB.

another good idea is to make a backup of your efs file (I beleive this is in the instructions for running the script, but I thought I should say it again)
just in case something goes wrong.
this file is located in: the root of your data partition if I remember correctly, it should be labeled "efs"
you can use a root file manager (I use root explorer but it is a paid app) or you can use ADB to pull it.

you can also try this method by going here
and following the directions. ( I have not tested this method myself)

EDIT 2: you may want to download the drivers for your phone as well, if you haven't already that is.
you can get them here
29th November 2010, 06:47 AM |#11  
Flag Brookshire TX

More
Quote:

What is the risk of running Odin? And why are people afraid of using it? lol

I just downloaded both Odin and the one click root and unrooter program.

Odin seems more easier to me...

I just want to be certain I am using the right files and roms with whatever method I choose.

So How would I use Odin to bring it back to 2.1?

I wouldent mind doing either way... W/e way works the best.

I found this video showing how to flash it using Odin... Would this work?

http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnY7P14JSWQ

Odin is kinda quirky sometimes.
some people have trouble getting it to recognize their device, or have trouble getting into download mode stuff like that.
its really not that hard to use, its just scary looking if something goes wrong lol
but if you really mess things up, Odin is what you end up using to fix it
and theres really not much that you cant fix with Odin aside from hardware failure.

that youtube video should work great
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)