FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[App] rsync backup for Android

33 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By mkowalczuk, Member on 13th December 2010, 11:12 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
I just wanted you to inform you about my first Android application: rsync backup for Android. It is available in Market (for free, ad-supported).

Comments, suggestions, feature requests and bug reports are welcomed.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mkowalczuk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mkowalczuk Ad-Free

13th December 2010, 01:16 PM |#2  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,191

More
Just curious about your instructions.... You mention generating keys multiple times, but not sure why?

Typically to use ssh keys, one must generate keys on the client, transfer the public key of the client to the server. Then the client can connect into the server using the certificate rather than passphrase authentication.

Your instructions confused me.. It could be due to not having coffee yet, but might want to streamline the info a bit or users might never get to actually using it.

I'll try it myself later, as I already do this but curious how you've done it on your end. Here's what I run manually about once a week from GScript:

Quote:

rsync -rltDv --delete --chmod=u=rwX,g=rX,o=rX --exclude=".android_secure" --exclude "Music" -e "sshfixed -l user -y -i /sdcard/bin/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key" /mnt/sdcard [email protected]:/media3/android/microsd/rsync-backup/hourly.0/

And the server itself does a hard-link copy and move of directory names etc which maintains a set of 4 snapshots, I also do the same thing for my backups on the machines themselves.. Handy to find stuff I just realized I hosed a month ago..

Biggest annoyance was having to dupliate ssh (dropbear) and fix it so it uses /dev/urandom, as /dev/random isn't a viable source for ssh.
13th December 2010, 01:33 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
These are three different ways of generating private+public key pair. I'll add some description, because it could be confusing, as you said.
13th December 2010, 02:29 PM |#4  
Flag Central Kentucky

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _sammael_

These are three different ways of generating private+public key pair. I'll add some description, because it could be confusing, as you said.

Ah, yes that makes more sense, give them options on how to generate the keys.. However, you can only create keys on the client itself, one mention seemed like it was referring to using a Linux box to create them?
13th December 2010, 02:32 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
You can always generate keys on Linux box, then transfer private key to your Android and append public key to authorized_keys.
13th December 2010, 08:06 PM |#6  
Flag Central Kentucky

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _sammael_

You can always generate keys on Linux box, then transfer private key to your Android and append public key to authorized_keys.

To connect from Linux to Android... Yes. But pretty sure that won't work for Android to Linux, which is what I'd think you'd normally do?
13th December 2010, 08:56 PM |#7  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 14

More
He's saying, move both keys. Generally the private key is left on the system that generated it, but that doesn't need to be the case. At least as far as I know.
14th December 2010, 01:58 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
First off, brilliant app! It's exactly what I have been looking for to save me a huge amount of time and effort. Currently I was doing this by hand because I've had bad experiences with sdcards suddenly just stop working meaning I loose everything.

I have set a range of profiles up and had Tasker kick them off daily however I am at a loss how to get --exclude-from '/sdcard/excludefile.txt' working. When ever I run a profile it states:
Quote:

rsync: failed to open exclude file '/sdcard/excludefile.txt' : No such file or directory (2)
rsync error : error in file IO (code 11) at exclude.c(1062) [client=3.0.6]

What I'm wanting to do is have the following profiles
Quote:

/ -> /home/user/mobile/dellstreak/
[exclude sdcard exclude*]

/sdcard -> /home/user/mobile/dellstreak/sdcard
[exclude DCIM audio ebooks video media rings downloads temp exclude*]

/sdcard/DCIM -> /home/user/mobile/dellstreak/sdcard/DCIM

You can see what I'm wanting to do, I want a little more control over some profiles i.e. so I can backup DCIM whilst out and about or back up the sdcard without backing up all my music, videos etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
14th December 2010, 10:01 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Try filename without the quotes:
--exclude-from /sdcard/excludefile.txt
Currently custom parameters parser takes arguments literally. Splitting is done using space as a delimited. That's why spaces in filenames won't work and rsync think that your filename is '/sdcard/excludefile.txt' (file excludefile.txt' in directory '/sdcard) instead of /sdcard/excludefile.txt
The Following User Says Thank You to mkowalczuk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mkowalczuk Ad-Free
14th December 2010, 10:22 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

To connect from Linux to Android... Yes. But pretty sure that won't work for Android to Linux, which is what I'd think you'd normally do?

Yes, it will work. If you don't believe me, check it for yourself. In fact I initially generated my private key on my Linux box (using dropbearkey), then tested method with dropbearconvert.

Please notice that what you're generating is key pair, which means that it will work as long as you put public key in remote side's authorized_keys (no matter what system it is and where it was generated) and authenticate using corresponding private key.
14th December 2010, 05:23 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 108

Donate to Me
More
Been using it for weeks now, I love it.

You should document a few things, such as how to create a dropbear key from a standard key.

Confirmation number: 9X233376XY8982101.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, backup, rsync
Previous Thread Next Thread