FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Anyone got Swype beta working on Archos?

847 posts
Thanks Meter: 178

By Techngro, Senior Member on 22nd December 2010, 02:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I registered and whatnot at Swype's website, but when I clicked the download link, it says that I don't have an Android phone. Which is technically true, but it's still an android device.

Has anyone found a workaround for this? Or is there a way to get the apk sideloaded.

Thx in advance.

22nd December 2010, 02:45 AM |#2  
Flag Kiel
Thanks Meter: 1

More
There are other ways to get the apk on your device and I tried some of them.
I didn't get it working!

Problem is the resolution:

Archos 101:
1024x600 - It's the same resolution as the Galaxy Tab which comes with Swype.

But you have to substract some space for the softkeys. So the 'visible area' is something like 980x600.

Archos 70:
800x480 - same resolution as on other devices but also you have to substract the softkeys, i think.

I think at the moment there's no swype version which supports those resolutions! :-/

EDIT:
I only tried on 101.
But to get the beta link working you have to switch off the "Desktop User Agent" in the default browsers preferences.
So you could try on your Archos 70 and report back!
22nd December 2010, 10:15 AM |#3  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Doesn't work for A32 or A28 because both are based in qvga resolutions. Signed up anyways in case i get an update for it.

Sent from my A32
22nd December 2010, 12:46 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Why would anyone use Sqype on a display larger than 5"? I fail to see the benefit of swyping such long distances in comparison to a good onscreen keyboard like smartkeyboard pro.
22nd December 2010, 02:13 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashban

Why would anyone use Sqype on a display larger than 5"? I fail to see the benefit of swyping such long distances in comparison to a good onscreen keyboard like smartkeyboard pro.

Well people without hands can swype with there stumps.
22nd December 2010, 02:32 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I tried several versions Swype with no luck. SlideIT Pro 2.1 works just like it does on the smartphones. The only problem is that the very far right of the keyboard is covered up by the Android buttons.
22nd December 2010, 03:00 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
sywpe
Well you need to use swype for WVGA screens. Looks really nice plus it's faster then regular typing. I use the multi cracked version so no need for beta keys =D
22nd December 2010, 03:14 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadeace9

Well you need to use swype for WVGA screens. Looks really nice plus it's faster then regular typing. I use the multi cracked version so no need for beta keys =D

What was that? A multi cracked pepper version? Please do tell more...Like

When
Where
How
Why
When
26th December 2010, 01:44 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Forgetting the "why" for a moment. There is evidence that Swype works on the A70:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrXer6bo8iQ

Look at time index 2:14 on this video.
28th December 2010, 03:31 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
It certainly does work. The keys are huge in portrait and in landscape the . key is almost not visible.
28th December 2010, 06:24 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I tried the wvga version but keeps FC'ing... I think might be cause of screen size not supported..!!!

I found SwiftKey to be the best and lag free till now...

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)