FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

The Sony Ericsson Aspen Troubleshooting Thread – Calling all WM Masterminds!

50 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By melaskalany, Member on 11th December 2010, 10:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Specifications:
  • Unit: Sony Ericsson Aspen M1a (Different UMTS bands than those of the M1i)
  • Software ID: 1238-7064
  • Software Version: R1AB038
  • Customization ID: 1237 - 4794
  • Customization Version: R7A
  • Software Language: GENERIC_WWE
  • Content Version: PA6
  • Radio SW Version: 32.29.00.048
  • CE OS 5.2.3104 (Build 23104.5.3.4)
Major Cons:
  1. Turn off backlight after 30 seconds turns off the screen completely. The X1 would go dim but the screen is still on. The Aspen turns off the screen. Maybe I got a lemon? Can any other Aspen users comment on this?
  2. Incoming Calls: Unable to receive calls. The phone will be working just fine for days. Then suddenly, you receive one call, the phone and keypad will light up, but the home screen will not change to show the Caller ID/Actions screen. You will have to first reject the call, then go to the call register to see who called you and call them back. You can still make calls, but you can never receive any on any of the installed panels once the problem appears. Only a Soft Reset can fix it until it happens again day(s) later.
  3. Bluetooth issues: disconnections, static noise, stuck at connected to headset mode even if headset was turned off.
Tested & Running Smoothly:
  1. Opera Mini 5
  2. Opera Mobile 10
  3. Garmin Mobile XT
    Bug: Splash screen and main menu don’t cover the full screen. A thin strip of the home screen appears below the upper status bar (clock, battery, volume, signal). However, Map View doesn’t suffer from the same problem; i.e. it covers the whole screen.
  4. SPB Backup (Free download available for Aspen phone at wap.sonyericsson.com/fun/)
  5. All my previously purchased Marketplace applications for my dead X1i.
  6. Windows Live Mobile Version 11.x
    Bug: Hotmail Email checking from native messaging application doesn’t detect Wi-Fi connections. Solution: Sync Email via the Sync function built in the Windows Live application or sign into Windows Live Messenger Mobile before attempting to send/receive messages.
  7. Skype Panel: Pulled from the website mentioned in 4, comes preloaded on M1i. Thanks for U.b.o.o.t for uploading the Cab file for me. Tested and running perfectly on the M1a. Panel based on Skype for Windows Mobile Version 3; SMS texting from Skype account to cell phone numbers is available.

On-the-Road Panel
Pros:
  1. The panel now supports choosing any of the installed applications as the default Maps (Navigation) application.
  2. Speedometer works without having to press the “track” button. In the X1 version of the panel you had to have an active track recording for the GPS section of the panel to display current speed. Kind of neat but also means that your GPS chip is powered on, which means more power consumption.
Cons:
  1. Apparently, Night Mode is somehow bricked by the Power saving features of the Aspen. The phone turns the screen off after 30 seconds even if Night Mode is ON. It doesn’t, however, power off the device or send it to standby; i.e. you can wake up the screen by pressing any button not necessarily the Power button.
  2. Playback is bricked! Player stops at the end of each track. Play/Pause button shows “Pause” graphic, as if the player is still playing, when the track reaches its end and player doesn’t move on to next track. Clicking next takes you to the next track but it will be stopped. You have to press play to start playing again. Disabling File System Caching, increasing cache size to max (8 Mb), deleting On-the-Road Panel cache files, soft reset, three Master resets and uninstall/reinstall don’t fix the problem.

12th December 2010, 01:34 AM |#2  
hi, I think you have posted in X1. But I think it's ok because I can see that XDA don't have M1 forum.
I like M1 model. As usual SE phone, it's beautiful phone. But I'm just afraid SE will be creepy again like its previous WM phone so I cancel my idea of buying M1. Let me answer what I know to your questions.

Quote:

[*]Incoming Calls: Unable to receive calls. The phone will be working just fine for days. Then suddenly, you receive one call, the phone and keypad will light up, but the home screen will not ave to first reject the call, then go to the call register to see who called you and call them back. You can still make calls, but you can never receive any on any of the installed panels once the problem appears. Only a Soft Reset can fix it until it happens again day(s) later.

To my experience in XPERIA, X2 has problems in its dialer. I don't know if it will be working in M1 but may I suggest you a dialer application? There's a plenty of dialer, i.e. Iconsoft PhonEx but it's paid. I think there're other dialers which is coming free. Maybe you can make a googling.

Quote:

[*]Garmin Mobile XT
Bug: Splash screen and main menu don’t cover the full screen. A thin strip of the home screen appears below the upper status bar (clock, battery, volume, signal). However, Map View doesn’t suffer from the same problem; i.e. it covers the whole screen.

It is happened to all WM6.5.x, not only Aspen. Because the Garmin Xt (I suggest the 5.00) isn't designed to WM6.5.x but WM6.1 and WM6.5 which its taskbar is bigger than WM6.5. Solution maybe you can try other navigation applications. I haven't checked for TomTom or NaviGon.
[*]Windows Live Mobile Version 11.x
Bug: Hotmail Email checking from native messaging application doesn’t detect Wi-Fi connections. Solution: Sync Email via the Sync function built in the Windows Live application or sign into Windows Live Messenger Mobile before attempting to send/receive messages.[*]Skype Panel: Pulled from the website mentioned in 4, comes preloaded on M1i. Thanks for U.b.o.o.t for uploading the Cab file for me. Tested and running perfectly on the M1a. Panel based on Skype for Windows Mobile Version 3; SMS texting from Skype account to cell phone numbers is available.[/LIST]
Quote:

[*]Playback is bricked! Player stops at the end of each track. Play/Pause button shows “Pause” graphic, as if the player is still playing, when the track reaches its end and player doesn’t move on to next track. Clicking next takes you to the next track but it will be stopped. You have to press play to start playing again. Disabling File System Caching, increasing cache size to max (8 Mb), deleting On-the-Road Panel cache files, soft reset, three Master resets and uninstall/reinstall don’t fix the problem.[/LIST]

I suggest that is another SE problems, just like X2, the SlideView isn't working well. I can suggest you to remove the SlideView by deleting the files and registry manually. Or you may disable the SlideView from startup, if iy's about the same with X2, the registry location is HKLM/init --> look for launch199
tap it and delete the registry inside.
13th December 2010, 09:04 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Giza

More
Question Thanks, ideas and more questions!
Hi Russell. Thank you for all the tips and solutions you offered.

As for why I posted in the X1 general forum, it's mainly because I was an X1 user until its Tx/Rx Power Amplifier chip died on me. I only use it as a PPC now. I thought the thread could be helpful for current M1 users on XDA (and they are growing in number) as well as for X1/X2 users who are considering a migration (I can't call it an upgrade really) or those of them who are just curious, since the software is identical.

Here is my reply to your solutions and suggestions:
  • The Incoming Call problem: It doesn't seem to happen if you're using the Sony Ericsson Panel! A good solution too will be disabling the XPERIA dialer on the M1 and using the default WM6.5.3 dialer. I will give it a try.
  • Garmin Mobile XT: Thanks for the explanation. I recently purchased Garmin City Navigator Maps for the Middle East and Northern Africa NT, investing US $100, to use them on my phone. The application itself is running flawlessly and has all the features that I need (trip computer, flight status, weather, etc...) so I will just keep it. A work around for the problem will be launching Garmin from the Sony Ericsson Panel. The black background will make the strip black and you will not notice any discontinuity. Using a black background on your Today screen won't hide the problem though; the text showing the date will still appear.
  • Did you notice that I was talking about the Music Player in the "On-the-Road" Panel and not Slideview? Slideview is working just fine on my phone. In fact it's perfect with no bugs whatsoever. It's the player found on the second tab on the "On-the-Road" Panel that is not working properly. I thought about this yesterday; maybe uninstalling Slideview will fix the problem, since the system is using it as the default media player. I have two suggestions regarding this issue:
    1. A workaround will be using Slideview to play music. But then again, just like its elder sibling, The Media Xperiance Panel, Slideview doesn't recognise multi-disc albums; i.e. it doesn't play tracks from a multi-disc album in order. It plays one track from the first disc then one from the second then goes back to the first and so on (i.e. 1-01 > 2-01 > 1-02 > 2-02 >...... 1-n > 2-m) instead of playing disc 1 first (1-01 > 1-02 >.....> 1-n), then disc 2 (2-01 > 2-02 >.....> 2-m).

The player in "On-the-Road" Panel on my X1 recognised multi-disc albums and played them in order. I don't see any reason for SE developers changing the playback section of the code for the M1 version of the Panel. But then again, now that the Panel supports choosing any of the installed programs as the default Map application, there is a possibility that the code received a comprehensive overhaul.

2. Is there a way to force Windows Media Player as the default media player? A registry setting maybe?! Because I am guessing that the panel player is calling Slideview with a wrong parameter or a parameter that is only valid for Windows Media Player and that's what is causing the panel player to freeze at the end of every track? Or maybe it's still calling Windows Media Player but somehow Slideview has crippled it?
17th December 2010, 11:00 AM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaskalany

Hi Russell. Thank you for all the tips and solutions you offered.

As for why I posted in the X1 general forum, it's mainly because I was an X1 user until its Tx/Rx Power Amplifier chip died on me. I only use it as a PPC now. I thought the thread could be helpful for current M1 users on XDA (and they are growing in number) as well as for X1/X2 users who are considering a migration (I can't call it an upgrade really) or those of them who are just curious, since the software is identical.

Here is my reply to your solutions and suggestions:

• The Incoming Call problem: It doesn't seem to happen if you're using the Sony Ericsson Panel! A good solution too will be disabling the XPERIA dialer on the M1 and using the default WM6.5.3 dialer. I will give it a try.
  • Garmin Mobile XT: Thanks for the explanation. I recently purchased Garmin City Navigator Maps for the Middle East and Northern Africa NT, investing US $100, to use them on my phone. The application itself is running flawlessly and has all the features that I need (trip computer, flight status, weather, etc...) so I will just keep it. A work around for the problem will be launching Garmin from the Sony Ericsson Panel. The black background will make the strip black and you will not notice any discontinuity. Using a black background on your Today screen won't hide the problem though; the text showing the date will still appear.
  • Did you notice that I was talking about the Music Player in the "On-the-Road" Panel and not Slideview? Slideview is working just fine on my phone. In fact it's perfect with no bugs whatsoever. It's the player found on the second tab on the "On-the-Road" Panel that is not working properly. I thought about this yesterday; maybe uninstalling Slideview will fix the problem, since the system is using it as the default media player. I have two suggestions regarding this issue:
    1. A workaround will be using slide view to play music. But then again, just like its elder sibling, The Media Xperiance Panel, Slideview doesn't recognise multi-disc albums; i.e. it doesn't play tracks from a multi-disc album in order. It plays one track from the first disc then one from the second then goes back to the first and so on (i.e. 1-01 > 2-01 > 1-02 > 2-02 >...... 1-n > 2-m) instead of playing disc 1 first (1-01 > 1-02 >.....> 1-n), then disc 2 (2-01 > 2-02 >.....> 2-m).

The player in "On-the-Road" Panel on my X1 recognised multi-disc albums and played them in order. I don't see any reason for SE developers changing the playback section of the code for the M1 version of the Panel. But then again, now that the Panel supports choosing any of the installed programs as the default Map application, there is a possibility that the code received a comprehensive overhaul.

2. Is there a way to force Windows Media Player as the default media player? A registry setting maybe?! Because I am guessing that the panel player is calling Slideview with a wrong parameter or a parameter that is only valid for Windows Media Player and that's what is causing the panel player to freeze at the end of every track? Or maybe it's still calling Windows Media Player but somehow Slideview has crippled it?

Hmmm, i don't realize that Garmin is that Expensive. I live in Indonesia and there're developer who offer the map of my country for free and I have the Garmin XT salvaged from my previous O2 XDA phone.

Sorry I might be confused about the SlideView because it's pretty long thread. For X2, yeah there is away to force the phone use WMP as default. All you need is disabling the SlideView from startup using registry, then use an application(s) like Resco File Explorer, SKTools and many other apps... and then set every multimedia files which is associated to SlideView, to WMP.
31st March 2011, 06:20 PM |#5  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Aspen is very fast wm I ever use.
10th April 2011, 08:05 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Skype panel cab?
Hi there. It is strange that my aspen does not come with skype panel loaded. Anyone has the cab for that? i try using X1 panel but does not work. Thanks!
5th May 2011, 10:44 AM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Giza

More
Skype Panel for Sony Ericsson Aspen
Here is the Skype.cab installer for the Sony Ericsson Aspen Panel Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: cab Skype Panel.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (6.77 MB, 124 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to melaskalany For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift melaskalany Ad-Free
15th May 2011, 06:17 AM |#8  

More
Talking Thanks a lot
WOW! thanks a lot melaskalany!!! do you have other useful panel such as facebook, tweeter, on the road etc? if yes it would finally complete my aspen! thanks a lot!
18th January 2012, 09:27 AM |#9  

More
Hello,

can you pls upload on the road Panel cab, as my Aspen does not have it preloaded.....even tried using X1 panel but its of no use.

Thank you.
30th January 2012, 11:14 PM |#10  
Flag Sabah
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
Sony Ericsson Aspen Touch Screen Problem
Does anyone knows how to solve this?. My Aspen's touchscreen is not working ,it does respond to touch but it only lights up the screen and things are not moving. Now i am using my keypad. Or are there any alternative if the screen cannot be repaired? like a keypad friendly UI or cursor controlled by the keypad?
7th February 2012, 07:44 PM |#11  

More
Never yet had touchscreen problems although the touchscreen on the Aspen isn't the most responsive I've seen. I've heard there are quite a few problems with the Aspen, have you tried the SE tech support?
Anyone managed to install TCPMP on the Aspen? The old version I had which worked fine on 6.1 doen't want to work on Aspen's 6.5 and neither does the latest beta 0.74.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)