FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Toshiba folio 100 users - general info

53 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By mhgonzalez, Member on 1st December 2010, 06:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Dear Toshiba Folio 100 user.

I have created this thread to use it as a place it discuss all ideas, suggestions, problems, improvements about this device. In this way we can clean some of the general issues in the Dexter ROM thread.

Regards
Marcelo
The Following User Says Thank You to mhgonzalez For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mhgonzalez Ad-Free

1st December 2010, 06:50 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Applications using the big screen ?
Looking for the best (screen usage) for email and calendar.

The email client in 1.0b is the default one for Android, looking at the email client in Samsung Tab its much better at using the big screen. Also the Folio is much better with white/light background as the "stock" email-client does not have.
Any pointer to a better app ?

The calendar app is much better and uses the screen much better.

Please write about your experiences with apps that works with big screens and works good on the Folio.

/\/\artin
1st December 2010, 07:03 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
where do you find email client samsung???
1st December 2010, 07:23 PM |#4  
Flag Nyköping
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Using Startup Manager, would it be possible to disable the phone service or would that result in a nuclear explosion or something like it? i mean, is android dependant on it one way or another, or would it be safe to disable it?
1st December 2010, 07:24 PM |#5  

More
why foliomod ?
Hi to all

mhgonzalez great idea to create this "general" post.

I bought two folio for as Christmas gift, now they are hidden .. but, when I can, I do some test.

I never used android till now but I'm trying to understand why I should install foliomod. During my little usage I didn't find any bug, I only wasn't able to open a ebook (.epub) using the default reader (and I have put the file in the Books folder, anyway) but I suppose it's only because I need to improve my "knowledge".

But at the moment no bugs where find, all the apps installed work properly, wifi it's ok and, after I installed flash plug-in, browsing is ok too.

Not only but I was able to find the few app I saw googoling around the web.

What the folio mod make me able to do more than this ?
1st December 2010, 07:25 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgonzalez

where do you find email client samsung???

It can be downloaded from
www(dot)gunsforgeeks(dot)com/Email.apk
but it does NOT work on the Folio

/\/\artin
1st December 2010, 07:34 PM |#7  
Flag Nyköping

More
[FIX] Background picture correctly scaled.
Download the app "Multipicture Live Wallpaper" from the market, enable it, and set the background image you want in the settings. YAY! HiRes background

picture
1st December 2010, 07:54 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1999

It can be downloaded from
www(dot)gunsforgeeks(dot)com/Email.apk
but it does NOT work on the Folio

/\/\artin

That is one of my frustrations. The current email.apk on the folio, as well as the calender, look pretty terrible. In email, I can't even scroll through the different emails, everytime I have to open a message, read, close and open the next. Even on the (rather basic) email.apk on the Galaxy S I have small arrows on top with which I can scroll through to the next or previous message. The Galaxy-TAB email.apk doesn't work (well) on the SGS either.

Also, Samsung have another email-client from com7, I'can;t get that version installed ( a specific Samsung version with great HTML-email-presentation, but alas, missing scroll-arrows also). I'll check the com7-site to see if they have a more general Android version of their email-app and come back on that one.

So if anyone has an other email.apk which works on the Folio, let me know.
1st December 2010, 07:56 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakkio

Hi to all

mhgonzalez great idea to create this "general" post.

I bought two folio for as Christmas gift, now they are hidden .. but, when I can, I do some test.

I never used android till now but I'm trying to understand why I should install foliomod. During my little usage I didn't find any bug, I only wasn't able to open a ebook (.epub) using the default reader (and I have put the file in the Books folder, anyway) but I suppose it's only because I need to improve my "knowledge".

But at the moment no bugs where find, all the apps installed work properly, wifi it's ok and, after I installed flash plug-in, browsing is ok too.

Not only but I was able to find the few app I saw googoling around the web.

What the folio mod make me able to do more than this ?

Dear Kakkio.

Modding the most important in my case was to be able to download application from Android Market, reason why the Toshiba Market is a joke. It depend on what will you do with the Folio. If it is only to browse internet and reading book, dont mod. If you need more, I recomend to mod.
1st December 2010, 08:23 PM |#10  

More
dear mhgonzalez

tnx for your answer, in a few word you give me axactly the info I needed.

Mainly I'll use the tablet to read, listen music, watch video and browsing... but I like to "play" so, after a few, I'm sure I'll go to install foliomod...

In this moment I'm installing android emulator on my ubuntu in order to get a little bit more involved.

TnX again

Kakkio
1st December 2010, 08:28 PM |#11  

More
I quote a post from "pekka91166" from the dexter section because I think is perfect for this section ...

"...I agree with one of the earlier posts on Android (especially Tegra2) tablets versus others, including iPad.

If you're simpoly looking for a tablet which works and works very well, get yourself an iPad. And accept it's a pretty much closed OS.

If you're looking for a working Android tab, go for the SGT, although I'm not sure how well the TAB is working.

With all these tegra2 tablets, we're in for some disturbing months. Right now, these products all seem to suffer from pre-release firmwares which haven't been adapted well enough to the powerful (and partly cheap) hardwarechoices the various suppliers have chosen.
In the case of the Folio100, I knew very well I was buying a product with factory-default rubbish FW, but after reading Dexter's posts I figured it was worth trying, playing, failing and reinstalling.
All in all, I'm happy with the Folio, it's definitely NOT the product is should become, but pretty decent workeable and, last but nost least, FUN (and irritating at the same time).

I just hope Toshiba will, at some point, come with an acceptable FW AND that, in the meantime, Dexter and others will be able to cook some nice firmwares based on 2.2.

The Folio FEELS at some point very powerful, so the Tegra2 should be able to perform, but most of the times it seems lazy. For me a clear indication its the firmware of the machine. Unfortunately, it's a bit the same with a Galaxy S-phone. Powerhouse, but the firmware (2.2) is yet not there to unleash the full power.

Let's hope we'll get 2.3 running on our Tosh and that it supports dual-cores. I expect until then we'll have a nice (and often frustrating) toy to fiddle around with....."
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)