[MOD] Epic4G EXT4 Support [Froyo Only] [No More RFS!][Updated/Fixed v1.3]

974 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,143

By Dameon87, Inactive Recognized Developer on 28th December 2010, 07:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
THIS METHOD IS NOW DEPRECATED! PLEASE USE THE NEW METHOD HERE:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=897612

================================================== ================

Alright so I finally have completed this into the range of acceptable.

These instructions MUST BE FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER.
For a video tutorial of the One click you may watch this: http://youtu.be/0MFQJpgVqeU?hd=1 [Thanks Alot leatherneck6017!]

For a Video tutorial of the flashable zip, you can watch this: http://youtu.be/77-PYDtETxQ?hd=1 [Thanks again leatherneck!]

Firstly you need to download the following: [UPDATED!]
http://efragtv.com/android/OneClickEXT4.v1.3.zip
IF YOU WANT TO USE THE FLASHABLE .ZIP METHOD DOWNLOAD THIS AND PUT IT ON YOUR SDCARD: http://efragtv.com/android/EXT4-Formatter.zip
This file contains all you need to use adb, format your partitions to ext4, and be on the way to using EXT4.

Start by downloading from the link above and extracting somewhere on your computer.

NOTE: This does not currently work when coming from Cyanogen! Flash to normal DK28, or wait for the CM version later tonight!

Next you need to download and install the One Click Root/Clockwork mod redirector, or if you are running quantum rom 2.1, you are good to go.

From inside android, enable USB Debugging (Settings->Application->Development)

Copy the two zip files from the OneClickEXT4 directory in the first step, and place them on your SDCard (You can use adb push, usb mass storage, or an sdcard reader)

Now you need to open up a command prompt in windows. To do this, Hit either Start->Run, or Hold the Windows Key and hit R, and type in cmd and hit enter.
Next you need to type : cd /path/you/extracted/OneClickEXT4
Now type the following into that window and hit enter:
Code:
adb reboot recovery
The phone will now reboot into clockwork mod.
Now flash the prepare.zip file included in the OneClick.
After the file is done flashing, use adb reboot recovery again
Code:
adb reboot recovery
[NOTE : If it says device not found, unplug the phone, and replug the cable and try again]

Now if everything went well, you are now in the modified ClockWork Mod recovery, and you should see the version number 2.5.1.2 at the top.

From here you have two choices. You can use the old One Click .bat file method, or you can use the new, and much easier, flashable .zip method.

For the OLD ONE CLICK METHOD:

You need to run the install-ext4.bat file. To run it, simply double click on it. Make sure your phone is connected and seen by adb.
[NOTE : If it says device not found, unplug the phone, and replug the cable and try again]

For the NEW FLASHABLE .ZIP METHOD:
At this point, make sure it says 2.5.1.2 at the top of your screen. If it does, simply flash the EXT4-Formatter.zip file you downloaded earlier. THIS WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. It takes a while to format the partitions.
After it is finished, DO NOT REBOOT.
Flash your ROM of choice, and then flash the kernel included in the OneClick.

This will format /cache /data and /system to ext4

YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON THE PHONE

After this is complete, you may flash a DK28 ROM . I recommend Quantum Rom v2.5.0.

Please note that until other ROMs add support (namely the new recovery binary in /system/bin/recoveryfiles) I cannot guarantee recovery will function properly.

HUGE NOTE: AFTER FLASHING THE ROM, YOU MUST FLASH THE KERN-DK28EXT4.zip FILE !!!

After this is complete, you may now reboot.
You now have EXT4, and no more RFS

[NOTE: NOT CURRENTLY COMPATIBLE WITH CYANOGEN MOD, I WILL BE PORTING IT OVER THIS WEEK]
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Dameon87 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dameon87 Ad-Free

28th December 2010, 07:25 AM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Thank you to KitsunePaws, ^Scientific, and Hello in IRC for testing. You are all awesome =]

Thank you to everyone who let me bounce ideas off of them.

Thanks to noobnl for the help with performance tweaks. =]
28th December 2010, 07:33 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
can you please explain the benefits of this in short? thanks
28th December 2010, 07:34 AM |#4  
Flag GMT-5
Thanks Meter: 516

More
After completing this procedure, how hard would it be to revert back to RFS?
28th December 2010, 07:37 AM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Reverting to RFS is possible, but not easy yet. I'll have to make an uninstaller.

Benefits to this are:

I/O performance increased, and huge amounts of responsiveness increase. The phone flies, in short.

Try the new ADW EX launcher with it and you will **** a brick (And no, not your phone )
The Following User Says Thank You to Dameon87 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dameon87 Ad-Free
28th December 2010, 07:40 AM |#6  

More
will an odin help with Reverting to RFS?
28th December 2010, 07:43 AM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Of course. Odin will fix it.

I will have reverting scripts up later this week.

Ext4 is a HUGE step for the Epic.

I really hope other devs adopt this and we get things rolling.
28th December 2010, 07:46 AM |#8  

More
got it, also, you wrote "Now you need to open a command prompt and navigate to your adb directory " can you guide me thru this? thanks
28th December 2010, 07:47 AM |#9  
Flag GMT-5
Thanks Meter: 516

More
Oh ok, so to go back to RFS one just needs to use Odin. I wanted to make sure because I've heard a lot of horror stories from other Galaxy S users having problems because they didn't correctly remove their "lag fix."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericizzy1

got it, also, you wrote "Now you need to open a command prompt and navigate to your adb directory " can you guide me thru this? thanks

If you don't have an understanding of how adb works, you should look at an existing guide like this one.
28th December 2010, 07:50 AM |#10  
HOUSTON TEXAS
Thanks Meter: 715

More
Wow no one done this yet?
Ill be the test pig (can't spell genea pig lol)
Downloading now

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
28th December 2010, 08:00 AM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Lemme know on results =]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)