FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

ScreenCaptureService

114 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By coasterman927, Senior Member on 9th December 2010, 02:07 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I was messing with my phone, showing off JK6 and all it's glory to a friend of mine who also has a Vibrant, when suddenly the phone lagged a bit and I heard a camera shutter. Then a little pop-up came up saying the screen capture had been saved. I look in my gallery, and lo and behold, it actually screen captured! And I'm not even rooted! I look in my running applications, and there it is, ScreenCaptureService (com.sec.android.app.screencapture).

Now after a good half hour of Googling, I found out that the Tab can take screenshots by holding down the back button then hitting the power button. But I wasn't even near the power button when it happened, so that couldn't be it. I also found that in the leaked Froyo builds for the Epic 4G, a few people had the same thing with a ScreenCaptureService in their running applications. Someone mentioned you had to hold down the back button then hit home to capture, but I tried pretty much all the methods under the sun and to no avail.

Has anyone else stumbled upon this and/or found out what the key combo is?
9th December 2010, 05:06 AM |#2  
Flag Diamond Bar, CA
Thanks Meter: 371

Donate to Me
More
it's a mystery.. lol but we all follow the same pattern.. we discovered it by accident once but never able to duplicate it again..
9th December 2010, 06:04 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 229

More
Happened 3 times. Couldnt duplicate it
9th December 2010, 07:51 AM |#4  
Flag Diamond Bar, CA
Thanks Meter: 371

Donate to Me
More
how? i know i was pressing down the back button to exit zedge... then click! picture saved i dont really know what triggered it other than the back button was involved..
9th December 2010, 08:12 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have tried to duplicate this as well since I have come across it many times. When you guys figure it out let me know! Lol

Sent from my SGH-T959
9th December 2010, 04:13 PM |#6  
Charlotte NC
Thanks Meter: 71

More
I have noticed this too and ONLY when I am in the messaging app. I can be typing something and it randomly takes a screenshot. I dont know what combination of keys are used but Its kinda annoying and I would like to turn it off without completely removing it.
10th December 2010, 02:48 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Just happened to me and by reading the thread it's random as hell. I was in the "Location and Security" settings and I heard the camera shutter sound. Like everyone else I tried to duplicate it and couldn't.
10th December 2010, 04:46 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterman927

So I was messing with my phone, showing off JK6 and all it's glory to a friend of mine who also has a Vibrant, when suddenly the phone lagged a bit and I heard a camera shutter. Then a little pop-up came up saying the screen capture had been saved. I look in my gallery, and lo and behold, it actually screen captured! And I'm not even rooted! I look in my running applications, and there it is, ScreenCaptureService (com.sec.android.app.screencapture).

Now after a good half hour of Googling, I found out that the Tab can take screenshots by holding down the back button then hitting the power button. But I wasn't even near the power button when it happened, so that couldn't be it. I also found that in the leaked Froyo builds for the Epic 4G, a few people had the same thing with a ScreenCaptureService in their running applications. Someone mentioned you had to hold down the back button then hit home to capture, but I tried pretty much all the methods under the sun and to no avail.

Has anyone else stumbled upon this and/or found out what the key combo is?

Pressing the back and power button started the screencaptureservice but did not take a screen shot. I killed it in running services and tried pretty much every button combo, nothing... Pressed back and power button again and sreencaptureservice is running again, but still no screenshots...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
15th December 2010, 10:20 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbz106

Pressing the back and power button started the screencaptureservice but did not take a screen shot. I killed it in running services and tried pretty much every button combo, nothing... Pressed back and power button again and sreencaptureservice is running again, but still no screenshots...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

yes, looks like BACK and POWER call for screencapture service. so anyone figured out how to actually take one ?
15th December 2010, 10:29 PM |#10  
Flag N.C.
Thanks Meter: 1,152

Donate to Me
More
It's so funny to me how this forum is loaded with so many intelligent people and we can't figure this out. For those who did get it to work, are you stock or on a custom rom?

When I try back + power I am not able to get the screencapture app to open. My custom ROM does have the .apk included though.

It would be nice to see if we can get this working for those who do not want a 3rd party app or root.... plus, I dont think any other android phone has this feature.
15th December 2010, 11:10 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s15274n

It's so funny to me how this forum is loaded with so many intelligent people and we can't figure this out. For those who did get it to work, are you stock or on a custom rom?

When I try back + power I am not able to get the screencapture app to open. My custom ROM does have the .apk included though.

It would be nice to see if we can get this working for those who do not want a 3rd party app or root.... plus, I dont think any other android phone has this feature.

there is no screen capture app. (there is apk file). all it does is launch the service. I suppose there is some sort of weird key press combinations to actually take the shot
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)