FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Permanently disable android market update

444 posts
Thanks Meter: 45

By @Class, Senior Member on 17th December 2010, 04:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

How can I permanently disable the Android market application from updating? I've used uninstaller to remove the update, but it seems Android thinks it has the authority to automatically update it self when it so pleases.

Is this not a violation of the TOS? How can I permanently prevent the Android Market application from installing updates?

The new version is a usability nightmare. Over half the screen is allocated to the stupid green top to which "google" will eventually be pushing their own advertised applications. Its absolutely brutal and unusable in its current form.

My phone is rooted if that makes a difference: IE change the permissions of the Android Market.apk so no one has the privilege to change write it.

17th December 2010, 04:53 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Android apps don't update themselves unless you allow them by checking the "automatic update" box. Uncheck that and see what happen. I've never encounter an app updates itself without my permission, unless I misunderstand your question?
17th December 2010, 05:21 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Try something like:

adb shell chmod 555 /system/app/Vending.apk
adb shell cp /system/app/vending.apk /data/app/
adb shell chmod 555 /data/app/Vending.apk
17th December 2010, 05:55 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuthanvinh

Android apps don't update themselves unless you allow them by checking the "automatic update" box. Uncheck that and see what happen. I've never encounter an app updates itself without my permission, unless I misunderstand your question?

Yes, you misunderstood the question. The OP is talking about the actual Android Market itself. It automatically updates itself as soon as you launch the Market.
17th December 2010, 06:33 PM |#5  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,188

More
The funny thing is that the OP hasn't counted how many apps are shown in the old version vs the new version.
17th December 2010, 07:00 PM |#6  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

The funny thing is that the OP hasn't counted how many apps are shown in the old version vs the new version.

Take a look at where the scrollbars are. The new version is displaying less, from those screenshots.
17th December 2010, 07:01 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Perfectly useable.
17th December 2010, 11:46 PM |#8  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I just got the update, and yeah, this was really badly done.

Apparently loading the market now starts on your downloads list, which I find to be rather useless - I'm in the market to search or browse, and already have the main app list for this...

The curved upper part is pointless and just makes it feel more cramped, since it blocks most of whatever's at that part of the scrolling. It also keeps changing size, depending on what part of the Market you're in, rather disorienting.

The amount of lag is at the HOLY CRAP level, at least on the main screen that contains "Featured Apps". I had to put my phone down and wait just now because it completely stopped responding..

Now, let's go into "Apps"...

There are new subcategories, which is nice, but the Featured Apps are still there. Why? It's just a waste of space at this point.

Selecting an app, it's just a big mess. The curved upper part that has contained nothing but "Featured Apps" and the selector for Paid/Free/New now contains the image, name, and install/open/update/uninstall buttons, as well as the rating. I did ignore it for a short bit, expecting more ads, but then I realized - all the update/install/etc buttons in the entire market have been moved from the bottom of the screen to the top. And they're smaller, and their styles are different, so it's not immediately apparent.

Why is the Description automatically in "Less" mode? What happened to the nice tabs for Description, Comments, and Related that I had - now it's all smooshed back onto one page MySpace style..

I also see Allow Automatic Updates takes up... Wow, 3 lines, large gaps, and 1/3rd of my screen. Much more than it used to, for identical functionality. Again, why?

I think I'm going to redownload the AppBrain app for my searches. The "Update All" button is all I'll want from here.
18th December 2010, 03:49 AM |#9  
Retired Senior Moderator / Mod. Cttee. Retired - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 19,507

More
I have no problems with the new market and it only loads the downloads page if that was the last page I was on and didnt close it completely and just put it in the background. IT may be device or Android version dependent as I have the update on a Captivate, Streak, and a LG ally and they all have almost no lag that I can notice.
18th December 2010, 05:12 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Mine is working perfectly fine and only starts on the downloads page if I used the "home" button to exit the market rather than hitting back until it exited out. No lag and downloads seem to be faster as well. I am rooted and overclocked on a Droid X if that matters.
18th December 2010, 02:28 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Have to agree with OP and Izkata, this is terrible from a usability standpoint; way too much scrolling and clicking to look at things like descriptions and comments on the details screen. Tabs just make more sense for that. Not to mention that when I'm browsing for apps, that curved upper section takes anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 of my screen. Major fail on this one.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)