FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Excellent Task Manager / Cache Cleaner

1,737 posts
Thanks Meter: 805
 
By Bandage, Senior Member on 28th December 2010, 04:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Been using Quick System Info PRO for the past few days, and am truly impressed! Multi-functional as a task manager to close / ignore running apps...cache cleaner keeps system from bogging down. Process tracking / cpu usage tracking. Tons of system specs available to view, etc. Uninstall apps directly from this as well. Find out exactly what apps start on boot up, and trim as you see fit.

I know memory is at a premium for us Archos IT users...I encourage you to check this app out. It's a little more complicated than your standard task killer, but truly helps trim things down. Best of all, it's free! Option to donate to disable ads, I donated just cuz the dev blew me away with this app!!

Enjoy, and please offer up your own opinions!
 
 
30th December 2010, 03:54 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
More
How do u change what programs run on startup? I downloaded it and its good but I don't see that feature.
30th December 2010, 12:59 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Stafford
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Task killers (apparently) shouldn't be used on Android (generally... there are always exceptions)
If an Android app is created properly, it shouldn't be eating away at the RAM, and Android will free up what it needs.
If it killed everything, then the multitasking feature will be as useless as Apple's

I won't explain further, I'll just link Lifehacker instead:
http://lifehacker.com/5650894/androi...uldnt-use-them

Please note: Although I don't use task killers my self, I don't disagree with them. I'm just putting this out there so you can make your own minds up
30th December 2010, 06:33 PM |#4  
Bandage's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Meter: 805
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkaygibbon

Task killers (apparently) shouldn't be used on Android (generally... there are always exceptions)
If an Android app is created properly, it shouldn't be eating away at the RAM, and Android will free up what it needs.
If it killed everything, then the multitasking feature will be as useless as Apple's

I won't explain further, I'll just link Lifehacker instead:
http://lifehacker.com/5650894/androi...uldnt-use-them

Please note: Although I don't use task killers my self, I don't disagree with them. I'm just putting this out there so you can make your own minds up

While I certainly agree with this...do you own an Archos? Task Killer is almost necessary for the Archos 70it. Until they increase memory allocations, the need to minimize what's running at startup or any given time is absolutely needed.
30th December 2010, 07:14 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandage

While I certainly agree with this...do you own an Archos? Task Killer is almost necessary for the Archos 70it. Until they increase memory allocations, the need to minimize what's running at startup or any given time is absolutely needed.

I agree but I still can't figure out how to configure the startup. Can you let me know how?
31st December 2010, 02:12 AM |#6  
blazingwolf's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 409
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandage

While I certainly agree with this...do you own an Archos? Task Killer is almost necessary for the Archos 70it. Until they increase memory allocations, the need to minimize what's running at startup or any given time is absolutely needed.

I disagree. They are not needed. I don't use one on my 101.
31st December 2010, 06:51 AM |#7  
Bandage's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Meter: 805
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf

I disagree. They are not needed. I don't use one on my 101.

So what are you using your tablet for? Reading ebooks? If you have more than 1 user process running at a time, in addition to system processes it gets bogged down. Android is great at multitasking...256k RAM is not. I have my 70 trimmed down to skinny, having removed some bloatware apps. Normal is around 55-60% of RAM usage during standby.

If I decide to break out a game, like Dungeon Hunter or another system hog...I run into occassional FC's if I haven't freed up some RAM. A TASK MANAGER helps me select the things I want to shut down to free that RAM for an app / process that I choose to run. Stop confusing TASK KILLER with TASK MANAGER. (Was a typo in my response earlier) Yes the app allows me to kill tasks, the difference is...I'm killing what I CHOOSE to kill.

PS - I haven't done much to alter start up apps thru this Manager, just have used it to trim fat and gain control of my RAM usage.
1st January 2011, 02:18 AM |#8  
blazingwolf's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 409
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandage

So what are you using your tablet for? Reading ebooks? If you have more than 1 user process running at a time, in addition to system processes it gets bogged down. Android is great at multitasking...256k RAM is not. I have my 70 trimmed down to skinny, having removed some bloatware apps. Normal is around 55-60% of RAM usage during standby.

If I decide to break out a game, like Dungeon Hunter or another system hog...I run into occassional FC's if I haven't freed up some RAM. A TASK MANAGER helps me select the things I want to shut down to free that RAM for an app / process that I choose to run. Stop confusing TASK KILLER with TASK MANAGER. (Was a typo in my response earlier) Yes the app allows me to kill tasks, the difference is...I'm killing what I CHOOSE to kill.

PS - I haven't done much to alter start up apps thru this Manager, just have used it to trim fat and gain control of my RAM usage.

Play games, read books, video, music, etc. Just about anything you can do with it.
1st January 2011, 06:06 PM |#9  
Member
Flag Gijon
Thanks Meter: 29
 
Donate to Me
More
I also used to have a task killer and decided to install Watchdog which works in a different way. Works a lot better that all the rest of the task killers I have used and did not have any issues. Apps run smooth even if I have more than one running.
2nd January 2011, 06:11 PM |#10  
cajl's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag near PARIS (94)
Thanks Meter: 167
 
Donate to Me
More
thanks

i use this apk
3rd January 2011, 02:24 AM |#11  
Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandage

Been using Quick System Info PRO for the past few days, and am truly impressed! Multi-functional as a task manager to close / ignore running apps...cache cleaner keeps system from bogging down. Process tracking / cpu usage tracking. Tons of system specs available to view, etc. Uninstall apps directly from this as well. Find out exactly what apps start on boot up, and trim as you see fit.

I know memory is at a premium for us Archos IT users...I encourage you to check this app out. It's a little more complicated than your standard task killer, but truly helps trim things down. Best of all, it's free! Option to donate to disable ads, I donated just cuz the dev blew me away with this app!!

Enjoy, and please offer up your own opinions!

There is a YouTube video showing why not to use a taskiller, and how much lag there is when you kill all the apps, let them cache in the OS and its faster, don't be afraid of having low memory, this was done on the 70 tab 8 gig, sorry for no link, its one of the top ones.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes