FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Ref] Nook Color Links |Guides|How To|Utilities| Etc. 12/26 Read FIRST =)

6,158 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,726

By Mikey, Retired Senior Moderator on 13th December 2010, 11:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
[CENTER]This thread will list and link to all threads worthy of being "stickied"

Please leave your suggestions for new threads to be added to this list below and a moderator will attend to this as and when necessary.

This thread will be cleaned once the suggestions have been added, so please don't be offended if your post disappears.
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Mikey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mikey Ad-Free

3rd February 2011, 02:02 PM |#2  
Flag Hell aka Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 41

Donate to Me
More
ROMS:
Kernels:
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to NuroSlam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NuroSlam Ad-Free
1st March 2011, 11:48 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Instructions for burning SD cards http://nookdevs.com/Nookie_FroYo:_Bu...otable_SD_card
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xtravbx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xtravbx Ad-Free
29th March 2011, 07:13 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Walkthrough of Froyo SD install, configuration, and overclocking
Anyone who is a bit confused and not sure where to begin or what's involved in the process, I wrote up a little guide to help:

How to Pick your Nook Color Operating System and Install Options

And then for those who need a helping hand for the individual install flavors, check out the guides I wrote:

If you're having stability / force close / file corruption trouble with an SD installed OS (like verygreen's), or just want to install internally, here's my guide to installing phiremod to eMMC (internal memory):

Guide to Installing CyanogenMod 7 (phiremod flavor) on eMMC

For anyone looking to install CyanogenMod 7 with Dalingrin's overclocking and Bluetooth on your Nook Color (via SD card) I just wrote a little guide, particular good for newbies or people having trouble:

Guide to Installing CyanogenMod 7 on an SD card

And if you want to run Froyo off SD with the Dalingrin OC kernel and all the apps/configurations you'd need to really start off right. It refers out to the various other documents and links you'll need, like the NookDev SD card creation doc, their tips and tricks, the Dalingrin OC kernel thread, and adds a list of other changes/apps most users might want to have. I wrote it because if you're like me and don't do this on a regular basis you benefit from a bit of hand holding, and having all the steps arranged in order across the various disparate guides. So, if you think it's useful, great!

Walkthrough of Froyo Install, Configuration, Overclocking on a Nook Color

And if you are unclear on what ClockworkMod is and how to use it, I'm working on a:
Unofficial ClockworkMod / ROM Manager / ClockworkMod Recovery Manual

^ Quinxy
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to quinxy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift quinxy Ad-Free
3rd April 2011, 05:10 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by movrshakr

Well, I hate "me too" posts, but...me too.

I just discovered Nook was hackable today and have been reading all over, but honestly, I don't know how to do it (bear in mind, it took me four weeks of reading before flashing my phone), AND...

I don't know what the Nook "looks like" after you do it. Is it a Nook with more features (i.e., still a reader, but more)? Is it a tablet computer and not reader-centric any more? Is it one thing if run from the card and still Nook if run without the card? What?

And guide writer, whoever you turn out to be, you will have more friends than you know what to do with.

DISCLAIMER: this is based on my limited understanding as a noob. It may be missing in some details, but as "a general idea", it should be fine.

I cant give you an efficient walkthrough of the "how-to"s but I'll give an overview so you can know what your dealing with. The "how-to"s are already existing all over xda, theyre just intimidating when you dont know what they mean and they appear like an intermingled mess.

As I see it there are basically three different paths for hacking your Nook. First you have to decide which one you want to try, narrow it down to a particular ROM or build, then use that particular "how-to". Then its not so bad.

1. Root the original B&N software, keeping the e-reader centric OS in tact,
adding the ability to install other android features such as the Android
Market (i.e all sorts of apps like youtube, etc) as well as the ability to
overclock your processor (speed up the device). All the threads with "Auto-
nooter" in the title refer to this method.

2. Run a bootable version of android via an SD card. This puts a full
version of Android OS like Froyo (2.2) or Honycomb (3.0) on an SD card
which you can then put in the Nook. Turn it on and you boot into a full
Android experience. You will not have the B&N e-reader software but you can
install the Nook app from the market and sync your B&N purchases (its not
as fancy, but it gets the job done). This is one of the easier methods and it is
also nice to be able to take the SD card out anytime and boot into your
original device untouched. All the threads with "Bootable, SD card, SD
bootable, etc" refer to this.

3. The third method is EMMC. This, like the second method, replaces the B&N e-
reader software, but the difference is it actually installs an Android system
onto the Nooks internal hardware instead of running off an SD card. For this
you use ClockworkMod and the process isnt that intimidating once you
actually get started and just follow the instructions. (took me two weeks to
face it. once i did it was fairly straight forward).

In my opinion each has its pros and cons, but these are mostly due to my personal preferences. I dont have so much know-how so firstly I want things to be retard proof "one-click" simple. Others may not have this criteria.

I personally like bootable SDs but for me the only real draw back is that the ROM i prefer the most is not available as a bootable SD (at least not yet... ) (mad-murdock has done a great job http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1002000)

If you want me to point you in any particular direction (a how-to or a ROM, etc) based on my limited experience as a noob, just PM me. I'll write back according to what I may have learned. Just dont bother asking about the first method, it seemed to complicated to get the market working so I never tried it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IndivisibleP For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IndivisibleP Ad-Free
4th April 2011, 04:25 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Thanks for updating the list, NuroSlam!

Is this pretty complete, or are there projects missing? It's honestly pretty confusing what with all the independent distributions people are rolling up and borrowing from one another...

Great, but confusing.

Edit: For example, what about "[ROM][CM7] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards. with updater" ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957 ) ?
11th April 2011, 07:54 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
NuroSlam, I'm not sure where this would fit in your list, but the only way I know of to create a bootable CM7 ROM on microSD without modifying the internal eMMC or having to use two different SD cards is jtbnet's procedure at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1022786

That's the method I used yesterday and it worked well. Thanks...
17th April 2011, 12:16 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Booting into CWR from a running ROM (not bootable SD card)
This seems as a place as any to ask this question, I can not get my Nook, running CM7 stable with Dalingrens 4/13a OC kernel, to go into Recovery from ROM manager. I have RM installed, 3.0.1.0 and when I hold the power button down and select "Reboot" into Recovery ---- it reboots and comes right back to the ROM. Now on another site someone claims their Nook will boot right into Recovery no problem. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Ronin

P.S. I have a bootable SD set aside to flash, but it is a pain vs just going str8 to CWR without switching SD cards.

http://db.tt/oFLnqic
ace7196
26th April 2011, 11:13 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Could the OP maybe change the title a bit and add some common issues so far that can be fixed?

I can dig up how to do them, but the things I'm talking about are:

wifi:
- if you've ever touched airplane mode, edit the sql file
- if you're running the latest kernel, try to "forget" your networks, then try again
- enable ad-hoc

app won't work:
- boot into CWR, fix permissions
- set proper wallpapers
- just because it comes in zip format doesn't mean to use CWR!

system tweaks:
- getting hulu to work
- custom boot animation
- flashing new kernels

There just seems to be a lot of things that need to be seen by others that cannot unless they read every thread (most don't, resulting in a lot of multiple posts).
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
6th May 2011, 10:55 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdabr

NuroSlam, I'm not sure where this would fit in your list, but the only way I know of to create a bootable CM7 ROM on microSD without modifying the internal eMMC or having to use two different SD cards is jtbnet's procedure at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1022786

That's the method I used yesterday and it worked well. Thanks...

This link here worked fine for me: Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards. with updater

- Aerlock
24th May 2011, 08:01 PM |#11  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 335

More
Question Make sticky request: [HOW-TO] Repartition NC ...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=14102514
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanGibson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DeanGibson Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)