FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[JIT Updated 31/12/10] Frozen Eclair- For 2.21 & AND NOW 2.34.1 Firmwares

1,556 posts
Thanks Meter: 651

By Higgsy, Senior Member on 19th December 2010, 11:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Firstly I am posting this with permission of [email protected] Modaco. All props go to him for the origina JIT files - buy him a beer or summat.

Original Thread (Modaco)

For all those asking what JIT is this is a good explanation:

What is JIT for Android

Please don't flood the thread asking what JIT is - Google is your friend.

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any damage to your phone, your PC or indeed your life from following this guide. The steps in this guide worked for me. Doing this kind of thing could affect your warranty and all that so have a long hard think about it before you go ahead. If anything goes wrong and you get into a bootloop or something then use my debricking guide posted in this forum. Make a backup first by Tenfars Clockwork Mod for Defy

After I attempted JIT in a half arsed way previously and not getting good results (force closes etc). Antibyte has done it the right way and compile his "Frozen Eclair" JIT package.

NB: if you have removed apps this will add them back in as it is based on all the apps from the stock rom.

Ok So this is super easy now - one update.zip applied via Tenfars Clockworkmod Recovery Get it Here! - so no excuses not to give it a try! You won't be sorry.

As always start by making a backup via Clockwork Recovery.

There are now 2 packages - Choose the one for the the appropriate stock ROM you use (2.21 or 2.34.1), make sure you choose the right one for godsake or bad things will most probably happen!

Download FrozenEclairDefy_V2.zip Here for 2.21 Stock ROMs

Download FrozenEclair_V2.34.1.zip Here from 2.34.1 No Blur Stock ROMs

Instructions:

Place the FrozenEclair.....zip on the root of your sdcard
Boot into recovery
Select "Install zip from SDCARD"
Select "Choose zip from sdcard"
Select FrozenEclairDefy......zip from the list
Select "YES - Install - FrozenEclair......zip

The above will then install and then you just need to reboot. 1st boot will take longer than usual while it rebuilds the dalvik cache.

For some reason this removes root, so just reroot by Z4Root or your preferred method once the phone has rebooted. This will also mean you will have to reapply your overclock if you use milestone overclock (well it did for me anyways!)

##If you get any untoward things happening like force closes/apps not working my advice is to 1) reflash the .sbf (you follow my guide for this) and if that doesn't work 2)do a full wipe of all data. This is hacking and stuff like that happens all the time so be prepared##

MY Advice if you want to change to 2.34.1 ROM from 2.21. Follow this process:

• Back up all user apps/their data by titanium backup.
  • Boot into recovery and make a backup of your 2.21 ROM.
  • Then wipe data/cache in the recovery options.
  • Using the debranding guide, flash the 2.34.1 firmware.
  • After 1st boot it will be as if you have a new phone.
  • Install z4root - root the badboy.
  • Then after reboot install Tenfars ClockworkMod - apply the mod and boot into it
  • Flash the deodex/JIT package.
  • After 1st reboot, reroot with Z4root.
  • Reinstall titanium back up from the market and reinstall you user apps/data.
  • Reset up your system settings.
  • Once you've got it back how you like it, boot back into recovery and back up the new rom.

So to reitterate thanks for this go to:

Antibyte @ Modaco for the JIT Files and full Update.zip 2.21 ROM
Paul @ Modaco for the deodexed/optimised app/framework for the 2.21 ROM
Me for the XDA guide and the original Update.zip for V1 and the deodexed app/framework for 2.34.1 ROM, and the JIT update.zip
Sorensiim for the generous hosting of all my files, meaning direct downloads and no shady file sharing sites - good lad!

Changelog:

19/12/10:

Frozen Eclair V1 - JIT For Defy
Tut on deodexing rom
Update.zip for installing JIT

20/12/10:

Frozen Eclair V2 - JIT For Defy
Recompiled and more optimisations
Whole process automated in 1 easy update.zip that includes deodexing and installing JIT.
Tut/OP updated to reflect the above changes

31/12/10:

Frozen Eclair V2.34.1 for 2.34.1 No Blur Stock ROM released
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Higgsy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Higgsy Ad-Free
19th December 2010, 12:19 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Wow! A preemptive thanks from me to you and the guys at Modaco!

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App
19th December 2010, 12:36 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hey

stupid question maybe, but what is JIT good for?
19th December 2010, 12:39 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
so what is JIT exactly? ( all i know so far is that it makes your quadrant scores higher :P so i assume it makes your phone faster in general or onlky in games?) and have you had any problems yet?
19th December 2010, 12:41 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Great ! But what's MCR optimised ?
19th December 2010, 12:50 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Smethvegas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendael

Great ! But what's MCR optimised ?

Paul runs the apks through his optimisation process, I don't know exactly what it does, but i trust Paul -but if you don't then just use the standard deodexed apps
The Following User Says Thank You to Higgsy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Higgsy Ad-Free
19th December 2010, 01:00 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Smethvegas

More
For those that don't know I have added a link to the OP which gives a pretty decent explanation for what JIT for android is, or you could google "what is android jit" and you''ll find plenty of info lets use this thread to discuss this mod and any bugs etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Higgsy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Higgsy Ad-Free
19th December 2010, 02:06 PM |#8  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I just read the introduction of Dalvik JIT. This is really amazing. I will try it later, since it will affect the warranty anyway.
19th December 2010, 02:15 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Everythings works well. Quadrant with 900 mhz before JIT= 1175. Quadrant with 900 mhz with JIT installed = 1280. Thanks Paul! Good work. Keep it up.
19th December 2010, 03:26 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Wow this sounds great! Thanks.
19th December 2010, 04:38 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Can anyone tell me why i get an Unrecognized option '-h' for dalvikvm -h? I wanted to test if JIT is realy enabled.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
jit, xt720

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)